• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Hero !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I was on a A7 service from Stansted Airport to London Victoria at Lunchtime Today.

Unfortunately the Coach broke down in the middle lane of the busy road between the Park Plaza Hotel and Waterloo Station so we were stuck awaiting Police Assistance. We were unable to leave the vehicle safely due to it's position and the heavy traffic.

After 20 minutes suddenly another A7 went past us pulled up and reversed back to position itself directly in front of us. The Driver of the other Coach got out stopped the traffic and safely transferred the 13 passengers and our luggage onto his service assisted by our Driver.

Without this I suspect highly unconventional action we probably still be stuck there now.

Well done !!!

On the downside why are most NE Drivers averse to making clear concise announcements on the PA system to keep passengers informed about any delayed departures or other useful information.

After the above "escape" I joined the 509 Service from Victoria to Newport (Cardiff Service). We were due to leave at 1430 but didn't leave until 1445. I noticed three other passengers joined us just before departure. Do they have to wait for transfer passengers ?

Should the Driver have explained the reason for the delay and apologised - neither of which he did. Is it worth writing in ? - Do they hand out vouchers like confetti aka Rail Companies ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
Was the driver there, and not just another member of staff, in my experience the most common reason for late departure is late arrival and driver needing mandatory baeaks, having said that yhou should have had an explanation.

Butts

Veteran Member
Was the driver there, and not just another member of staff, in my experience the most common reason for late departure is late arrival and driver needing mandatory baeaks, having said that yhou should have had an explanation.

Yes the Driver was there, as I mentioned 3 people got on 14mins after the scheduled departure time (transfers ?)

Lrd

Established Member
Yeah as said if the driver wasn't there, or wasn't doing anything then they would've been on a break and not allowed to do anything, no matter how much they want to so they can have an on time departure and not risk finishing late.

There are "mystery shoppers" from VOSA/DVSA at Victoria that monitor the drivers to make sure they take their legal break if they are scheduled to

Butts

Veteran Member
Yeah as said if the driver wasn't there, or wasn't doing anything then they would've been on a break and not allowed to do anything, no matter how much they want to so they can have an on time departure and not risk finishing late.

There are "mystery shoppers" from VOSA/DVSA at Victoria that monitor the drivers to make sure they take their legal break if they are scheduled to

So the reason for the delayed departure should have been announced ?

Lrd

Established Member
So the reason for the delayed departure should have been announced ?
Yes it would've been nice if they did. Perhaps they thought you would make up the time en route and it would be an insignificant wait.

Victoria staff are allowed to hold coaches for up to 10 minutes. Usually because of a delay to an incoming coach with connecting passengers.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes it would've been nice if they did. Perhaps they thought you would make up the time en route and it would be an insignificant wait.

Victoria staff are allowed to hold coaches for up to 10 minutes. Usually because of a delay to an incoming coach with connecting passengers.

Well we were 20 minutes late into Newport - not that the driver mentioned or apologised for the fact !!

Lrd

Established Member
Well we were 20 minutes late into Newport - not that the driver mentioned or apologised for the fact !!
Well in that case it's just a lazy driver. A friendly email/tweet is worth doing if you're in the mood but it probably won't reach the individual driver.

If NatEx get a lot of complaints about certain operators then when tenders come up for renewal that may sway their decision to go elsewhere.

They may let the operator know and the operator may put a notice up or may have a chat but it's unlikely for the one complaint.

Temple Meads

Established Member
For some drivers I imagine the easiest thing to say is nothing at all - not good customer service of course!

I've seen a few drivers loading at VCS for their return trip before their 45 minutes break is up!

Butts

Veteran Member
Well in that case it's just a lazy driver. A friendly email/tweet is worth doing if you're in the mood but it probably won't reach the individual driver.

If NatEx get a lot of complaints about certain operators then when tenders come up for renewal that may sway their decision to go elsewhere.

They may let the operator know and the operator may put a notice up or may have a chat but it's unlikely for the one complaint.

Do they cough up vouchers like lot's of Rail Operators ?

Lrd

Established Member
Do they cough up vouchers like lot's of Rail Operators ?
Nope, not for something like that. They do give out vouchers if the vehicle has broken down but the driver has to call up and get a code from control and hand out vouchers so you may get something for the delay on the A7 if you email them but I wouldn't expect too much from especially as you were picked up pretty sharpishly.

Maybe if Virgin start running coaches then you'd get a goodwill gesture :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
No. In all honesty, you come over as someone who is not very tolerant, or understanding. I accept that may be my interpretation.

I respect your point of view, but I don't think expecting a Driver to make announcements is intolerant or beyond the realms of common courtesy.

Butts

Veteran Member
Nope, not for something like that. They do give out vouchers if the vehicle has broken down but the driver has to call up and get a code from control and hand out vouchers so you may get something for the delay on the A7 if you email them but I wouldn't expect too much from especially as you were picked up pretty sharpishly.

Maybe if Virgin start running coaches then you'd get a goodwill gesture :lol:

No problem thanks for the heads up !!

Mwanesh

Most drivers find it easy to keep quiet.When you explain to passengers some dont listen with ears closed.I remember when the M4 was shut due to an accident with traffic backing up for miles.One passenger wanted to kill the driver for not moving saying he should have planned for this after a few minutes i just had to step and told the lady to use common sense .She calmed down after a few exchanges we were there for more than an hour

Established Member
Standard procedure for a breakdown amongst most NX operators, always pull up infront of the broken down vehicle and reverse back to it. Thus when you later come to set off, you can get to speed in the hard shoulder then safely pull into the LH lane. That said, a little unconventional doing that smack bang in the middle of a 3-lane city street :o

Status
Not open for further replies.