• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NC64 coaching set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Reports on another forum that this set is heading to Laira for refurbishment then off to Trans Pennine. Anyone in a position to confirm or deny this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
It is heading to Laira and it is going to TPE after that. The move to Laira was meant to have happened ages ago, officially this is due to a lack of DRS drivers but NC64 itself continues to languish ooutside of and occupy a road at Crown Point.

TheEdge

Established Member
Also there is an AGA RFM sat with it that is, according to the rumour mill going for scrap? Anyone heard anything about that?

On Moderation
Also there is an AGA RFM sat with it that is, according to the rumour mill going for scrap? Anyone heard anything about that?
10229, I presume? Not going for scrap. There is a reason why it is stabled with NC64...

83G/84D

Established Member
It is heading to Laira and it is going to TPE after that. The move to Laira was meant to have happened ages ago, officially this is due to a lack of DRS drivers but NC64 itself continues to languish ooutside of and occupy a road at Crown Point.

Thank you.

CosherB

Established Member

Scrap? I was hoping it would end up in TPE set #2, so both rakes would have 4 x TSOs and 1 x RFM (so the 3 x FOs are converted to TSOs). ;)

SprinterMan

Established Member
Does that mean TPE will be operating these sets with proper buffet cars? Or will the buffet be out of use?

What brake vehicles will be used?

As far as I know (i.e. don't treat this as gospel) the buffet area will be used as a guard's office and possible refilling area for the trolley, not to provide actual buffet service. No brake vehicle is needed as the trains will be top and tailed with 68s.

Adam :)

dk1

Veteran Member
As far as I know (i.e. don't treat this as gospel) the buffet area will be used as a guard's office and possible refilling area for the trolley, not to provide actual buffet service. No brake vehicle is needed as the trains will be top and tailed with 68s.

Are you sure that is permitted? Top & tail always had required a brake vehicle.

1179_Clee2

You cannot do this sort of mod at Laira.
Remember GWR sent its HST buffet cars away to be converted.
I disagree about brake vehicles as BOTH Anglia short sets have brake vehicles and BOTH sets are top and tailed. If Trans Pennine don't need them why do Anglia.

hst43009

I disagree about brake vehicles as BOTH Anglia short sets have brake vehicles and BOTH sets are top and tailed. If Trans Pennine don't need them why do Anglia.
What sort of mod? Not sure the scope of works suggested for Laira was mentioned?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chubs

10229, I presume? Not going for scrap. There is a reason why it is stabled with NC64...

If it goes away with the Pretendolino will all the AGA sets have a buffet? Would be a shame if it left one rake without.

Established Member
Mk3s don't need one - see Wrexham before were DVTs were ready.

dk1

Veteran Member

Just looked that up & you are correct good sir. Is that due to the types of locos used 67/68 as we had to use a DVT on Anglia with MK3s? I never knew it was possible.

alexl92

Established Member

Just looked that up & you are correct good sir. Is that due to the types of locos used 67/68 as we had to use a DVT on Anglia with MK3s? I never knew it was possible.

I understood the reason for the DVT being included in the short sets even though they were T&T'd was to provide accommodation for the guard. However I think there was a MK3 coach classified as a TGS, which I thought meant Trailer Guard Second/Standard - so maybe there are a couple of those that can be used?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I understood the reason for the DVT being included in the short sets even though they were T&T'd was to provide accommodation for the guard. However I think there was a MK3 coach classified as a TGS, which I thought meant Trailer Guard Second/Standard - so maybe there are a couple of those that can be used?

I thought GWR had all of those in their sleeper rakes.

I suppose having a brake vehicle is quite a UK thing. European practice is that coaches all have a handbrake (the wheel is visible near the doors at one end) and the guard just wanders round or occupies a designated bay of seats/compartment.

On Moderation
I think there's several points/misconceptions in the last few posts:
- all GA sets will have a buffet. 10229 was effectively acting as a spare whilst the buffet conversion project was ongoing.
- TGS vehicles are HST vehicles, so not related to this discussion.
- GWR have the three LHCS Mark 3b BFOs, which are brake vehicles.
- a brake vehicle is still required for Mark 3 sets (see GWR sleepers). The reason TPE (and WSMR before) don't need them is because the sets are to be top'n'tailed by two locos. Therefore there is always as least one loco attached to the set, with the loco acting as the brake vehicle.

dk1

Veteran Member
Maybe WSMR staff where more accepting as using the catering area as guard accommodation than a standard TOC. I take it too cycles etc where not accommodated as readily on this open access operator.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think there's several points/misconceptions in the last few posts:
- all GA sets will have a buffet. 10229 was effectively acting as a spare whilst the buffet conversion project was ongoing.
- TGS vehicles are HST vehicles, so not related to this discussion.
- GWR have the three LHCS Mark 3b BFOs, which are brake vehicles.
- a brake vehicle is still required for Mark 3 sets (see GWR sleepers). The reason TPE (and WSMR before) don't need them is because the sets are to be top'n'tailed by two locos. Therefore there is always as least one loco attached to the set, with the loco acting as the brake vehicle.

Indeed so. One question I have though although it's possibly more for the GW Thread - Is 10229 Going to Laira to be converted for TPE or is it set to stay with GWR? GWR are set to receive one RFM to replace another which is suffering from corrosion.

Not quite correct as the Mini Buffet's were converted in Laira. The majority of the buffet vehicles in the FGW Fleet were however overhauled and refurbished by Bombardier at Ilford during the main refurbishment program of 2006-2009.

On Moderation
Indeed so. One question I have though although it's possibly more for the GW Thread - Is 10229 Going to Laira to be converted for TPE or is it set to stay with GWR? GWR are set to receive one RFM to replace another which is suffering from corrosion.

It's for TPE.

Townsend Hook

Maybe WSMR staff where more accepting as using the catering area as guard accommodation than a standard TOC. I take it too cycles etc where not accommodated as readily on this open access operator.

Top-and-tailing was only a short-term fix until the DVTs had been modified to work with class 67s.

On Moderation
I wonder what sort of spec the TPE refurb (refresh)?? Will be? Just seat covers, carpets and stickers is my guess

That is what I would expect; although the three FOs in NC64 will need converting to TSO.

alexl92

Established Member
So why are TPE's rakes going to be T&T rather than using DVTs? Apologies if it's been explained before but I think I missed that bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.