• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving from Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy2015

Hey Guys,
I'm considering a move to the UK next year from Australia. I'm an Aus citizen and under 30 so would most likely be coming over on the youth work visa. Could anyone employed in the industry please give me a guide to how successful I'd be in getting work as a qualified driver.

I'm currently a qualified mainline freight train driver in aus, operating 2500-4000 tonne trains at a max of 115 km/h

Cheers,
Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
In short you won't be considered for qualified Driver vacancies because you're not qualified here. Your Australian qualification doesn't carry over to the UK however your experience would help you in applying for Trainee Driver vacancies. You'd still be required to go through the whole process including psychometric tests.

scotraildriver

Established Member
You would certainly be looked upon favourably provided you passed the tests to which I'm sure you must have a similar system in Australia.

redbutton

Aussie rules and signalling are based heavily on ours, so many Australian drivers do find the transition easy. However, as others have noted, there is no formal recognition so Australian applicants would have to enter as trainees.

I'm sure you would go to the top of the hiring pile once you've passed the psychometric assessments, though.

[Edit: craigybagel makes a good point about the above being contingent on the applicant having the proper immigration status without sponsorship. Usually, this would be right of abode or indefinite leave to remain.]

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Most trainee driver jobs require you to have a permanent right to reside and work in the UK, since they need you to stick around if they want to recoup the training costs. Do you have those rights?

theironroad

Established Member
Unfortunately, without an unlimited right to live in the uk, it will be pretty much impossible.

You'd need to do the full uk trainee programme, despite being qualified and that takes about a year on its own. Your productive driving would be minimal.

You may be able to get a depot driving job, and pretty much any other role as (at least with my toc) as they often only want 6 months on a visa. However, the cost and length of mainline driving training means their would be no return on their costs.

Sorry to be a downer on it.

Last edited:

Dannyboy2015

No not at all, thankyou for the input. I would most certainly consider depot driving type roles for the sake of having a good job on the railway whilst overseas. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.