• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Musings on the TPE "Cleethorpes Flyer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
With only one more day of operation still to come, I decided to sample Transpennine Express's Saturday only through service from Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Retford. I live near one of the intermediate stations and have travelled the route before on Northern's Saturday parliamentary. As all regular services hereabouts stop at Worksop and most stop everywhere else, it was a rare opportunity to ride an "express" and an equally rare opportunity to travel here on a non-Northern unit.

The rolling stock was, as expected, a 3-car 185. It appeared to arrive into Sheffield empty from the Doncaster direction and left from a bay platform (4). The outward journey was comfortable and punctual. There were no hold-ups and the unusual experience of riding at line speed throughout was the reason I made the trip. It was clear that the pathing for this was very generous with something like 7 minutes stand at the first scheduled stop, Retford, and a further around 7 minutes to enter the short single line section east of Brigg (awaiting Northern's westbound service, which wasn't late, to clear). There were no hold-ups at any of the other single line sections or loops.

By the time we came to a stand in Grimsby, the clock on the matrix display in the carriage had stopped and was showing a static time (11.59 if I recall correctly).

Cleethorpes was enjoying an atmosphere far in excess of any I have witnessed there previously because of its Armed Forces Day celebrations which included among other things, a lady in uniform singing Vera Lynn style songs (sadly, rather off-key, but never mind) and many military vehicles and stalls and so on. Cleethorpes being the cosmopolitan place it is, I nevertheless found myself filling in three of the six hours I had there by walking to Grismby, having lunch and walking back.

So, having loitered around the rest of the afternoon, I entered Cleethorpes station in good time for the return working. I noted there was something curious and rather illogical on the station and platform departure displays. From the same platform and at the same time, there were to be two departures. The first was 1811 Manchester Airport (calling Grimsby, Retford, Sheffield, Stockport and various further stations to the Airport). And the second was 1811 Sheffield (calling at Grismby and Retford). Perhaps there were to be two units, to split at Sheffield?

In fact it was, as expected really, a single three-car 185, and on arrival at Sheffield it did appear to be continuing right through to Manchester Airport. I'm not sure if this is how the service has been operated previously.

The trip back was again fairly rapid, with a long stand again at Retford awaiting schedule. There was a signal check at Woodhouse, and then a prolonged stand at "Stopall junction" (Nunnery) meant that arrival in Sheffield was 6 or 7 minutes late.

In the front car, I heard just two announcements from the Conductor; the first on approach to Retford and the second whilst standing at Nunnery. The automated system produced a chime on two occasions, but nothing else. The matrix display in the carriage stubbornly had TPE's website address on it throughout. I felt that,
- given the unusual nature of this service
- thinking of anyone who was, perhaps, visiting Cleethorpes for the celebration or just for an occasional day out; who might have made the trip occasionally before and who might have arrived on another service from, say, Scunthorpe; who may have travelled last year (before the landslip); who may have assumed things about the service and its destination based on their past experiences, that were not in fact true
that more explicit information about the service and particularly its calling points and route ought to have been forthcoming. It wasn't.

The route via Brigg was the subject of much modernisation and rationalisation a few years back with much of it single-track. It's predicted usage was primarily freight with just the Saturday only Northern service (three each way) for passengers. With the Hatfield line blockage, whilst passenger services have been (with the exception of this TPE "special") substituted by buses, the normally huge level of freight traffic via Hatfield has had to find other routes, including the Brigg line. And I have seen it suggested that there hasn't been greater use made of it for diverted passenger services precisely because of its rationalised setup and the consequent lack of spare paths, made all the worse by the need to accomodate additional freight traffic. I was therefore surprised to see just one freight train on the entire line (waiting in a loop on one of the single line segments) during the entire round trip. I had expected to see many more. On the basis of this entirely casual observation, it doesn't appear that the line was operating anywhere near capacity - at least, not at the time I was riding it.

Neither of the trains were crowded despite the special event at Cleethorpes and despite TPE's 2 for 1 offer on this route. It was a nice opportunity to do something a little different.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
With only one more day of operation still to come, I decided to sample Transpennine Express's Saturday only through service from Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Retford. I live near one of the intermediate stations and have travelled the route before on Northern's Saturday parliamentary. As all regular services hereabouts stop at Worksop and most stop everywhere else, it was a rare opportunity to ride an "express" and an equally rare opportunity to travel here on a non-Northern unit.

The rolling stock was, as expected, a 3-car 185. It appeared to arrive into Sheffield empty from the Doncaster direction and left from a bay platform (4). The outward journey was comfortable and punctual.

The stock actually comes empty from one of the centre roads in the station, and shunts into the bay (via reversal at the Doncaster end of the station). I Did the journey (back home - to Cleethorpes) last week.

Cleethorpes was enjoying an atmosphere far in excess of any I have witnessed there previously because of its Armed Forces Day celebrations which included among other things, a lady in uniform singing Vera Lynn style songs (sadly, rather off-key, but never mind) and many military vehicles and stalls and so on. Cleethorpes being the cosmopolitan place it is, I nevertheless found myself filling in three of the six hours I had there by walking to Grismby, having lunch and walking back.

There were fly pasts of planes as usual, could hear/see them from my house.

So, having loitered around the rest of the afternoon, I entered Cleethorpes station in good time for the return working. I noted there was something curious and rather illogical on the station and platform departure displays. From the same platform and at the same time, there were to be two departures. The first was 1811 Manchester Airport (calling Grimsby, Retford, Sheffield, Stockport and various further stations to the Airport). And the second was 1811 Sheffield (calling at Grismby and Retford). Perhaps there were to be two units, to split at Sheffield?

In fact it was, as expected really, a single three-car 185, and on arrival at Sheffield it did appear to be continuing right through to Manchester Airport. I'm not sure if this is how the service has been operated previously.

It rarely is two. As there are already two units here in the week, and with only one arriving from Sheffield, the return to Manchester is a single unit now.

In the front car, I heard just two announcements from the Conductor; the first on approach to Retford and the second whilst standing at Nunnery. The automated system produced a chime on two occasions, but nothing else.

The chimes are usually when a member of staff needs to answer the telecom.

The matrix display in the carriage stubbornly had TPE's website address on it throughout. I felt that,
- given the unusual nature of this service
- thinking of anyone who was, perhaps, visiting Cleethorpes for the celebration or just for an occasional day out; who might have made the trip occasionally before and who might have arrived on another service from, say, Scunthorpe; who may have travelled last year (before the landslip); who may have assumed things about the service and its destination based on their past experiences, that were not in fact true
that more explicit information about the service and particularly its calling points and route ought to have been forthcoming. It wasn't.

No automated announcements have been programmed in, so they usually do keep the website up. On normal services, they tend to keep the clock on the screen which I feel they should do for this service. The woman sat opposite me last week on the train didn't even know what the information on the screen meant (it was the web address). I agree that advertisement for the service does seem to be poor, but only one more week of it.

Thanks, Sam

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
The automated system produced a chime on two occasions, but nothing else.

Speaking with a TPE staff member the other day, I understand this is a new stance by TPE which has seen a number of automated announcements switched off in favour of the personal touch (i.e. the guard making the announcements)
The chime is there to make you notice things on the screen which still have the messages scrolling through so those who are of less good hearing/are wearing headphones are still aware of what is being said

Harpers Tate

Established Member
There was nothing useful on the screen. And, as I say, the guard/conductor announced very little. This was (I perhaps should have mentioned) a contrast to the outbound where both automated and conductor made several.

itsjamierawr

The chime (as I asked about this in a thread roughly a month ago) is when the Passenger Info System is reset or disabled/no destination set or something along those lines. I believe it's the same three-tone chime that's used for every SouthEastern HighSpeed announcement and on the Stockholm Metro.

There's also another chime the system makes which is two single-tone pings (sound similar to the seatbelt sign ping on an aircraft) and "**Could a member of staff please answer the intercom**" (or words to that effect) scroll across the screen.

Sounds like an interesting service, I might try this one day!

Boothby97

Established Member
There was nothing useful on the screen. And, as I say, the guard/conductor announced very little. This was (I perhaps should have mentioned) a contrast to the outbound where both automated and conductor made several.

What automated announcements were made? When I travelled on the Sheffield-Cleethorpes service on 22nd June no automated announcements were made, the conductor made announcements instead, so I presumed no automated announcements would be set for such a limited/short term service (but I may be wrong)

Thanks, Sam

Harpers Tate

Established Member
None that were route-specific, if I recall correctly. But the stuff about watching luggage, suspicious items, and buying a ticket and passing an open office was certainly broadcast.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
... I was therefore surprised to see just one freight train on the entire line (waiting in a loop on one of the single line segments) during the entire round trip. I had expected to see many more. ...

It was certainly busier than that with freight (on the Saturday the 60 took an excursion to Cleethorpes) earlier this year.
Couple of theories:
- does the summer still see a fall-off in the number of power station coal trains?
- as the TPE crosses a Northern service (at least outbound), maybe you just were just unlucky in picking a slack period for freight.

Boothby97

Established Member
Certainly not rare, i only passed one freight the week before, it was 66136 on coal hoppers at Worksop Yard.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I should just clarify then; by "the entire line" I was referring to the hugely rationalised section between Gainsborough Trent and Barnetby, which is the section locally known as "The Brigg Line" and which, as a consequence of its singling and so on, restricts paths. The other parts of the route, between Sheffield and Gainsborough, and between Barnetby and Grimsby, aren't compromised in the same way. And Worskop yard is often replete with freight trains.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Understood, but even so, I was also referring to the stretch through Brigg in post 9 above as being busy with freight on a Saturday earlier this year.

D6975

Established Member
It was certainly busier than that with freight (on the Saturday the 60 took an excursion to Cleethorpes) earlier this year.
Couple of theories:
- does the summer still see a fall-off in the number of power station coal trains?
- as the TPE crosses a Northern service (at least outbound), maybe you just were just unlucky in picking a slack period for freight.

That theory could well be correct, I spent that morning at Barnetby, I was on the westbound Northern service that the O/P mentioned. There were plenty of freights through Barnetby that morning, I was pleasantly surprised.

I should just clarify then; by "the entire line" I was referring to the hugely rationalised section between Gainsborough Trent and Barnetby, which is the section locally known as "The Brigg Line" and which, as a consequence of its singling and so on, restricts paths. The other parts of the route, between Sheffield and Gainsborough, and between Barnetby and Grimsby, aren't compromised in the same way. And Worskop yard is often replete with freight trains.

The BR cuts of the 1980's are felt far and wide in Lincolnshire as well as other parts of the UK :(

Our group was was told that the TPE service was booked to call at Gainsborough Central & Brigg but not to upset Northern TPE did not take up this request, much to the anger of locals and the MP's in the area

Status
Not open for further replies.