• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Ticket Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

I am going away on holiday to Greece next weekend, returning the week after. We fly from LGW (London Gatwick), and we are planning to travel by train to the airport (BHM - GTW and return).

My problem relates to the return journey. My tickets say "Route: Kensington Olympia". However, the only routes available via Ken require between 2 and 5 changes. But if I just search for GTW - BHM, I can make the journey with 1 or no changes.

What should I do? If I take the routes which don't go through Olympia, will we have to pay the full fare, or are the rules not really enforced? If I go to the enquiries desk at New Street, will they be able to change my ticket? Any suggestions appreciated, I've never had this problem before...

(GTW = Gatwick Airport, BHM = Birmingham New Street, KPA = Kensington Olympia)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Voyagers go through Olympia and as Tom said Birmingham - Gatwick Airport/Brighton is easiest for you.

T

Tom

Alternatively, take an AP ticket (Any Permitted) and go via London on the GEx.

Or, get a ROUTE GUILDFORD.

jd

According to Tom the voyagers are every 4 hours, and according to the journey planner they DON'T go through Ken.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to nationalrail.co.uk the £21.85 Saver Return is valid on a Voyager direct from Birmingham to Gatwick

Guinness

Established Member
All Voyagers to Brighton etc. go through Kensington Olympia or Guildford - Most go through Kenny O.

If you want to do VT to Euston, Tube then Train to Gatwick. Get an EXCESS FARE. Meaning you pay that little bit extra for Any Permitted. Usually its about £1 or something.. Talk to Yorkie, its more his area. :)

jd

It says it must go via Ken Oly though. The 10.11 dep GTW (which is the best train for me) does NOT call at or pass thru Ken Oly. Therefore, the ticket is surely not valid on that particular VV service.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 09:33 from Birmingham is valid but I cant find any direct return train from Gatwick

Guinness

Established Member
Ahh your travelling on Sunday. They all go through Guildford then. Just go on the train as normal as its a Sunday and no services go through Kenny O.

Guinness

Established Member
jdan said:
You really really really really sure?

Yep - Kensington Olympia is really another meaning for 'VIRGIN TRAINS ONLY'.

Going via Guildford you will be fine. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd check that out first...

Of course, you might get away with no checks until Reading, in which case you'd be sorted!

I'm not envious of your long trip on a Voyager though! That's got to be, what, 5 hours?

T

Tom

3 hours FGWFan.

I was lucky, did York to Bournemouth all the way on a HST! Uber thrash!

Guinness

Established Member
According to Qjump there are the following Tickets...

All Savers
- Any Permitted
- Kensington Olympia
- High Wycombe

The Train your going on is a Voyager via Guildford (Some go via Kensington Olympia). There isn't a Guildford ticket so I'm guessing its covered with the Any Permitted one.

There aren't any trains going via Kensington Olmypia on a Sunday and they can't expect you to go Clapham Junction and then get the stopper to Willesden and get stoppers all the way to Birmingham! Virgin will be flexable and say you can travel. Happened with me when I was going via Bristol despite my ticket saying Banbury. :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
3 hours FGWFan.

I was lucky, did York to Bournemouth all the way on a HST! Uber thrash!

arghhh try 4hours solid on a voyager twice in one day - done that twice - next time I'll go to york via london I think! never again on voyagers!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree that the 'Route Kensington Olympia' tickets will be accepted on Virgin Trains that are diverted via Guildford instead of going via Kensington.

It's not the same as a 'Virgin only' ticket! But I am sure it will be accepted on all Virgin trains that avoid London.

If you want more info ask on uk.railway. You should also try 'phoning NRES but the info they give out may not be correct (note the date, time, and name of the person you speak to).

It is not valid into Euston but you can get an excess on the ticket to make it into an Any Permitted if you wish to go via London (You pay the difference between the two fares for a return, or half the difference between the two fares if you only want to excess it one way).

jd

Thanks for all your help, especially Chaz and Yorkie.

I went into the Information Centre at New Street today, they confirmed that you are correct, I can use it on the 10.11 via Guildford.

Status
Not open for further replies.