• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple liveries on one train

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Talking about "Project Rio" (MMLs London to Manchester service during the WCML blockades) got me thinking about how many of the HST sets were in multiple liveries, and how since privatisation this has been something that has been fairly common with HSTs and hauled stock (and on occasion units).

The best I've seen is 4 liveries in one train. One was an MML set which had a Virgin Powercar at one end, an FGW "fag packed" powercar at the other (early during Rio a FGW set was hired in to help cover whilst the ex-Virgin sets were still being prepared and refurbished), and the trailers included old MML "bambie", new MML and Virgin.
The other one was 'one', a set containing Virgin, Anglia, Intercity and 'one' livery. I think it was AR01 which had it's DBSO vinyled in 'one' livery (incase the DVT could not be used for the launch), was mostly still in Intercity other than it's buffet which had been swapped for an Anglia one, and had a Virgin 90.
Of cource pre-privatisation it happened too, I remember the HSTs at one point carrying Blue-Grey, Executive and Swallow. It's been the fairly rapid changes of livery and reallocations that has caused the issue since privatisation.

When livery changes occur, 2 liveries on a train are very common, particularly hauled sets or HSTs where locos or powercars are painted seperate to the coaches, and swap around a lot. It's amusing how quick after a launch a set will get mixed up, usually within days of launch. Mostly though it's coaches in one livery, loco or powercars in another, wheras mixed coaching sets are a little rarer (as least in more recent times) as they tend to be pretty fixed formation.

Oviously railtours can throw up a variety of liveries, especially these days with many sets of ex TOC Mk2s running around in their old liveries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
EMT HSTs ran around with some MML and some EMT

Although this technically doesn't count but I saw a 158+153 which between had this branding/livery
Arriva TPE
First TPE
Central
EMT
Regional railways

well for a little while the class 170/1's when they transfered to CrossCountry had the orange stripe from MML just about visible, Central Trains Green and blue livery as the main livery (and you could see the deer is from MML under it) and then you had CrossCountry's new logo on the side

MCR247

Established Member
No exMML 170s got CT liveried any further than logos website and (( ))

The Engineer

We had a Class 334 unit running round around Chrstmas time with new "Scotrail Blue" vinyls on the cab and old Strathclyde on the rest of the train. This was due to stock shortage over that period.

I believe it has the full new livery now!!

NXEA are a pretty good one with multiple liveries. Maybe not so much one one train, but theres certainly a mixed bag across the fleet.
Whilst the loco hauled stock is pretty standard with either 'one' or NC13 in NX Livery, the odd hired in loco adds a different flavour. More recently 90018 in EWS and 90036 in Grey, along with NX's own 003, 008 and 015 in NX, with the remainder in 'one'.
Theres the 321's, whilst they operate with a maximum of 12 coaches, there's still a variety of liveries which can be seen- FGE, Silverlink, NXEA silver, NXEA plain White, 321446 in a pretty shabby 'one' livery, and more recently, hired in 321411 in London Midland livery.

On the 317 front, there was 317729 that carried the orange Stansted livery (now in NX livery), 317649-651 that until recently carried the WAGN livery (now in plain White). The others are in either NX silver or 'one' (minus the rainbow).

Moving north to Crown Point, there's still a handful of 153's in Anglia railways livery, 156412 & 418 in CT livery, 156419 in NX, 402 in 'Chapelfield' advertising livery, and the remainder in 'one'. 170201-208 in 'one', 170270 in 'one', and 170271-273 in Anglia livery.

More often than not, the EMU's work in multiple so a mixed bag of liveries can be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM

Established Member
We had 5 different liveries on the Chiltern loco-hauled set at one point. EWS liveried loco, Chiltern blue DVT and coaches in BR blue, VT red and WSMR silver.

me123

Established Member
We had a Class 334 unit running round around Chrstmas time with new "Scotrail Blue" vinyls on the cab and old Strathclyde on the rest of the train. This was due to stock shortage over that period.

I believe it has the full new livery now!!

Yep 334006 and 334012 were quickly reliveried for the grand opening of Airdrie-Bathgate (because an SNP transport minister can't be seen next to an SPT liveried train for obvious reasons...). Of course, with the snow and problems with the 380s, that didn't happen. But one weekend they were worn down and parts were painted, then the rest of it was vinyled the next weekend.

So for about a week they were going around like this, although I'm glad to say that they now look much more respectable! Please note than none of these photos are mine, and I'm not trying to claim that they are.

No other class 334s will be done until the 380s are in service, and those units won't get the half-and-half treatment that the others were subjected to!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Yes, I forgot about some of the units which managed to carry a variety of brandings on just one coach.

I wonder which TOC has operated trains with the biggest number of liveries at a time? I'd guess NXEA, although Northern and FGW must be up there too. All are big fleets with a variety of types aquired from a variety of TOCs. I do wonder with those franchises if they will ever manage to get a uniform fleet, considering the size and the way stock swaps around, plus the way TOCs tend to re-brand regularly. Even national companies are not perfect when it comes to uniform liveries due to rebranding, although BR was fairly good. The main advantage is the ability to transfer trains around without changing liveries, although even then regional liveries and sectorised liveries can cause problems (something seen at times with BR).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
With 'one'/NXEA, they hadn't even managed to get their entire fleet into 'one' livery before the order came down from on high that all NX trains and buses were to get the same "dot 2 dot" livery... which stopped when they lost East Coast in favour of plain white.
I think Scotrail had only just managed to get everything into "Barbie" livery when the Transport Scotland livery was imposed.

trains2064

I remember about 10 years ago having a 153 in the blue regional livery with central trains on the side running around with 1/2 a centro liveried 150 to make a 2 car set.

WillPS

Established Member
Central Trains gave up repainting units a good number of years before their franchise was up, so we ended up with things like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7681357@N02/3610565511

As mentioned above; RR-two tone blue trim interior, NS/ATN transpennineexpress plum livery, First TPE stripe along the bottom, Central (( emphasis brackets )) and EMT branding.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Interesting to see from that list that since 2005, Crown Point have run nearly as many temporary hybrid sets as are listed for the other depots previously, mostly involving one car from 156419.

Established Member
Interesting to see from that list that since 2005, Crown Point have run nearly as many temporary hybrid sets as are listed for the other depots previously, mostly involving one car from 156419.

Yep, its missing at least one aswell, I had one last year coming back from a spin on 25057. I thought CT had more than that aswell, always seemed to be one formed up but could well have seemed more than there actually was.

me123

Established Member
I think Scotrail had only just managed to get everything into "Barbie" livery when the Transport Scotland livery was imposed.

They had literally just finished <( But, in all fairness, they knew perfectly well that they'd need to do it.

To be fair though, aside from the single 170 revinyled to launch the livery, all the units painted thus far have either been ex-SPT units or other trains that don't have Scotrail livery like the blue 158s.

pemma

Veteran Member
No exMML 170s got CT liveried any further than logos website and (( ))

CT also had 158s in Northern Spirit livery with the same as you mentioned.

TPE actually had 3 types of dual branded 158s before they got 185s and 170s:
* The Northern Spirit red and gold with a blue vinyl skirt.
* A single RR livery unit with the same blue vinyl.
* Subleased CT 158s which originally were ran on TPE services stating Central Trains, which later had TPE branding applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.