• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Coaches Discussion

route101

Established Member
336 was the night Plymouth to Scotland 532 for a while was a well used Plymouth to Scotland day service unfortunately Bristol needed a highly regular link to Blackpool so that changed
I see . I remember taking the 336 to Birmingham from Glasgow.

As for the Bournemouth to Glasgow, I don't think Stratford upon Avon is currently served by National express. A south coast to Scotland service would be quite useful with it running limited stop north of Birmingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
344 Glasgow to Bournemouth
The old overnight 334 currently runs as 180 between Glasgow and Birmingham via the North East and East Midlands.

In the same way, the old overnight 336 currently runs as 181 on the west side of the country as far as Birmingham.

mm333

Grimsby and Louth possibly back but no Skegness this year, even though summer services ran from Brum, Leicester and Coventry last year.

Wragby and Newark are also on the 2022 list. They, with Louth, were stops on the 339 Grimsby-Westward Ho! service pre-COVID.

Wainfleet and Boston join Skeggy on to 2023 list, which implies a sort of return of the 449 to/from London which terminated at Mablethorpe until 2019.

Statto

Established Member
I remember the old 336 going Penzance - Edinburgh, then being cut to Plymouth - Edinburgh, the South Western section is now, 101 Birmingham - Plymouth, the old 336 when it went to Penzance was the longest coach route in the UK taking around 30 hours maybe a bit more

route101

Established Member
I remember the old 336 going Penzance - Edinburgh, then being cut to Plymouth - Edinburgh, the South Western section is now, 101 Birmingham - Plymouth, the old 336 when it went to Penzance was the longest coach route in the UK taking around 30 hours maybe a bit more
30 hours? I thought it would be more like 12 to 14 hours.

Twice daily 460, Stratford-u-A - Coventry - London
I see, need to look closer. I was thinking of the 160 Poole to Birmingham. I'm not sure Newbury is served?

Statto

Established Member
30 hours? I thought it would be more like 12 to 14 hours.

Yeah,my :oops: maths has never been my strong point:E actually think it was around 18 hours, northbound 336 i know left Penzance around 13.30, arrived in Edinburgh 07.30 the next morning, it was 14 to 15 hours when it was cut to Plymouth, think left Plymouth after a break there around 16.50.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yeah,my :oops: maths has never been my strong point:E actually think it was around 18 hours, northbound 336 i know left Penzance around 13.30, arrived in Edinburgh 07.30 the next morning, it was 14 to 15 hours when it was cut to Plymouth, think left Plymouth after a break there around 16.50.

How many comfort breaks were there when it ran Edinburgh to Penzance ?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Has the overnight Blackpool to London and return service ceased operating?
At the moment there's no services to London and no overnight services to or from Blackpool. There's a regular service to Manchester and Birmingham and a twice a day to Bradford and Leeds with one continuing to Hull.

Statto

Established Member
How many comfort breaks were there when it ran Edinburgh to Penzance ?

Think, Plymouth, Bristol, Birmingham, Knutsford services, Birmingham was more unload & load, the break there was only 15 minutes

At the momentb there's no services and London and no overnight services to or from Blackpool. There's a regular service to Manchester and Birmingham and a once a day to Leeds and Hull.

Yeah, the overnight London to Blackpool has been cut short to London to Liverpool & renumbered to 423, not sure if the overnight to Blackpool will return

Whistler40145

Established Member
Think, Plymouth, Bristol, Birmingham, Knutsford services, Birmingham was more unload & load, the break there was only 15 minutes

Yeah, the overnight London to Blackpool has been cut short to London to Liverpool & renumbered to 423, not sure if the overnight to Blackpool will return
I remember pre Covid, that the route of the Blackpool to London overnight service was long

markymark2000

On Moderation
I'm sure the 421 only ever ran to Blackpool as Parks had a return trip from there about 10am I think it was. I highly doubt that there was demand, more just a bit of covering dead mileage.

Statto

Established Member
I don't ever remember the old 421 London to Blackpool overnighter having a 50 minute break at Digbeth, it was 20 to 30 minutes at most (i know as i caught this Liverpool to London many a time), at one time it called at Banbury, but no one ever on or off at Banbury, so that that calling point was withdrawn, but diverted to serve Stratford Upon Avon, were a couple of passengers did get on & off, the Stratford call has since gone, & goes non stop Oxford to Birmingham Airport.

The current 423 replacement is timetabled for a 30 minute break at Digbeth

route101

Established Member
One advantage of National Express is the rest breaks at the services. Megabus and Flixbus don't usually do them. I think the Glasgow to London day services have breaks of up to 45 minutes.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One advantage of National Express is the rest breaks at the services. Megabus and Flixbus don't usually do them. I think the Glasgow to London day services have breaks of up to 45 minutes.
To some extent that is a matter of personal taste. I'd personally rather have an undisputed journey but I usually use coaches overnight.

On an overnight trip, it is better not to have a break as it causes disruption (just the driver announcement has the effect of waking passengers up). Also, if you are sat next to someone who is a smoker they come back from the break smelling of smoke which can be off-putting.

On a day coach, I think I would rather get to the destination than have a break but there is a practical limit to the time I would be happy to expend on daytime coach travel.

Statto

Established Member
Re Blackpool to London overnighter, coaches were timed to arrive in Birmingham around 02.50 then depart around 03.20, when the Statford stop was introduced coaches would depart 10 minutes earlier, & arrive in Birmingham 10 minutes later & had a 20 minute break

Both northbound & southbound, 421 Blackpool - London & 422 Burnley - London services, were timed to arrive & depart Digbeth at the same time, & drivers would have still the break even if the coach was late, a few times i've been on the 421 & arrived at the destination 30 to 60 minutes late, handy for me coming home as the trains & buses are up & running by then:E

Back in the day the 421 was allocated double deck coaches, operated by Trathens Travel Services of Plymouth (later a Parks Of Hamilton subsidiary), until the double deck coaches were withdrawn from National Express.

Butts

Veteran Member
Re Blackpool to London overnighter, coaches were timed to arrive in Birmingham around 02.50 then depart around 03.20, when the Statford stop was introduced coaches would depart 10 minutes earlier, & arrive in Birmingham 10 minutes later & had a 20 minute break

Both northbound & southbound, 421 Blackpool - London & 422 Burnley - London services, were timed to arrive & depart Digbeth at the same time, & drivers would have still the break even if the coach was late, a few times i've been on the 421 & arrived at the destination 30 to 60 minutes late, handy for me coming home as the trains & buses are up & running by then:E

Back in the day the 421 was allocated double deck coaches, operated by Trathens Travel Services of Plymouth (later a Parks Of Hamilton subsidiary), until the double deck coaches were withdrawn from National Express.

Why did National Express do this as Megabus still use them ?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Seem to remember a fatal crash where one of the double deck coaches (think Neoplan Skyliner was involved) overturned, & stability was the reason they were withdrawn
2007 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_M4_motorway_coach_accident

On 3 January 2007, a National Express Coaches Neoplan Skyliner N122/3L coach was operating on route 592 and was heading towards Aberdeen. It left Victoria Coach Station at 22:30 (GMT), carrying 65 passengers, and was due to arrive at Aberdeen Coach Park at 10:30 (GMT) on 4 January 2007. The coach was due to call en route at Heathrow Airport, Carlisle, Hamilton, Glasgow and Dundee.

Double deck coaches reintroduced to Luton Airport in 2016 but unsuitable for luggage requirements and currently operate 040 from London to Bristol.

Statto

Established Member
2007 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_M4_motorway_coach_accident

Double deck coaches reintroduced to Luton Airport in 2016 but unsuitable for luggage requirements and currently operate 040 from London to Bristol.

Yeah, at first National Express thought it was stability of the decker coaches with high centre of gravity, maybe was an issue because all the luggage was stored at the rear of decker coaches, turned out to be driver speeding.

Note the driver had previous speeding convictions, & was disciplined for tampering with the speed limiter, which brings the question why wasn't he sacked before that crash, the employer had enough reason to sack him?

Pre covid, decker coaches on National Express were needed on some routes

dan5324

On Moderation
Yeah, at first National Express thought it was stability of the decker coaches with high centre of gravity, maybe was an issue because all the luggage was stored at the rear of decker coaches, turned out to be driver speeding.

Note the driver had previous speeding convictions, & was disciplined for tampering with the speed limiter, which brings the question why wasn't he sacked before that crash, the employer had enough reason to sack him?

Pre covid, decker coaches on National Express were needed on some routes
They’re needed on many many routes tbh. But as per national express form, luggage takes priority over passenger capacity.

route101

Established Member
Only see the double decker coaches on the 040 to Bristol, not sure if they go on other routes. The London to Bristol is busy coach corridor.

matt_splat

They’re needed on many many routes tbh. But as per national express form, luggage takes priority over passenger capacity.
Luggage and capacity would be both solved if they moved away from Caetano but we all know that won't happen.

The deckers on the 040 have been a success but also a massive failure. Pre covid they use to be fully loaded which was brilliant on weekends, but as soon as the students started travelling home or groups of Chinese tourists were moving around the luggage becomes a nightmare to load. There were alsi instances of drivers injuring backs when loading, needing two or three members of staff to assist with loading so bays were packed properly.

Oh and we won't talk about the disgustingly small toilets which block far too easily.

Got to say feel slightly sorry for Edwards for being lumbered with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyersey468

Established Member
They won't move away from Caetano because they aren't prepared to pay Plaxton or Mercedes prices.

Statto

Established Member
It's ridiculous that NX don't operate deckers, other than the Bristol to London route. Look at Megabus; most of their services are operated by deckers, & they are well loaded too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
It's ridiculous that NX don't operate deckers, other than the Bristol to London route. Look at Megabus; most of their services are operated by deckers, & they are well loaded too.

Well IMHO the ride quality of a double decker is inferior to that of a single decker. The increased height of a double decker seems to suffer greater buffeting which is then transmitted to all parts of the vehicle.