• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My brother having problems at Bedford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
My brother, not the one who is on here but one of my other brothers, has a week off work and he is going around the country and today, he decided to go to Bedford

He's done some pictures and a bit of filming and he was told by a FCC member of staff there:

It isn't allowed to make films at stations. It's a security risk. Thats any station. Even the virgin trains staffed stations. I'm allowed to take pictures for personal use, but videos I'm not allowed, if I use my video camera again he will remove me from the station

Now I went to Bedford in February when the Hastings DEMU was there and no one bothered anyone there.

What is going on there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Photos and videos are allowed (sometimes with prior permission, signing in etc). Commercial photography and filming isn't without prior permission.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's wrong people are defiantly allowed to take pictures and videos for their own use (commercial use does require prior authorization), the only restriction is that they can be asked to sign in so that station staff are aware of their presence.

Also as an off-topic side bar, just how many brothers do you have IPT? I swear sometimes it sounds like there are dozens of Poole brothers roving around the midlands in packs hunting for photos and videos! ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I wouldn't laugh, and I would hope no one else would either!

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
There are five Poole boys out spotting, all with accounts on youtube:

myself = IanPooleTrains
Simon = Simon Poole = sim0ntrains
Martin = martintrains
Luke = lukepoole 1989
Michael = michaeltrainsbuses

There is another brother on top of that and then there is my two sisters as well!

and no, before anyone asks about my family using contreception

alexdodds

Was it the station supervisor or some other staff member that said this.

(off topic for a moment sorry)
It's like Blackpool North. One of the station supervisiors that works there is a woman and her rule is anyone that wants to video needs permission from Northern Rail. Stills is allowed. Also she only allows enthusiasts to have 10 minutes on the platform. The other supervisors which are all male are not like that and allow both still and video with no restrictions.

Last edited:

alexdodds

Well it helps in finding out the good ones and bad ones. I was only trying to help so that if you go to BPN and see her in the station office and go and ask permission then you will know what to expect.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Well it helps in finding out the good ones and bad ones. I was only trying to help so that if you go to BPN and see her in the station office and go and ask permission then you will know what to expect. Ok I shouldnt of said the name yet again another error and I get some stick for it.

This forum is starting to become like some stations. There are some good folk and there are some not good folk.

What, because people point out that you've done something you probably shouldn't?

Aictos

Established Member
Right as this is one issue I do fight for within FCC, I believe the member of staff was incorrect to say what they did.

To date, there has been no brief at all stating you cannot take video footage of trains although obviously if it for commercial use then you do need to contact the FCC Press Desk.

It is not a security risk however much poorly informed members of staff claim otherwise even if they have been told about this in a previous brief.

Safety is our top priority: to ensure this is maintained, rail enthusiasts must sign in and sign out on their arrival and departure from stations and be made aware of any important safety information relevant to the station.

So whoever this staff member is, they are wrong to say what they said.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Just an update as my brother has just come in and give me a mouthful!

He says the guy who approached him asked him what he just filmed, ordered him to delete the film and he even had to show him that he deleted it

Dreadnought

He says the guy who approached him asked him what he just filmed, ordered him to delete the film and he even had to show him that he deleted it

He should of told him "No" as he does not have the authority to make anyone do this. Even the police cannot make you delete anything without a court order first.

mr ed

He should of told him "No" as he does not have the authority to make anyone do this. Even the police cannot make you delete anything without a court order first.

Having been down to Bedford Station last night and asked the station platform staff about this as I know several of them one of them said that he had told a person pictures/videos should not be taken on stations to an enthusiast earlier [rail enthusiasts are welcome poster in booking hall by pay phones showed to him by me again:oops::roll:] but there was no request to delete anything.

Why not just inform staff of your presence and what you are doing as most will not want the bother of signing you in/out and giving a safety brief in addition to their other duties if you are obviously an enthusiast. If I am visiting somewhere like Nuneaton then I would never annoy the staff by signing in as there are more enthusiasts than staff/passengers but at Hitchin [for example] where we are a rare species I would expect to sign in/out when I reported my intentions to the staff as enthusiasts are rare at this station.

mumrar

Established Member
Did your brother speak to anyone prior to starting his filming? It's a small request made by TOCs under the guidelines for enthusiasts, yet many don't do so and complain when staff tell them to move along.

I'm not going to debate the rights and wrongs of asking people to do this, pretty much everyone knows this, and as you are on private land it is only reasonable that you should comply.

Ferret

Established Member
Right as this is one issue I do fight for within FCC, I believe the member of staff was incorrect to say what they did.

To date, there has been no brief at all stating you cannot take video footage of trains although obviously if it for commercial use then you do need to contact the FCC Press Desk.

It is not a security risk however much poorly informed members of staff claim otherwise even if they have been told about this in a previous brief.

Safety is our top priority: to ensure this is maintained, rail enthusiasts must sign in and sign out on their arrival and departure from stations and be made aware of any important safety information relevant to the station.

So whoever this staff member is, they are wrong to say what they said.

FCC making up their own rules again I see I even in the press office they can't get it right!

westcoaster

Established Member
Has it even been verified that he had signed in yet? All the guys and girls up at bedford are a good bunch, some will even let you know where specials are and such like, maybe someone was having a bad day.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Did your brother speak to anyone prior to starting his filming? It's a small request made by TOCs under the guidelines for enthusiasts, yet many don't do so and complain when staff tell them to move along.

I'm not going to debate the rights and wrongs of asking people to do this, pretty much everyone knows this, and as you are on private land it is only reasonable that you should comply.

That's fair enough. It's the same with ticketing - don't follow the rules, and complain when the staff do.

Ferret

Established Member

I presume he had a court order allowing him to demand the deletion of any video? Oh dear!

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I can confirm tht my brother didn't sign in..................

However I went there earlier in the year and no one bothered me and I didn't sign in. Mind you, there was a HAstings DEMU there so there might be a technicality

But that is irrelevant to the point which is my brother didn't sign in.

If I can ask murmar, not to be funny or anything or cause an argument, can I ask how a railway station is considered private property out of interest?

Ferret

Established Member
I can confirm tht my brother didn't sign in..................

However I went there earlier in the year and no one bothered me and I didn't sign in. Mind you, there was a HAstings DEMU there so there might be a technicality

But that is irrelevant to the point which is my brother didn't sign in.

If I can ask murmar, not to be funny or anything or cause an argument, can I ask how a railway station is considered private property out of interest?

On the grounds that it's owned by a railway company. Thing is though, it never has been and still is not a compulsory requirement to sign in. It is not a rule of any kind, it is merely a polite request. One day people from all sides will manage to get that inside their heads I'm sure, but I'll be in for a long wait.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
From the BTP guidelines, it sounds very much like a requirement:
At major stations, please let the duty station manager know you are there. This means that the station staff will be informed and can go about their jobs without concern. At smaller stations you should speak to a member of the station staff to let them know you are there.
Its logical to assume that by letting someone know you're there can be by signing in.

Ferret

Established Member
Ralph, sorry to lose the plot on this one, but I'm fed up of this argument. It is *NOT* a requirement, end of. Do I believe it's common courtesy? Yes. Do I believe you should where practical go and sign in? Yes. Is it absolutely compulsory? Is it hell!

richa2002

Established Member
Using that logic, all passengers should be signing in and out and being made aware of 'any important safety information'. Absolute nonsense!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Ralph, sorry to lose the plot on this one, but I'm fed up of this argument. It is *NOT* a requirement, end of. Do I believe it's common courtesy? Yes. Do I believe you should where practical go and sign in? Yes. Is it absolutely compulsory? Is it hell!

In what way do you believe it isn't a requirement? It clearly says at smaller stations let a member of staff know you are there, and at larger stations please let the DM know you are there. I agree the use of please makes it slightly ambiguous, but logically if you have to sign in at a smaller station you should have to at a larger station. I wouldn't say it was legally compulsory to sign in, but then again it isn't legally compulsory to let someone take photos...

Ferret

Established Member
I'd say the fact they are called Guidelines is a significant clue - no mention of words like 'you must', 'rules', 'you are required to' etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.