• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My scanned slides - 1977-1985

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1511

40030 whistles away patiently at a glowing red signal on a Millerhill to Kingmoor mixed freight on a misty night in November 1978. This service (6M92) was nearly always a class 40 from the MR

BR Photo Scans _224.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

For a reasonable amount of time after the Penmanshiel collapse in March 1979, the Carstairs line was the only way to get to Edinburgh from England, and some ECML services were diverted from Newcastle via Hexham and Carlisle, with others terminating at Berwick with bus replacements to Edinburgh. This arrangement was in place through until August, when the diversion opened.

On a snowy early morning on Good Friday 1979, an overnight service from Kings Cross coasts down the hill over Slateford Viaduct throwing up some spindrift as it goes. 55017 is in charge.

BR Photo Scans _211.jpg

D1511

On the subject of Slateford viaduct, it is built with a gradient of 1:100. Nothing unusual in that, but the parallel aqueduct carrying the Edinburgh Glasgow Union Canal is obviously VERY level!

You can see the gradient here, and the level aqueduct on the right.

This is 46055 thrashing up the hill on a mixed freight.

BR Photo Scans _222.jpg

D1511

Probably one of my favourite type 2 shots, this is 26032 at Slateford station (with ploughs and headlamps) on the evening parcels to Polmadie in summer 1979. 37152 is the loco waiting to join the main line once it has passed.

BR Photo Scans _208.jpg

D1511

Since we're talking added lighting, here was a unique loco back in the day......Knottingley's 47373. It was fitted with yellow flashing lights for a specific MGR duty (someone will know which) and was the only loco so fitted, making it instantly recognisable. However, it didn't stray from its home patch very often!

This it it doing the duties for which it was made and then adapted.....MGR services.....and it looks like Healey Mills yard.

BR Photo Scans _102.jpg

D1511

I'm sure there is probably a book on 'former railway depots that are now shopping centres'

Here is a bustling scene at Stratford TMD, once the largest shed on the Eastern region with a works that held the record for building a locomotive in the shortest time.......now it's Westfield shopping centre and bits of the Olympic Park. The only trace of the former works and shed here is a small plaque in Stratford International Station. I think the heritage of the railway in Stratford should be celebrated more. It was an amazing and important place back in the day, and Stratford Open Day was a must every year.

BR Photo Scans _215.jpg

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
When I retire I will scan all my - and god that is a lot!

A, I hope helpful, observation.
I've been scanning through my own slides and also lots of borrowed ones, and I've already worn out one scanner* and had to buy a new now (Epson V series - reasonable quality).
My point is this; production of slide film ceased some years ago, and it's now impossible (as far as I know) to get any exposed film processed. Technology has moved on. I think it's quite possible that, once the majority of people have scanned their slides, the demand for scanners will plummet to the extent that they become uneconomic to produce. Slide scanning for most will be a one-off short operation for their holiday snaps.

So, even if you don't have time at the moment to use it, buy a scanner now while they're available at a good price. They've probably reached the peak of development and lowest price.

*I had 2 before this that didn't wear out but were overtaken by technology; the first, one slide at a time & you had to do your own colour balance so very slow and the 2nd did only 4 slides and still very slowly.

D1511

Another shopping centre......this was Wath upon Dearne, which was rammed with a range of freight locos every weekend and well worth a visit, despite the settings being the epitome of industrial decline and dereliction. The 76s were obviously an attraction, and the majority on the Sheffield side of the Pennines were stabled here. The old Mexborough coking plants dominated the surroundings and it remains the only place i ever saw 76s working a train. I always thought they had a very continental look to them, but they weren't around for long when I started spotting. It's a pity I'll have to go to Utrecht to see a preserved one. These are 011 and 025 on the move round the depot.

EDIT To my embarrassment, @GRALISTAIR has politely informed me there's one at the NRM :oops:

BR Photo Scans _213.jpg

Last edited:

D1511

33030 takes a break from shunting at Lapford to work a Cardiff Portsmouth service in 1980. :D :D:D

BR Photo Scans _237.jpg

D1511

Reddish is now at the heart of the Man City funded regeneration of South Manchester, but back in the day, it really was a dump of a place. In fact Longsight and Reddish were the only two depots I can remember where it was a pretty hairy area round about and we were a bit scared. (There was St Rollox of course, but as we were Scottish, nasty bits of Glasgow didn't bother us!)
76s again, and once they went Reddish was redundant. The 506s lasted a while longer, but the depot closed in 1983.
This row had already been cannibalised to keep the rest of them running when snapped in 1979.
BR Photo Scans _210.jpg

D1511

Bury, and some units that I recall excited my companions on the day in Jan 1979 (on a very cold morning). I recall trailing up and down in between them while they took the numbers. Sorry, but they didn't interest me much then, or now, especially as it was so cold!

BR Photo Scans _203.jpg

Someone might enjoy these, however.....

D1511

You can see the extent of Millerhill yard, now largely gone, in the background, as 47517 brings a train of cements off the sub. I had my first trip in a cab in that yard.....a class 08 in about 1972 with a driver friend of my dad's. We spent what seemed like the day (but was probably only a couple of hours) hump shunting, and we got to drive the shunter. For two 10 year old boys, this was the most exciting thing ever!

I hope to model the Millerhill stabling point in my layout, although the yard is a bit on the large side!

BR Photo Scans _230.jpg

SteveM70

Established Member
My pleasure. I'm happy you are enjoying them!

Absolutely I am. And I'm sure many others are too. (Although it does make me a bit cross with my mum and dad for their "we decided to clear the loft out" nonsense a few years ago)

lostwin(m)

Excellent stuff again. It works really well to group the photo's around themes and I like the old yards / depots idea. I travel through Stratford International everyday, but it was only yesterday that i read on another thread that this was the site of the old depot - funny it should come up again here. i will take a look for the plaque as I haven't noticed it. You might have braved the cold and the over exuberance of your fellow enthusiasts, but you had the last laugh with that shot of the line of units at Bury, very nice indeed.

Nice to see you took on night photography too, it was something I really enjoyed and I have a selection of shots lined up for my thread. That shot of the whistler is really moody.

On Moderation
56076 under construction in 1980 in its green primer at Crewe probably. Being a BREL one it probably performed a bit better when in service than the Romanian predecessors! You can see the production line in action.....there's another chassis next to the camera

View attachment 146286

...with what looks like a bogie on the left (with a cab behind it) and probably a traction motor blower on the floor in front of 56076. 40+ years later some have been rebuilt into cl.69's, retaining the (refurbished & modified) original bodyshell and bogies - Crewe obviously built them well!
It’ll be Doncaster, not Crewe. The 56 build was across three sites: 56001-030 in Romania (sub-contract from Brush), 56031-115 at BREL Doncaster and 56116-135 at BREL Crewe.

The last 20 were built at Crewe as Doncaster was gearing up for Class 58 construction and Crewe had capacity as the HST power car build came to an end.

D1511

Excellent stuff again. It works really well to group the photo's around themes and I like the old yards / depots idea. I travel through Stratford International everyday, but it was only yesterday that i read on another thread that this was the site of the old depot - funny it should come up again here. i will take a look for the plaque as I haven't noticed it. You might have braved the cold and the over exuberance of your fellow enthusiasts, but you had the last laugh with that shot of the line of units at Bury, very nice indeed.

Nice to see you took on night photography too, it was something I really enjoyed and I have a selection of shots lined up for my thread. That shot of the whistler is really moody.
Thanks! I was never any good at exposing night shots with colour slide film but the occasional one comes out a bit less green than the majority! Those old plank wagons behind that 40 remind me of a noise that freight workings don't make nowadays!
Grouping photos in that way is hardly unique....there are literally hundreds of books like that, and the Platform 5 Scottish depot book comes out later this month. I was just trying to create a connection between one pic and the next one, although you'll note I haven't managed to contrive a connection every time!
As you've mentioned, I think it's poor of Newham Council and the London Legacy Development Corporation not to celebrate the railway history of Stratford. It's a sad indictment of how the regeneration has gone, that you've travelled through there recently without seeing a single reference to the railway history.
There's the token Robert the engine on a plinth by the Woolwich DLR platform on Meridian Square out the front of the station, but that loco wasn't built or based in Stratford!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks both!

Also, glad the period motors are also getting noticed!

On that note, here's Longsight shed in Jan 1979 with a range of motive power on show. The source of the smoke filling the shed was the DMU, which is probably why the cyclist was getting out of there!

View attachment 146524

Just so much atmosphere.

lostwin(m)

I'm sure there is probably a book on 'former railway depots that are now shopping centres'

Here is a bustling scene at Stratford TMD, once the largest shed on the Eastern region with a works that held the record for building a locomotive in the shortest time.......now it's Westfield shopping centre and bits of the Olympic Park. The only trace of the former works and shed here is a small plaque in Stratford International Station. I think the heritage of the railway in Stratford should be celebrated more. It was an amazing and important place back in the day, and Stratford Open Day was a must every year.

View attachment 146534
I had a few minutes to spare this evening, so I went to search out the plaque commemorating the works at Stratford International station. It’s stuck in a corner, but is quite a nice size. 9 hours to build a locomotive - wow!

B275E367-9219-4085-B147-2C615E936B4E.jpeg
Hope you don’t mind me posting the picture on your thread.

D1511

Hope you don’t mind me posting the picture on your thread.
@lostwin(m) Not at all, thank you! It proves I wasn't making that stuff up in my earlier post! :D
I failed to mention it was the biggest traincrew depot in Europe though!
It's a shame there's nothing more than that plaque though, particularly as LLDC has an unfeasibly large public art budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.