• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Named Trains 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

CW2

Established Member
Ahh yes of course. My thinking was that these were never named as the journey times were so close to the normal one, I didn't make that clear!
Far from it - these headline journey time trains received a lot of publicity when launched, and remain very popular (in non viral times at least). Virgin missed a trick by not naming them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vlad

Virgin used to have named trains but abolished all the names early on in their franchise (on West Coast and Cross Country). Bringing back the Royal Scot, for example, could have been seen as retrograde.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not so. Just take a look at the May 2020 timetables; the morning fast services from Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham New Street all look pretty much the same as they did when the timetable was first written. The only superfast train to gain stops and padding is the 1630 Euston - Glasgow.
Far from it - these headline journey time trains received a lot of publicity when launched, and remain very popular (in non viral times at least). Virgin missed a trick by not naming them.

The "Manchester Pullman" was I think
-0700>0900 when introduced in 2004
-0700>0858 from Dec 2008
-Became 0700>0901 when the LM peak Trent Valley service was introduced
-Has since been tweaked to 0701>0900.

Virgin used to have named trains but abolished all the names early on in their franchise (on West Coast and Cross Country). Bringing back the Royal Scot, for example, could have been seen as retrograde.

That. Plus the fact that 99% of passengers simply couldn't care less.

CW2

Established Member
The "Manchester Pullman" was I think
-0700>0900 when introduced in 2004
I don't recall the Manchester Pullman being 2 hours dead from 2004. Sadly my timetables from that period have long since been recycled. Can anybody prove it one way or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.