• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
"Some former BR tram shack" :D Very good.

Sorry, but no. Morden LUL has never had anything to do with a main line service as far as I know. London, however, is the correct city, so look for other outer London suburbs. It is not in Zones 1 or 2. I suggest digging out your old London Connections maps...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
The former BR (or predessors) but now not on BR, as it is confirmed as being in London as I had suspected suggests either Croydon trams, or the Northern branches of the Northern, Piccadilly, Central or District line, or less likely, the DLR. I wonder about Dagenham.

Ivo

Established Member
Dag it is. Dock is a c2c station, and marginally over a mile south of Heathway, East was formerly served by the LT&SR and Heathway was built by them for District Line use (as with many other stations east of Bow Road).

Ivo

Established Member
Once upon a time, I had a railway service. However, our old pal Dr Beeching saw to that. Now the closest to a railway service I have (geographically) is a miniature railway just to the west. However, a little further west of that is one of Britain's premier non-IC lines. There is a station on that line which is accepted as being mine, but neither it, nor the miniature railway, bear my name; they do, however, have the same name. The main line is electrified, but there is also one DMU each way each hour.

Ivo

Established Member
Sorry, GV, but no. How about I be mean and not provide an additional clue this time? <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, sod it. Here's another clue. Was a bit mean of me to not provide a additional one...

The station and miniature railway do not, as previously stated, bear my name. In fact, they are not named after a settlement at all!

Bedpan

Established Member
Is it Saffron Walden, Audley End being the closest station with DMUs to Stanstead Airport and EMUs to Liverpool Street? .

Bedpan

Established Member
OK, one from me then, I am at the end of a now closed country branch line. I had two stations - the terminus bears my name and my other station shared its name with three still open stations, although two of these have suffixes. Of these three still open stations one is in the North, and one is East.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Seen as this thread has gone "a bit dead", with at least one question still in the balance, I thought that I'd try to breathe some new life into it. If said revival turns into a farewell, so be it. Anyway, for what could be the last time... Name the Town! :D

I am one of the few coastal settlements to have more than one station bearing my name. As is so often the case with coastal settlements though, the main route runs through me, with several stations on one line. As is also so often the case with coastal settlements, there is also a terminus facility off the main route, but it is essentially redundant. My first syllable should sound familiar to petrolheads.

Ivo

Established Member
Newhaven was actually the very first question's answer, so it's out. Folkestone, however, would be correct. Why? FOLKEStone ~ VOLKSwagen

See if this has done the trick and revived the thread...

EM2

Established Member
Let's chuck this one back in then, seeign as it was never got.

I used to have three stations which all had suffixes but now only have one which doesn't.
For a number of years, I had no stations, but the one I now have is on the site of one of the old ones.
You could argue that my one station is actually two...

madannie77

Let's chuck this one back in then, seeign as it was never got.

I used to have three stations which all had suffixes but now only have one which doesn't.
For a number of years, I had no stations, but the one I now have is on the site of one of the old ones.
You could argue that my one station is actually two...

Mansfield?

Bedpan

Established Member
OK, one from me then, I am at the end of a now closed country branch line. I had two stations - the terminus bears my name and my other station shared its name with three still open stations, although two of these have suffixes. Of these three still open stations one is in the North, and one is East.

Anybody got any ideas on this town yet? First clue is that its in the old SR area.

Bedpan

Established Member
Well done Madannie, Cowes it is. :D (Mill Hill is the station I was referring to - Mill Hil between Preston and Blackburn, and Mill Hill Broadway and Mill Hill East in London are the 3 still open. Sorry 90019, she got it before I could answer your query.

class313

I have 3 stations with the town's name in them, and one that does not. Only one is on the NR network, and is only served by one train an hour in either direction

class313

No, neither of those, the three other stations are on a preserved line. One of the stations on the preserved line has a link to the mainline station.

Status
Not open for further replies.