• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Named trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemsl

As a Thameslink traveller I get to spend quite a bit of time on platforms waiting for my train to arrive. Watching trains go by in the other direction, I've noticed that at least two of Thameslink's trains have been named after destinations on the network: in particular I've seen Brighton and St Albans.

This seems a rather odd idea to me. Surely there's a risk that some passengers will confuse the train's name with its destination and board a train that isn't serving that place. I would be surprised if the company were so operationally robust as to limit these trains to services stopping at the destination they are named after.

Giving trains a name may add a bit of interest and colour to the railways, but this particular idea doesn't seem very thought through.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
This seems a rather odd idea to me. Surely there's a risk that some passengers will confuse the train's name with its destination and board a train that isn't serving that place.
Do the name plates look anything like destination signs?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As a Thameslink traveller I get to spend quite a bit of time on platforms waiting for my train to arrive. Watching trains go by in the other direction, I've noticed that at least two of Thameslink's trains have been named after destinations on the network: in particular I've seen Brighton and St Albans.

This seems a rather odd idea to me. Surely there's a risk that some passengers will confuse the train's name with its destination and board a train that isn't serving that place. I would be surprised if the company were so operationally robust as to limit these trains to services stopping at the destination they are named after.

Giving trains a name may add a bit of interest and colour to the railways, but this particular idea doesn't seem very thought through.

eh? what are you on about? Trains have been named after places since about 1825.

I saw a train named City of York today. No one seemed confused. Christ knows how Virgin and their WCML passengers manage..............
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do the name plates look anything like destination signs?

no. And if anyone thinks they do they shouldn't be out alone.

SEClass375

375609 was named Royal Tunbridge Wells and had a special livery to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II golden jubilee

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
SWT have a 444 with 'Destination Weymouth' on the side.

It never leaves the route and always runs ECS back to Waterloo. Perhaps. :)

Muzer

Established Member
And of course the 159s are named after places on (or accessible from) the West of England Main Line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The inability of bus companies to keep branded buses on route probably makes even the most occasional of passengers not believe anything permanently written on a public transport vehicle (as distinct to being on the blinds) anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.