• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Enquiries - Can it Get Any Worse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yet again the NRE website seems to have fallen over. This website seems to get more unreliable everytime I use it. Even when you can get it to churn out a train, it frequently doesn't respond to instructions such as via requests.

Someone came on here a year or so ago saying they were working on it. Are they doing something about it now ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
It's rubbish and just don't use it anymore unless I really have to!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's rubbish and just don't use it anymore unless I really have to!

Agreed! I use FastJP for journey planning, BR Fares for looking up walk on fares and restrictions and TOC websites to check advances. I only really use NRE for 'Stations Made Easy' (but even then there are a growing number of stations where it is no longer accurate) and for checking future engineering works.

Terrible website and I think it is shocking that this is the one of the main points of contact for many people looking for information.

trainophile

Established Member
I use it all the time, and it does what I want it to. However my requirements aren't terribly sophisticated, just Live Trains really, to see whether the inbound train I intend to catch is running on time. Unless I'm in a bad signal area it's pretty efficient for my purposes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I use it all the time, and it does what I want it to. However my requirements aren't terribly sophisticated, just Live Trains really, to see whether the inbound train I intend to catch is running on time. Unless I'm in a bad signal area it's pretty efficient for my purposes.

I prefer RealTimeTrains for that and I find it loads much faster than NRE.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The annoying thing is, I actually prefer the NRE layout to mixing desk type websites, if only it would work properly.

MancMetro

For a long time I had the problem that the timer box would come up when I searched for a journey, but the journey results page would never load. I even took a movie of it and sent it to them, but their outsourced customer enquiries department didn't seem to think it was a problem.

In the last few weeks I noticed the timer box had gone and it was working again, except for tonight of course.

theironroad

Established Member
I use the app on my phone a lot and normally it's OK. However this evening for a good period while I was trying to use it it kept saying my phone had no connection despite everything else working fine. It sorted itself eventually.

Swaffrail

Must say I use it frequently for train times etc plus live departure boards, fares and never have a problem. Must be us privileged southerns again.

trainophile

Established Member
I use the app on my phone a lot and normally it's OK. However this evening for a good period while I was trying to use it it kept saying my phone had no connection despite everything else working fine. It sorted itself eventually.

I seem to remember that in the last App update, clicking on "what's new" mentioned among other things a fix for a bug that says you are not connected to the Internet when you are.

I sometimes wonder if there are so many people using it at the same time that it can't accommodate them all.

Mugby

Established Member
Some people may have trouble with it on their phones but I've never had any problems with it on my laptop.

cf111

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago the journey planner refused to recognise railcards at all for me, it's fixed now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.