• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express West Midlands Bus Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoon

Established Member
Fast forward to a few months later and none of the new terms and conditions have been implemented despite continuous promises that they will be and newly recruited drivers are continuing to leave after only weeks of being recruited as well as well established drivers with decades of experience. Furthermore, the pay offer we were originally offered before Christmas was more of a threat in that it stated if we did not accept the deal then compulsory redundancies will be made. The deal also did include our small rise that we had in October which we were explicitly told would not be. The company told us it was a 14% increase which was completely false as a simple calculation revealed it was 8% on our current rate and 11% compared to before our rise.
Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for your measured response, as @duncanp writes, it does help us understand the situation, it particular that it is about more than pay, which, unfortunately. is how disputes are usually portrayed in the media. I have taken just a short section of it out and hilighted what I regard as the most telling part, mot just in this situation but elsewhere. If management (or, indeed, the work force) negotiate a deal, it must stick to it. If they really cannot deliver in a timely fashion, they must offer (not impose) a temporary fix, until they can. It is all about trust; once trust is broken between one side and the other then co-operation becomes more difficult to achieve. I, for one. would welcome a similarly measured response from management.

Incidentally, it is not just in the West Midlands that new drivers don't seem to last long. Part of the reason, no doubt, for the cuts in services around the country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DriverNX

Hi, I would personally have voted yes to the latest pay offer but the union has rejected it. I have approached the union to ask that they at least put the vote to the drivers however the union is telling us that most drivers are not happy with the offer and the strike will go ahead.

I can only really speak for myself but I find a lot of mixed feelings amongst the drivers and some are still going to work despite a strike being called. It really won't be many though and the disruption is going to be considerable. Many drivers rely on the bus services themselves and as a driver operating on Birmingham routes I appreciate just how many passengers we carry. How these people will go about their day without the buses I dread to think.

The union tells us there is a £50m fund for strike pay, across 3300 staff this means the strike could easily go on for weeks should the union wish this to be the case. I suspect it will not. Naturally there are a number of very vocal unionist drivers who seem all to keen to get on the picket line; but I do feel most drivers, despite voting for industrial action like myself hope a resolution can be reached before this happens.

The union is saying the dispute is about pay however I think it is slightly more complex than that. The new GS of Unite Sharon Graham does seem a lot more aggressive in her approach than previous GS's and I feel under someone else drivers may not have been persuaded by the union literature such as pamphlets, emails, letters etc. The message from the union to the drivers is very clear in that they strongly advise we reject any offers upto now and continue with industrial action should it come to it.

I just hope if we do win it can be sustainable for everyone as an unsustainable win would not be a win at all.

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for your measured response, as @duncanp writes, it does help us understand the situation, it particular that it is about more than pay, which, unfortunately. is how disputes are usually portrayed in the media. I have taken just a short section of it out and hilighted what I regard as the most telling part, mot just in this situation but elsewhere. If management (or, indeed, the work force) negotiate a deal, it must stick to it. If they really cannot deliver in a timely fashion, they must offer (not impose) a temporary fix, until they can. It is all about trust; once trust is broken between one side and the other then co-operation becomes more difficult to achieve. I, for one. would welcome a similarly measured response from management.

Incidentally, it is not just in the West Midlands that new drivers don't seem to last long. Part of the reason, no doubt, for the cuts in services around the country.
Hi,

Yes I believe you are correct in that many bus operators around the UK are also facing major shortages. At our depot alone we have had days where we have lost around a quarter of our daily mileage. This has in turn put massive pressure on drivers during their shift who are picking up very angry passengers who have been waiting much longer than anticipated. During the peak of the shortages I have been at the end of countless verbal abuse, I have had people putting their hands into the cab to try and physically harm me despite having not provoked anything.

As far as I can tell NXWM pay fairly well compared to other operators in the area however with the 'cost of living crisis' drivers including myself are having to sacrifice a lot within our lifestyle to make ends meet within an evermore stressful environment. I know this perhaps applies to a multitude of people in other industries too but obviously bus drivers are fiercely represented by an established union.

As I said before, I genuinely hope we do not strike and a deal can be made before the 16th. I sense strikes do not sit easy with public opinion these days and if we do strike it may open us up to even more abuse.

I think I have a fairly more balanced view compared to more hardened union members and personally I would have voted to accept the latest pay offer put forward. I want the offer to be something that means my kids, my wife and myself can continue to live comfortably but also be sustainable for the company in order to protect our jobs.

If the company wants drivers to stay in the profession I do think they need to be more forward looking. I came here for a career until I retire. I'm only in my 30s and with rising mortgage costs, childcare costs, food, utilities plus pretty much everything else I am feeling a lot more financial pressure like everyone else. If after this industrial action the pay deal we receive is not on par with the lifestyle I've become used to then like many of my colleagues I will look to retrain as a HGV driver and earn £35-40K plus.

Lets hope an agreement can be made before the 16th because I am very aware of the effect this will have on all of our passengers.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Lets hope an agreement can be made before the 16th because I am very aware of the effect this will have on all of our passengers.

There is an article in the Birmingham Mail today about the strike, with the headline

Continuous strike threat piles pressure on transport bosses to reach a compromise

I can't help but think that both sides are waiting for the other to blink first, with the union hoping that the company will make an improved offer, however small, which will allow it to claim a "win" from the strike, and enable the offer to be put to the membership.

As you say, if the final outcome is not sustainable it will adversely affect the profitability of the company, which will lead to cuts in services, or possibly the company being put up for sale and being bought by Arriva, First or (god help us) Stagecoach.

Having seem what Stagecoach have done to bus services in other parts of the country (ie. Norfolk Green) I wouldn't want them to get their hands on NXWM.

West Midlands bus strikes to continue every day as passengers face being left stranded​

Continuous strike threat piles pressure on transport bosses to reach a compromise

Bus strikes set to start next week in the West Midlands will then continue EVERY DAY until the dispute is resolved, unions warned, bringing the transport network grinding to a halt and leaving commuters and shoppers stranded. Drivers at National Express, which covers 93% of the West Midlands bus network, are set to walk out from Thursday, March 16 in a row over pay.

And they will not return until they get the outcome they want, Unite confirmed. The unprecedented strike action leaves the region facing the prospect of seeing most of its bus network disappear for days, bringing huge disruption to people's lives, and has piled huge pressure on transport bosses.

National Express has criticised drivers and unions over the industrial action and have argued demands for a 19% pay rise are unreasonable. Drivers have been offered an 11% pay rise but Unite insists it's not enough.

The threat of continuous strike action bringing chaos to the daily routines of West Midlanders will only heap pressure on transport bosses to reach a compromise, and that pressure will only increase as March 16 draws closer.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “National Express is sitting on mountains of cash and can absolutely afford to give a pay rise to its staff that reflects rocketing living costs. It needs to do just that. Unite defends our members jobs, pay and conditions to the hilt and the National Express workforce has their union’s total and unflinching support during these strikes.”

But National Express bosses hit back, saying: "How many people reading this can say they’ve been offered a 19% pay rise in a year? Only 60% of drivers voted in favour of industrial action on an out-of-date offer of 8.1% and yet multi-million pound union Unite would see their members out of pocket and the lives of the people of the West Midlands disrupted to score political points."

DriverNX

Additionally I know one factor that really isn't helping is that NXWM (even before the information about industrial action went public) have continued to almost threaten drivers with redundancy and job cuts if we do not accept the initial much less substantial offers. We have also been villianised by our own employer through the papers and internal literature. This approach has been very counter productive and drivers have not taken well to it, me included.

Had the company treated us with more respect even during the early stages of the pay talks I can't help but think we may have already accepted an offer. I do think a trust has been broken and whether the company can or cannot afford more (I cannot say but) the union for some reason feels confident they can.

I love my job despite the challenges. I must agree with the majority in that the company does not treat drivers with much respect or dignity. I say that as someone who has previously run a company employing a few dozen people.

It also doesn't sit particularly well with me that Mark Heffernan our Operations Director is a man that has previously been convicted of financial fraud with his £91,000 job with GWR. How he got a job with our company I will never know. Applying as a driver you are not allowed any previous convictions yet the man overseeing our pay deal and company operations is an ex-con who received a suspended jail term and financial penalty.

A RAIL boss on £91,000 a year who authorised illicit expenditure on alcohol, hotels and travel has received a suspended jail term.

Mark Heffernan, 47, of Clifford Street, Chudleigh, Devon, admitted four charges of fraud totalling £10,530.

Bristol Crown Court heard his personal assistant, 46-year-old Jennifer Perry, of Pill, admitted a single fraud.

That totalled £3,281 and was by facilitating the payment of fraudulent alcohol expenses between June 2009 and December 2016.

Judge Martin Picton handed Heffernan a 12 month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and told him to fully compensate GWR plus £1,800 court costs

Last edited by a moderator:

duncanp

Established Member
Additionally I know one factor that really isn't helping is that NXWM (even before the information about industrial action went public) have continued to almost threaten drivers with redundancy and job cuts if we do not accept the initial much less substantial offers. We have also been villianised by our own employer through the papers and internal literature. This approach has been very counter productive and drivers have not taken well to it, me included.

Had the company treated us with more respect even during the early stages of the pay talks I can't help but think we may have already accepted an offer. I do think a trust has been broken and whether the company can or cannot afford more (I cannot say but) the union for some reason feels confident they can.

I love my job despite the challenges. I must agree with the majority in that the company does not treat drivers with much respect or dignity. I say that as someone who has previously run a company employing a few dozen people.

It also doesn't sit particularly well with me that Mark Heffernan our Operations Director is a man that has previously been convicted of financial fraud with his £91,000 job with GWR. How he got a job with our company I will never know. Applying as a driver you are not allowed any previous convictions yet the man overseeing our pay deal and company operations is an ex-con who received a suspended jail term and financial penalty.

Threatening people with redundancy and job cuts, in an occupation where there is a staff shortage, is never a good idea and is a sign of bad management who want to do a bit of willy waving to their shareholders.

Perhaps you should remind them what happened in Bournemouth last year when Yellow Buses went into administration.

MoreBus were falling over themselves to recruit redundant Yellow Buses drivers, holding a special recruitment fair at a local hotel, and within days of Yellow Buses ceasing trading every driver who wanted a new job had one, and no doubt a reasonable redundancy package to boot.

DriverNX

I agree. We were all dumbfounded when the talk of potential redundancies was put on the table by NX at a time the company was and still is desperately trying to recruit and retain staff! I have heard that unsurprisingly Andy Street has been talking to our directors and he has stipulated to them that the strikes must not go ahead and a deal must be reached. Whether this will lead to further funding I can only speculate.

Typhoon

Established Member

I think you understate the position, according to the newspaper article, he was headhunted, so that means they National Express went into the negotiations with their eyes open. There may be others who have more details about Mr Heffernan on the Forum (he crops up a couple of times in posts but no real detail).

I really do think that threats are a pretty stupid response under the circumstance, if you make them, you have to be able to go through with them, That is fine while management hold the upper hand but all the while there is a shortage of drivers, those sacked will probably walk into a job elsewhere, maybe not in public transport (although one website was offering 74 vacancies in the Birmingham area) bur certainly something that keeps the money coming in. And Andy Street will know this as well as anyone.

duncanp

Established Member
I agree. We were all dumbfounded when the talk of potential redundancies was put on the table by NX at a time the company was and still is desperately trying to recruit and retain staff! I have heard that unsurprisingly Andy Street has been talking to our directors and he has stipulated to them that the strikes must not go ahead and a deal must be reached. Whether this will lead to further funding I can only speculate.

It is good to hear that Andy Street is putting pressure on the company to do a deal.

I suspect that the management are discussing what revised pay offer they can make, and that later this week or early next week a revised offer will be put to the unions, just in time for them to call off the strike.

winston270twm

Established Member
‘These unions’ are taking the action which has been mandated by their membership in a ballot.
The Unite members haven't had the opportunity to vote on the latest pay offer, the all out strike is based on the previous offer.

DriverNX

The Unite members haven't had the opportunity to vote on the latest pay offer, the all out strike is based on the previous offer.
Correct. Although yes, you could argue that union reps have a mandate to act upon the interest of the members in a similar way to MPs and their constituents. I feel the strike action that was voted for (96.2% including myself) is now void following a much more improved offer. Why am I going to strike when the company has made a pay offer I would be personally willing to accept? There are a few drivers like me scratching their heads.

duncanp

Established Member
Correct. Although yes, you could argue that union reps have a mandate to act upon the interest of the members in a similar way to MPs and their constituents. I feel the strike action that was voted for (96.2% including myself) is now void following a much more improved offer. Why am I going to strike when the company has made a pay offer I would be personally willing to accept? There are a few drivers like me scratching their heads.

Have you made your views known to your union reps, and if so what do they say?

As you say, they have a duty to act in the interests of the members, and it is questionable whether their interests are best served by going on strike when the company has made a pay offer which some drivers would be willing to accept.

What does the union hope to achieve by going on strike? What improvements to the latest pay offer do they think they can achieve, and how long are they prepared to maintain the strike for?

Surely the best thing to do would be to re-ballot the membership on the latest pay offer, and consider industrial action if the membership reject it.

Perhaps the company, rather than the union, should conduct a ballot on the latest pay offer.

I can't help thinking that there is an element of the new union leader adopting a more militant stance on this issue just to try and make a name for herself in the wider trade union movement.

Meanwhile it is the employees of National Express West Midlands and the travelling public who suffer.

DriverNX

Strikes at National Express West Midlands scheduled to begin this Thursday (16 March) have been suspended, Unite, the UK’s leading union, said today (Monday).

Unite has suspended the industrial action due to be taken by more than 3,200 drivers and more than 200 engineers to allow for an improved offer to be balloted on by members.

If the offer is rejected, all out indefinite strike action will begin at 0001 hrs on Monday 20 March.

Unite regional officer Sulinder Singh said: “Following significant progress with the company in negotiations, an improved pay offer was made. Strike action scheduled to begin this Thursday has been postponed to allow our members to vote on the offer.”

Last edited by a moderator:

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Damn, and I was looking forward to seeing how overloaded Diamond would have been on the 25 in Stourbridge (as that, the 17 and the 6 would have been the only 3 routes running between Dudley and Stourbridge)

duncanp

Established Member
That is good news.

Presumably the union are reasonably happy with the improved pay offer, otherwise they wouldn't have called off the strike.

Let's just hope that the offer is accepted.

I would have been stuck with 3 buses per hour between Bearwood and Oldbury, running only between 09:30 and 16:30, followed by a walk to Sandwell & Dudley station to get the train.

Or a 3/4 mile walk to get one of the 6 buses per day between Quinton and Birmingham on the 10, or the 55 down to the QE hospital.

DriverNX

That is good news.

Presumably the union are reasonably happy with the improved pay offer, otherwise they wouldn't have called off the strike.

Let's just hope that the offer is accepted.

I would have been stuck with 3 buses per hour between Bearwood and Oldbury, running only between 09:30 and 16:30, followed by a walk to Sandwell & Dudley station to get the train.

Or a 3/4 mile walk to get one of the 6 buses per day between Quinton and Birmingham on the 10, or the 55 down to the QE hospital.
I am sure the offer will be accepted. It is basically just a reshuffle on the previous offer that didn't make it to ballot however, it pays more in year 1 with a lower rise in year 2 but over the 2 years the deal is worth almost exactly the same as the previous unballoted one. I am happy with the deal and relieved we may not be going on strike. It is a 3 year deal too with a small raise in year 3. The union has recommended us to accept.

duncanp

Established Member
I am sure the offer will be accepted. It is basically just a reshuffle on the previous offer that didn't make it to ballot however, it pays more in year 1 with a lower rise in year 2 but over the 2 years the deal is worth almost exactly the same as the previous unballoted one. I am happy with the deal and relieved we may not be going on strike. It is a 3 year deal too with a small raise in year 3. The union has recommended us to accept.

The fact that the union has recommended acceptance of the offer means that it is almost certain that it will be accepted and a strike avoided.

The fact that it is a three year deal gives a bit of certainty in the short and medium term, so that we won't be faced with a similar situation next year.

Perhaps the company will get around to editing their website, as there is no mention of the strike being called off on there (yet)

Nor is there anything on Facebook or Twitter.

Typhoon

Established Member
Good news, I'm due in Brum next week and had worked out a roundabout way of getting to my destination using rail, Diamond and walk! Hopefully, it won't be needed. A shame it had to go quite so close to the brink but it does show that with a bit of give and take, deals can be negotiated. I woke up this morning, radio on, a Minister proclaiming that a pay increase of whatever was unaffordable. It probably is, but surely that is the point of negotiating!!

Added:
Perhaps the company will get around to editing their website, as there is no mention of the strike being called off on there (yet)

Nor is there anything on Facebook or Twitter.

Website updated (my emphasis):
The bus strike has been suspended until Monday 20th March while a vote on an improved offer takes place. Buses will be running as normal until then. We’ll post all updates on this webpage and on our social media as soon as we have them.

Last edited:

DriverNX

Hi everyone,

I just want to update that the vote had fallen through and drivers will no longer be voting today on the proposed deal due to a number of complaints allegedly made by members. The strikes will go ahead on Monday and I can't see any other way it can now be avoided.

duncanp

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I just want to update that the vote had fallen through and drivers will no longer be voting today on the proposed deal due to a number of complaints allegedly made by members. The strikes will go ahead on Monday and I can't see any other way it can now be avoided.

What exactly are the complaints made by the members which would cause the vote to be cancelled?

If they are not happy with the deal, they can vote against it.

DriverNX

I have no idea, members have received a letter stating if the vote does go ahead it may be tomorrow and at present they are now recommending us to reject it. When I have more time I will give more information but there does seem to have been some internal bickering between local Unite reps and Regional Unite staff.

duncanp

Established Member
I have no idea, members have received a letter stating if the vote does go ahead it may be tomorrow and at present they are now recommending us to reject it. When I have more time I will give more information but there does seem to have been some internal bickering between local Unite reps and Regional Unite staff.

It does seem a pity that there is the potential for considerable disruption to services because of internal bickering within the Unite union.

Is it a case of the local Unite reps wanting to reject the deal, whereas the regional staff would rather accept it?

If this is the case, then the union leadership needs to bang a few heads together.

Surely the decision should be left to the staff, with perhaps no recommendation at all as to whether to accept or reject the deal.

Thanks for keeping us informed though.

bussnapperwm

Established Member

All out indefinite strike action impacting 93 per cent of the West Midlands bus network by 3,100 National Express drivers will begin on Monday (20 March).

Strikes are back on after National Express refused to allow drivers to vote on its latest offer during meetings at their depots. The union was willing to put the offer to a vote, even though it is likely to be rejected because it ties workers into a three year pay deal.

National Express’ refusal to allow the vote and split the union from its members is the latest in a series of attempts by the company to undermine a 93 per cent vote for industrial action by drivers to break the strike and force a dictated pay deal.

As well as preventing a depot-based vote on the deal, National Express stands accused of:

• Dragging individuals into one-to-one meetings to brow beat them into not taking strike action
  • Sending text messages demanding to know if workers are striking
  • Threatening job losses and garage closures if industrial action goes ahead
  • Workers have also reported that they have been told they will be barred from overtime in the future if they strike.

duncanp

Established Member
From a passenger's point of view, it is difficult to know who is telling the truth.

If the deal was good enough for the union to suspend the strike that should have started today, how come the union are now saying that they would recommend their members to reject it?

What further improvements to the pay offer does the union want before they will consider suspending the strike, and is reinstating the strike a tactic by the union to put pressure on the company to make concessions at the last minute.

When I lived in London, it would quite often be the case that a tube strike was called off with less than 24 hours to go.

Daily West Midlands bus strikes back on as fresh date for major disruption announced​

Strikes back on as relations break down between National Express and Unite

Daily West Midlands bus strikes are back on and will start from Monday - wiping out the majority of services across the region. The Unite union has announced industrial action will start following a fresh twist in the bitter row with operator National Express (NX).

Strikes had first been planned for Thursday, March 16 but action was suspended when an improved pay offer was put forward. But Unite leaders have now accused NX of trying to bypass the union by refusing to allow drivers to vote during meetings at their depot.

The union had been likely to recommend drivers reject the new terms anyway. It means, unless a resolution is reached over the next few days, indefinite strike action will start on Monday.

Unite has warned strikes will continue every day until they and drivers get a deal they are satisfied with. NX runs 93 per cent of the West Midlands bus network and the action will cause major disruption.

The operator will run a heavily-reduced service, with most buses running being on hospital routes. Services that do run will be less frequent and won't run as late as usual.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Unite stands shoulder-to-shoulder with our members at National Express – attempts at union-busting by the company will not change that. They will receive Unite’s complete and utter support during these strikes for a fair pay rise.”

But NX hit back saying: "This is an outrageous and calculating misrepresentation of what has happened. We have been calling for a vote all along and people can see our previous comments on that. We want our drivers to have a chance to make up their own minds on our improved offer.

“We improved our offer to 14.3 per cent on the base rate in year one and we added certainty - at Unite’s request - for years two and three at 3.5 per cent and 2.2 per cent. Not only that, we were willing to give an inflation guarantee so that if inflation was above either four per cent in year two or three per cent in year three, we’d have re-opened the negotiations. Unite’s right hand clearly doesn’t know what its left hand is doing.

“The real victims in this whole scenario will be the people of the West Midlands who just want to go about their daily lives and not have to contend with the disruption and chaos that this strike will bring. To them, we say we are sincerely sorry and we are doing all we can to avoid this happening.

“We believe drivers should have their say in a free and fair way. We believe in a democratic process and support a confidential ballot. Why are Unite so scared of democracy? Let our people have their say.”

The union had earlier sent a letter to members confirming there would be no ballot amid claims it had been asked to remain neutral for the vote, which it refused to do. The prospect of an indefinite strike has heaped huge pressure on NX bosses.

The improved pay offer came after it insisted it had already tabled a fair deal of an 11 per cent pay rise, along with a one-off 2.3 per cent payment. Unite insisted it could afford to pay drivers more, and they deserved to be rewarded for their work.

Union leaders argued the latest offer would likely have been turned down as it locked workers into a three-year pay deal.

DriverNX

As a driver I agree with NX and I know a number of drivers are starting to feel the same. We are being pulled in both directions and have not had the opportunity to have our say on any of the latest pay offers. I am quite angry at how this situation is unfolding and if the strikes do go ahead I will not be supporting them on Monday and will instead do my bit to keep people moving. It is outrageous that the Union seems to be almost silencing those drivers that want to accept the current offer. There has been a row between NX and Unite about how the ballot should be held. NX want it to be electronic and Unite a paper ballot. Because this could not agreed upon no opportunity is now being given for drivers to vote. Furthermore the union has changed its recommendation from accept to reject with no substantial explanation. As a driver I am furious at my Union and I'm sorry to say but cannot stand on the picket line complaining about not getting fair pay when there have been two offers I would have accepted and subsequently haven't been allowed to have my say on.

Typhoon

Established Member
From a passenger's point of view, it is difficult to know who is telling the truth.

If the deal was good enough for the union to suspend the strike that should have started today, how come the union are now saying that they would recommend their members to reject it?

What further improvements to the pay offer does the union want before they will consider suspending the strike, and is reinstating the strike a tactic by the union to put pressure on the company to make concessions at the last minute.

When I lived in London, it would quite often be the case that a tube strike was called off with less than 24 hours to go.

To begin with, I declare an interest. I am due to attend a meeting in Birmingham next week, I have a back up plan that involves rail, other providers and much more walking (with a cumbersome load). However, I note in #52
  • Dragging individuals into one-to-one meetings to brow beat them into not taking strike action
  • Workers have also reported that they have been told they will be barred from overtime in the future if they strike.
As a retired union member (not Unite), I find those worrying. I know some of this is difficult but I would hope that more concrete evidence of this will seep out. I realise that some of the language has been chosen with reason but some of this amounts to bullying (if true). It is not always just about pay.

As regards the Birmingham Mail, having spent my working life living in Birmingham, I would rate the Birmingham Mail or a par with the Daily Mail regarding bias (although I accept there is not much choice of source)!

DriverNX

To begin with, I declare an interest. I am due to attend a meeting in Birmingham next week, I have a back up plan that involves rail, other providers and much more walking (with a cumbersome load). However, I note in #52

As a retired union member (not Unite), I find those worrying. I know some of this is difficult but I would hope that more concrete evidence of this will seep out. I realise that some of the language has been chosen with reason but some of this amounts to bullying (if true). It is not always just about pay.

As regards the Birmingham Mail, having spent my working life living in Birmingham, I would rate the Birmingham Mail or a par with the Daily Mail regarding bias (although I accept there is not much choice of source)!
I personally have not witnessed or experienced any bullying or pressure at my garage but I cannot speak for everyone on that.

duncanp

Established Member

The alleged actions of management outlined below are to be deplored, as they make a strike more likely than not.
Perhaps these issues are just at one garage rather than all of them.

I have as much of a dim view of bully boy managers as I do of grandstanding union leaders who often have ulterior motives.

Part of being a good manager is knowing how to handle people, to conduct negotiations and to de-escalate tense situations.

The union needs to be clear about what it wants from this dispute, ie. what level of improvement to the pay offer will it deem to be acceptable, and if there are issues with bullying and other working conditions, what does it want done about them.

Regardless of whether the strike goes ahead, ulitmately it will end by the union members having vote on the latest pay offer, and it is in everyone's interest that this takes place sooner rather than later.

Typhoon

Established Member
I personally have not witnessed or experienced any bullying or pressure at my garage but I cannot speak for everyone on that.
Thanks - that is why I mentioned 'if true'. I know it is difficult but if there are text messages, they cannot be that difficult to anonymise (presumably the content would be pretty much the same - if no evidence is produced, that says a lot!
I have as much of a dim view of bully boy managers as I do of grandstanding union leaders who often have ulterior motives.

Part of being a good manager is knowing how to handle people, to conduct negotiations and to de-escalate tense situations.
Absolutely. If it is localised it needs calling out (managers and Union reps). I have experienced carp (anag.) examples of both in my time. The country is short of decent examples of both. There is this belief that if you shout loud you must be good at managing (meant in its widest sense), usually it is the opposite!

duncanp

Established Member
The BBC are now reporting that the dispute is over the type of ballot which should take place, ie. whether the ballot should take place during meeting at each garage (as the union wants) or in a confidential ballot (as the company wants).

The company are saying that workplace ballots are illegal, whereas the union argument is that only workplace ballots on taking industrial action are illegal, and that workplace ballots on whether to accept a revised pay offer are still permitted.

If this is the case, surely the way forward would be to take independent legal advice on the matter, and for both sides to abide by the outcome of that opinion.

National Express drivers in the West Midlands are to go on strike on Monday.
The Unite union, which suspended action earlier in the week to allow members to vote on a new pay offer, took the decision after accusing the company of refusing to allow a workplace ballot.
National Express West Midlands said Unite was guilty of an "outrageous and calculating misrepresentation of what has happened".
It said drivers should be allowed a confidential ballot instead.
Unite members have previously voted in favour of strike action in the dispute over pay.
The union said it wanted the vote on the latest pay offer to take place in meetings at depots, although it said it was "likely to be rejected because it ties workers into a three-year pay deal".
It called this "an attack on union democracy".
Unite also said it was asked by National Express to endorse the deal, which it refused.
It said the company then demanded it remain neutral when the ballot was held.
Instead, Unite has recommended members reject the deal because it has "more strings attached than a grand piano".

'Scared of democracy'​

National Express responded to say it had been calling for a vote on the pay offer for some time, but added: "We want our drivers to have a chance to make up their own minds on our improved offer."
It said had made it a three-year deal to add certainty, at Unite's request, while also including a promise to reopen negotiations if inflation rose beyond a set level in the future.
The company said the "real victims" of the strike would be people in the West Midlands who have their lives disrupted, and accused the union of being "scared of democracy".
It added: "We believe in a democratic process and support a confidential ballot."
The Unite union said it took the decision to hold workplace ballots at the request of members to "speed up the process".
Workplace ballots on industrial action are no longer legal, but the union said ballots on pay offers were not covered by that legislation and were still possible.
Some 3,100 staff are due to take part in the industrial action, which the union said would affect 93% of the West Midlands bus network.

Last edited:

DriverNX

OK. So the ballot is back on and will take place tomorrow and Saturday. Talk about last minute! I believe the last pay offer has been altered to exclude year 2 and 3 so will be just a 1 year deal as most of the issue was with the fact there were such poor terms after year 1. Hopefully with this news it gives a little more optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.