• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My suggestion for distance based pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal_gee_man

Moderator note: split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/ticket-prices-cost-per-mile-north-vs-south.176213/

A complete overhaul by the ORR & with each TOC around fares would seem a much fairer system to me! I raised the topic because I've seen so many fare irregularities that it really seems to bother me!

Set every peak and off peak fare at the same cost per km countrywide, no penalisation for travelling on a London route or benefit from diverting around it, having to use London Bridge or Clapham Junction during rush hour should be punishment enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think in some regard how sparsely populated some areas are, a premium for the lack of users at some stations justifies such a cost jump, but there aren't any patterns this actually follows one minute you find an example then 2 mins later you can find one to disprove it amazingly, so a complete overhaul by the ORR & with each TOC around fares would seem a much fairer system to me! I raised the topic because I've seen so many fare irregularities that it really seems to bother km countrywide, no penalisation for travelling on a London route or benefit from diverting around it, having to use London Bridge or Clapham Junction during rush hour should be punishment enough!

I'm sure @yorkie will be along soon to ask you some questions about how your pricing proposal would work in practise ;)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If we had distance based pricing what would the fares be on the following routes.
  • York to Whitby
  • Nottingham to Peterborough
  • Leicester to Peterborough
  • St Albans to London Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.