• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Week’s Holiday – including an All Line Rover and buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Wake

Day 1: Saturday 12th September

Having been a year since my last ALR, I wanted to get some more out of this one. I was ready to start it, however I wanted to go to Hull for a specific reason on the 19th September, so the first day of my holiday would be on the buses. With the recent Discovery ticket extension into Kent, I decided to put that to good use today.

Starting off from home in Northgate, Crawley, I first walked to my local bus stop on Woodfield Road, and boarded the 0738 route 100 service to Maidenbower, formed of 08 reg Scania Omnicity 6628, in older Fastway livery. I took this into Crawley Bus Stn, purchasing my Discovery ticket for £8.50 on board. I then changed onto the 0750 route 82 to Haywards Heath, this time a Scania Omnidekka, 6489, which I took as far as Copthorne, Dukes Head. A quick ride later, I walked over from the Dukes Head pub to the drive leading into the Silverwood Industrial Estate. Why? Southdown PSV are based there, and had recently started a new service from there to Oxted, which then formed the 594 service to Westerham.

Just two minutes late at 0822, Enviro 200 bus 101 arrived on the 486 to Oxted, then in Oxted formed the 0845 594 to Westerham via Moorhouse. I was the only passenger on the 486 journey, but had one other on the 594. I alighted at Westerham Green at 0856.
After a quick PNB and visit to the local shop for supplies, I crossed over to the bus stop for the Go-Coach service 401 to Sevenoaks. This was formed of GO14BUS, the dedicated silver Enviro 200 for the 401 service, with leather seats, wifi etc. I enjoyed the run along the A25, with a short detour into Chipstead Village, and alighted at Sevenoaks Stn at 0934. I had to get over the road quickly, as my next bus was due at 0938.

At 0937, Arriva Kent Enviro 200 3986 appeared on the 308 to Gravesend, I boarded and took a seat at the front for the one hour and fifteen minute journey, through Ightham, Borough Green and Wrotham and Northfleet, before alighting at 1050 by Gravesend Station.

I found the bus stop for my next bus, the 190 to Chatham. This was a double decker Trident, bus 6421, which I took via Rochester and Strood to Chatham. I was intending to head to the bus station, but as we came into the station, I saw a 101 to Maidstone loading, and that was where I wanted to go next. I quickly got off the 190 and ran over to the Enviro 400, but just as I was getting to the door, the driver closed them and set off without me. Clearly not checking his nearside mirror. I waited for the next bus, along with two others off the 190, and after a while the Sapphire branded 15 reg Enviro arrived, bus 6484. I was lucky and secured a seat upstairs at the front. With leather seats and plug sockets and audio next stop announcements, it was a good 30 minute journey to Maidstone, where I alighted in the town centre rather than the bus station. I had a tight connection onto the 7 to Tunbridge Wells.

Except it didn’t arrive on time, 10 minutes passed and still nothing, I then happened to look behind and saw a Trident on the 7 heading up towards the Bus Station, closely followed by a 6 from Tunbridge Wells (which goes via Pembury instead of Tonbridge). After a further 10 minutes, Trident 6407 returned on the 7 to Tunbridge Wells. Again I secured a seat upstairs at the front. I did the 7 a few years ago when the old Explorer ticket used to be valid on Arriva Kent. After the diversion in Tonbridge, we came down into Tunbridge Wells, and I saw to my delight my 29 on the stand for the journey to Lewes was Brighton and Hove’s Volvo Wright Double Decker 422, normally the 29 is the preserve of Scania Omnidekkas. I alighted from 6407 and waited for 422. It came round and again I took an upstairs front seat. I enjoyed the run to Lewes, through Eridge, Uckfield and Rose Hill, alighting in the bus station at 1530.

My next journey was to be the final Compass Travel service 261 from Lewes to East Grinstead, only introduced through to Lewes 6 months previously, having previously been from Uckfield to East Grinstead only. I boarded Enviro 200 GX13FSL, along with a few other passengers for the scenic run through Barcombe, Uckfield again, Maresfield and the Ashdown Forest. I alighted in East Grinstead at 1722. Seaford and District still run the 261 between East Grinstead and Uckfield.

My next bus was the 1727 Metrobus service 291 to Crawley Bus Station, it arrives 3 minutes late. I was expecting a double decker, but Scania Omnicity 6553 turned up from Tunbridge Wells, so it was the seat behind the driver for the run back to Crawley, before a sprint onto the service 100 home, another Fastway Scania, this time 6631. I alighted at my local shops and walked home.

An hour later, I decided to go with my sister and her boyfriend to the station, as I had to buy my ALR, and my sister needed a season ticket as she started a new job on the Monday in London. We all walked to Crawley Station, where we found the ticket office closed, the gateline staff member said it would be open at about 9am the next day, but I wanted to get a train at about 0830. It was shut nearly an hour early. My sister headed home at this point and her boyfriend got on the train home to Chichester.

I didn’t give up and caught Scania Omnitown 6622 on local route 4 across to Three Bridges Station, knowing the booking office should be open until about 2200. It too was closed, the notice said it had been shut since 1530, clearly Southern are still having staffing issues. I then caught the 100 home from Three Bridges, my third Fastway Scania of the day, this time 6625. I was keeping my fingers crossed I had no problems in the morning when I started off my ALR proper.

Day 2: Sunday 13th September

Well it’s here, my second ALR. I headed off at about 0805 in a taxi to Three Bridges Stn. Thankfully, this time the ticket office was open, so I renewed my railcard and tried to buy my ALR. Thankfully a bit of work on BR fares found the code and I soon had the ticket in hand. I called home to let my sister know to come to TBD as soon as possible as it was open to buy her ticket, as I wandered up onto platform 2.

I wanted to catch the 0832 Thameslink service to St Pancras Intl, but then an announcement came over that it had developed a fault at Haywards Heath. The 0838 to Victoria had overtaken it and arrived at Three Bridges first, led by 377618. I boarded for the familiar run into London Victoria, and then made a dash on the Victoria Line to reach Kings Cross. I arrived at 0937 and decided to see if the 0945 to Aberdeen had any decent seats left. It did, so half an hour up on my plan, I boarded the train with 43277 leading and 43316 trailing. We set off via the Hertford loop, I actually had on that service guard Marcus, who featured on the East Coast programme a couple of years ago. His new beard didn’t fool me.

At Newcastle the crew swapped, by then we were 15 minutes late due to congestion around Doncaster and York, being stopped outside both stations on signals, despite the fact we were due to run fast to York. At about 1400, I entered Scotland for the first time in my life, being part Scottish, 21 years is a bit too long. I alighted at Edinburgh Waverley and waved off the HST for Aberdeen. I considered doing a few Haymarket leaps, but was numb after 5 hours on the HST, so wandered around Waverley, looked at the market and headed to find my next train.

My next train was the 1550 ScotRail to Inverness, formed of 170451, which I boarded early and grabbed a spacious double seat. Sadly I didn’t know about the weekend first upgrade. The train filled especially at Haymarket and then we went over the fantastic Forth Bridge, a true sight to behold. After Kirkcaldy, the train emptied somewhat and I enjoyed the run to Perth, where the crews changed over and the real scenery began. I loved the run up the Highland Main Line, particularly the station at Aviemore really impressed me with how it was designed and looked in the falling dusk.

At Inverness, I headed to the Exchange pub for dinner, then headed to the Market Brae Guest House and slept for the night, well recommended this place, any of you thinking about staying in Inverness, I think this place is just right.

Day 3 to come – The Skye Circular?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Very nice report, easy to read but with all relevant info, looking forward to part 2.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Although I'm not particularly into buses, Day 1 of your holiday sounds fascinating!

Does the Explorer ticket you used have a full name so I can google it? It might prove very useful in conjunction with a Kent Rover or Southern Daysave train ticket...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Thanks for the link. That looks to be a most useful option for travelling in the Southeast.

Kristofferson

Although not a bus enthusiast, I do know one! An ALR looks fun and it seems you're definitely getting the most out of it :)

Did you take any photos?

James Wake

Day 3: Monday 14th September

The day had come to achieve a dream, to do the Skye Circular. Having had a cooked breakfast and a great sleep in Inverness I paid the guest house owner and headed back to the station, just a 5 minute walk away. I arrived at 0840; the 0855 to Kyle of Lochalsh was on platform 6, 158708 being this morning’s unit. I bagged a seat at the front of the train, in the declassified first class section. The journey to Dingwall was pleasant and a good run, but as we branched off towards Kyle, I knew the real scenery would soon begin. The fantastic view of Loch Garve, the station flower beds at Achnasheen and the views of Plockton and Applecross, before arriving on time at Kyle at 1130. The train loaded well for the return to Inverness at 1208.

I watched it leave and then had a PNB, looked round the gift shop and around the town. I arrived at the bus stop 50 mins before the 51A to Armadale was due to leave. It was already there, Stagecoach coach S860VAT. I paid the driver once he had finished his meal break, a single to Armadale was £4.80, although sadly the top part of my ticket was blank, clearly the ticket machine was short of ink. After a pleasant 40 min drive, we arrived at Armadale Pier. I immediately went into the booking office, and found the cashier about to go and mop the floor, so asked to buy a ticket. £4.75 later and after handing my ticket to the operative, I boarded the MV for Mallaig. The sea was calm; I sat on deck and enjoyed the 25 minute crossing back to the mainland.

I arrived at Mallaig Station with 1 hour before the 156s present for the Glasgow train were due to depart. I went in the heritage centre and had a look around. Units 156445 (in new livery) and 156457 in old livery were waiting. I boarded 156445 to just after Banavie, enjoying the views of Arisaig, the lochs, Glenfinnan Viaduct and the swing bridge, thinking how I had crossed over the canal at 9am at Clacnaharry on the Kyle train. I swapped ends to sit in 156457 just before arriving in Fort William, then we set off again over Monessie Gorge and round the horseshoe curve, Rannoch Moor and eventually to Crianlarich, where a unit from Oban arrived. The crew from Mallaig alighted and the driver from Oban came forward to take the now 6 car train to Glasgow, 156465 having come from Oban. At Ardlui we crossed the 1821 Glasgow to Oban/Mallaig, I presume the crew who got off at Crianlarich picked up the rear 156 for the run back to Mallaig when it got to them. After seeing Helensburgh, but not much as it was dark, we pulled into Dalmuir. I alighted to board the 2103 to Motherwell, formed of 320313 into Glasgow Central Low Level, then walked the 100 yards to the Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel, and my bed for the night.

Day 4 to come
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although not a bus enthusiast, I do know one! An ALR looks fun and it seems you're definitely getting the most out of it :)

Did you take any photos?

Yes I did, but tend not to put them in my reports. I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the adventure being had! The day out on the buses sounds interesting too, it must be said.

I'd have gone for the Highland Chieftain if it had been me going to Inverness, far superior journey on an HST than a 170 up the Highland Main Line!

I haven't seen the Kyle line since 2006, but it is indeed beautiful up there. Next time I'm up there I'm going to be so very busy with my camera it's unreal!

Hope the rest of the trip goes well (or went well), I'm well jealous as I've not done an ALR since June 2012 and would love to do another one!

James Wake

Quite the adventure being had! The day out on the buses sounds interesting too, it must be said.

I'd have gone for the Highland Chieftain if it had been me going to Inverness, far superior journey on an HST than a 170 up the Highland Main Line!

I haven't seen the Kyle line since 2006, but it is indeed beautiful up there. Next time I'm up there I'm going to be so very busy with my camera it's unreal!

Hope the rest of the trip goes well (or went well), I'm well jealous as I've not done an ALR since June 2012 and would love to do another one!

Having been on the Aberdeen HST for 5 hours and getting numb, I probably would have been really uncomfortable after 8 hours on the Chieftain. Anyway that 170 went over the Forth Bridge and got me to Inverness an hour earlier than the HST. The HST doesn't cross the Forth Bridge as it goes via Stirling.

James Wake

Sorry for the slight delay, the next segment should be up this evening.
Day 4: Tuesday 15th September

I woke up tired but elated to have finally done the Skye Circular. I had a lazy morning and a nice breakfast in the hotel. This was the first plan change day. I decided to forego the Cumbrian Coast and do it next time. After getting supplies, my first train was the 1040 from Glasgow Central to Carlisle, formed of Pendolino 390047, the Heavens Angels one that did the speed run in 2006. I enjoyed the hour long journey to Carlisle. As I was tired, I contemplated going all the way to Euston, but still bailed at Carlisle. Maybe I should have stayed on, as you’ll read later.

After a bit of time spotting at Carlisle, a class 92 and 47 being the highlights, I boarded 156454 on the 1229 to Newcastle, enjoying the scenery through Hexham and the Cumbrian then Northumberland countryside. I alighted at Newcastle at 1355, with 35 minutes until my next train. After a sausage roll from the Greggs opposite and a drink, it was onto 156463 on the 1430 to Nunthorpe, which I took to Sunderland. Sunderland has to be one of the dreariest stations I have ever been to. 180114 awaited, but still had to do an ECS move to get out of the way of a couple of Tyne and Wear Metro services. A class 66 passed through on a freight train in the meantime. 180114 soon returned, and I bagged a seat for the run to London Kings Cross in the leading coach. It was a quiet journey, although scenic and nice to tick off more new line and a new operator. I then noticed we stopped just outside Northallerton. There was a power failure at Darlington, with loads of alterations and cancellations. We moved after 10 minutes, and made up 5 minutes running into York.

I expected the train to fill up, but it remained a comfortable load south of York, with an additional call at Doncaster, the driver had work to do. He recovered to 3 mins late by Biggleswade, then the brakes came on again and we stopped just north of Sandy. I looked on RTT and found that a train that was due to pass us had not done so. 10 minutes later an announcement came over that a body had been found on the line. After a 2 hour and 18 minute delay, we finally made it into Kings Cross (2123 vs 1905). I had just missed the 2124 Thameslink from St Pancras, so again dashed onto the Victoria Line to Victoria and just made after some miscommunication between staff, the 2144 Gatwick Express service to Gatwick Airport, a double unit, 442408 and 442420. I alighted at Gatwick and caught a bus home and spent a comfortable night in my bed.

Day 5: Wednesday 16th September

After the stresses of the night before, I only ran a quick errand over to my grandparents place on the other side of Crawley, using a Fastway Scania and Dennis Dart bus on route 100 and 2 respectively, returning on an Enviro 200 single decker and Fastway Scania on the 2 then 100 again.

Day 6: Thursday 17th September

It was time to get back on the rails again, but not before making a detour. My sister had to go to a hotel near Hatton Cross for her job induction, and I took her up there. We caught the 0647 service from Three Bridges to London Victoria, formed of 377461, 377460 and one other. At Victoria, a swift change onto an S stock bound for Richmond, cars 21411 and 21412, definitely dud for me. At Barons Court, a Piccadilly line train was waiting. We ran onto car 887, but found it was going to Uxbridge, so we bailed at Acton Town. A Heathrow T4 train was just behind, so we caught car 127 to Hatton Cross. It was busy until Hounslow, much busier than the previous Uxbridge train had been. At Hatton Cross, I saw my sister off on the shuttle coach to her hotel. With that job done it was back to the ALR.

I caught car 183 back from Hatton Cross to Piccadilly Circus, then car 3555 on the Bakerloo line to London Marylebone. Here was another plan change, I intended to do the Chiltern then Heart of Wales, but didn’t fancy getting in at 2330. I still boarded the 1015 Chiltern to Birmingham Moor Street, with 68010 providing power and 82305 on the rear. I enjoyed the single seat at the front of the leading coach, and the class 68 thrash. After reasonably priced refreshments on ScotRail, I wasn’t impressed with Chiltern’s offering. Nonetheless, with the plan change I worked out one on the fly, thanks to RTT. I had just a three minute crucial connection to worry about.

We arrived at Birmingham Moor Street at 1154, and I joined the train behind, the 1158 to Kidderminster, formed of 172340 to as some of you may have guessed, Stourbridge Junction. I then did 139001 on the shuttle to Town and straight back. I then had to start worrying about that 3 min connection, which was at Smethwick from High to Low level platforms. I decided to go to Lichfield to get a train towards London, and get a class 323, but the 1248 from Stourbridge to Dorridge wasn’t due in at Moor St until 1319, I needed the 1325 to Lichfield Trent Valley from New St. I decided to try a 1304-1307 change at Smethwick, onto the Wolverhampton to Walsall train.

172345 arrived at Stourbridge slightly late at 1249, but thankfully I arrived on time at Smethwick and ran down to the Low Level, where there was no sign of my connection. At 1307 on the nose, 350255 rolled in and took me the 8 minutes into Birmingham New Street. I had 10 minutes until the Starship, 323215 rolled in. I loved the 323 run to Lichfield, the sounds, the ride, it was great, definitely up there with my favourite EMUs. I alighted at Lichfield Trent Valley at 1405, and got the platform stairs just right and headed down onto the Euston bound platform for the 1413 service.

I ended up standing in the wrong place, so a sprint up the platform ensued, but I still got a decent seat on an increasingly busy 350114. I decided to bail after a good run at Milton Keynes Central. I crossed the bridge for a train to Bletchley, formed of 350233. A short ride later and it was time for the Bletchley to Bedford line. I was happy to see the PIS advising it was two coaches, and sure enough 150107 rolled in. I enjoyed the Marston Vale line, including Fenny Stratford, DarloRich’s territory, before alighting in Bedford at 1633. I decided to head home by Thameslink, shame I didn’t have a 319 on the 1640 Bedford to Three Bridges, worked by single 377215. We were 25 minutes late due to a person taken ill at Horley, and Three Bridges was chaos. I headed home from there rather than catch the train round to Crawley. It was another good day, however another delay getting home.

3 days left, one on the buses, one on the trains and another nice relaxing and miniature railway day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You sure weren't having much luck with delays were you?

Good work on that connection at Smethwick Galton Bridge, it's not the easiest place to make quick connections. Especially in the opposite direction, at least you can go downstairs much quicker than going up them!

Shame you didn't do the Cumbrian Coast as it's a lovely ride on a nice day. Still enjoyable enough when overcast mind, it just takes a while to get all the way around it!

James Wake

Day 7: Friday 18th September

Another day out on the buses, a bit shorter this time, starting in Crawley I went to East Grinstead on the 400, Uckfield on the 261, Falmer on the 29, Brighton on the 25X, Horsham on the 17, round Horsham on the 51, 200 to Crawley then to my local model railway society.

Day 8: Saturday 19th September

The last day of my ALR and I wanted to make it count as much as possible. I decided when planning the ALR to today go to Hull for East Yorkshire Motor Service’s Big Bus Day. I started from Three Bridges with a quick ride to Gatwick Airport on 377464, forming the stopper to London Bridge. Then crossing over to platform 4, a 12 car set led by 377156 rolled in for London Victoria. I took this into the terminus and once again the Victoria Line delivered me a quick change, being on the concourse at Kings Cross at 0920. I was getting the Hull Trains service at 0948, not on the board yet, but RTT told me platform 7.

As I approached, I heard the diesel engines idling and saw 180110 waiting with the 0948 to Hull Paragon. I took a picture and awaited the door release, before taking a seat in the leading coach. I found the seats much more comfortable than the seats on the Grand Central 180 from earlier in the week. Then the familiar run north up the ECML to Doncaster, on a moderately loaded train. After Doncaster, the train headed east to Selby, Howden, Brough and then in view of the Humber Bridge on the approach to Hull. Again the weather was fantastic, we pulled into Hull platform 2 four minutes early. I walked the 15 minutes to the Streetlife Museum, had an open top bus ride, bought a pair of slippers made from bus seat moquette and enjoyed a nice lasagne in the café on the way back to the station.

I got back to Hull station at 1415, waiting on platform 4 was the 1439 TP to Manchester formed of 185113, I joined the leading coach in a spacious bay of 2, which I had to myself for the journey, the busiest part being Leeds to Huddersfield. We arrived on time at 1630 and I headed across to platform 14 for a train to Liverpool. The 1637 EMT was first in, but I let it go, then watched the delayed Edinburgh, a Barrow/Blackpool and Llandudno trains come through, before my 1655 train arrived. I wanted a 319 and got one, 319361, I’m sure I’ve had it down south, but wanted to get one up north. Despite a 5 min delay due to the delays on the other services, we were still on time into Lime Street at 1742.

I didn’t have time to catch the 1743 to Chester, but easily caught the 1758, formed of 507021. Despite two people trying to barge onto the train ahead of me, I still boarded first to take a good seat. I found the train to not be very clean and a bit dark and dismal sadly. I enjoyed the sounds and quick run out to Chester for 1839. The train departed back ECS. I crossed to platform 1 for the 1855 Crewe shuttle, formed of 150231, which was almost full on departure. The train kept time right the way down to Crewe. I crossed to platform 5 for the 1923 Virgin to London Euston. It arrived on time formed of 390156, 11 car Pendolino. I got a weekend first upgrade and settled in for the run south, stopping only at Stafford. We passed Hemel Hempstead 10 minutes early, and didn’t lose much more time, to the surprise of the Train Manager, arriving in Euston at 2106, a clear 9 minutes early.

Again down to the Victoria line to Victoria for a train home. Due to the early arrival, I managed to make the 2132 Southern to Crawley, being only 4 coaches, it was packed on departure from Victoria, I had a seat though, but not nice after a nice run on the Pendo in first. At Redhill, the train emptied somewhat, but then the relief driver was late arriving. With 6 minutes between train and bus at Crawley it was looking tight, and my fears were confirmed as we pulled into Crawley 5 minutes late, I headed over the bridge, through the barriers to see the bus leaving the bus station opposite. A taxi home it was and another delay frustratingly brought an end to my week’s ALR. I look forward to doing another one soon.

Day 9: Sunday 20th September

Just a local railway today, the Goffs Park Light Railway, run by the Crawley Model Engineers, I am on the committee of the organisation. We run on Sunday afternoons during BST from 2-5pm, charging 30p per ride on a 5 inch track which is 10 foot short of a quarter of a mile. Today motive power was using the Turbomotive, a battery powered electric of the model of LMS 6202. We also had a steam powered Sturrock 400-T, a Simplex British Railways steam tank engine, as well as an electric battery powered Warship class. I was nominated as duty supervisor and the service ran well most of the afternoon. Later in the day I was driving the Warship when a motor went and the train ground to a halt. Annoying as it was the last lap of the day, but the Simplex pushed my train in.
We are open for the next two Sundays (11th and 18th) if anyone is around, or after the clocks go forward in 2016. It’s easy to find from Crawley Station, just follow the railway line west towards Horsham and the park is about a 10 minute walk, right next to the railway line.

What a great holiday it was, I will do some more trip reports soon, as sometimes after work I go out for little wanderings on the buses and trains. I hope you all enjoyed reading the report.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An enjoyable read for sure, and a good final day on your ALR full of variety! Shame it didn't end amazingly with Southern letting the team down, thank Goodness you had a fallback option!

Never heard of the miniature railway before but definitely worth a look next year if I'm ever in the area.

I look forward to more trip reports from you in the future :)

James Wake

An enjoyable read for sure, and a good final day on your ALR full of variety! Shame it didn't end amazingly with Southern letting the team down, thank Goodness you had a fallback option!

Never heard of the miniature railway before but definitely worth a look next year if I'm ever in the area.

I look forward to more trip reports from you in the future :)

Just let me know by PM if you hope to come down one Sunday and I'll let you know if I plan to be there. It was a shame to have Southern let the side down, all other trains that day were on time or early arriving, including the two Southerns I caught in the morning.
The taxi option costs £2.70 more than the bus.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not as bad an extra amount as I'd have thought for the taxi. Aye I'll let you know when I'm down that way for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.