• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nearest train station to Leigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

My brother has asked me to ask on here which is the best way to get from Manchester Victoria to Leigh?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My brother has asked me to ask on here which is the best way to get from Manchester Victoria to Leigh?

Any help would be appreciated.
You can get the train to Leigh; change at Piccadilly, Euston, Charing Cross and Tonbridge ;)

Oh, you mean the non railway backwater place :p

Odd that the thread title doesn't match the content of the post; any particular reason for this?

The nearest station is probably Atherton. And the easiest way from Manchester is to get the (guided) bus.

Edgeley

The nearest station is Atherton, about 3-4 miles away. From there one could complete the journey by bus (First no 582 service from Bolton).

A better option might be to get to Salford Central station and catch a First/Vantage V1 bus to Leigh from outside the entrance (avoid the evening peak: many Vantage services are fully loaded and may not pick up at Salford Central). The V1 uses the guided busway in the latter part of the journey.

Bovverboy

Established Member

The nearest station is Atherton, about 3-4 miles away. From there one could complete the journey by bus (First no 582 service from Bolton).

A better option might be to get to Salford Central station and catch a First/Vantage V1 bus to Leigh from outside the entrance (avoid the evening peak: many Vantage services are fully loaded and may not pick up at Salford Central). The V1 uses the guided busway in the latter part of the journey.

Edgeley has summed up the options pretty well. Assuming your brother is arriving at Manchester Victoria by train I would say the best option on Mondays to Saturdays is train to Atherton (3tph - takes 21-27 minutes) then 582 bus (every 10 minutes or better, but evenings every 30, takes about 12 minutes).

On a Sunday, when the train service is only hourly (and the 582 half-hourly), it would be worth considering the V1 bus from Salford Central, but you would need to check the times.

Don't forget to tell your brother to book through to Atherton or Salford Central from his originating point.

Last edited:

Eric

Edgeley has summed up the options pretty well. Assuming your friend is arriving at Manchester Victoria by train I would say the best option on Mondays to Saturdays is train to Atherton (3tph - takes 21-27 minutes) then 582 bus (every 10 minutes or better, but evenings every 30, takes about 12 minutes).

On a Sunday, when the train service is only hourly (and the 582 half-hourly), it would be worth considering the V1 bus from Salford Central, but you would need to check the times.

Don't forget to tell your friend to book through to Atherton or Salford Central from his originating point.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Bovverboy

Established Member
Thank you. Appreciate it.

If you remember, could you let us know how your brother goes on?

I've only just noticed that your home area is given as West Yorkshire. If that's where your brother lives it may be useful to know that one of the three train journeys per hour from Manchester Victoria to Atherton (Mondays to Saturdays) actually starts from Leeds (generally at xx.20).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One thing that anyone local to Atherton will tell you is that Atherton railway station is not at all conveniently placed for its town centre.

The "Guided Busway" service V1 now runs from the MRI hospital complex into Manchester city centre on its way to Leigh bus station, but its nearest bus stop to Manchester Victoria railway station is the one at the junction of Deansgate and John Dalton Street. The bus then crosses over Deansgate, down Bridge Street and there is a bus stop that serves Salford Central railway station where this bus can be boarded.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find that the train to Atherton then the bus to Leigh is my preferred route. The bus from Bolton to Leigh stops about two minutes from Atherton train station and is pretty frequent (ten minute wait roughly).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I find that the train to Atherton then the bus to Leigh is my preferred route. The bus from Bolton to Leigh stops about two minutes from Atherton train station and is pretty frequent (ten minute wait roughly).

Noting that the original query was from Manchester Victoria station to Leigh, what is the frequency of the rail service from Manchester Victoria to Atherton?

There is another option of rail to Salford Crescent, then the V1 bus direct from there to Leigh bus station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Noting that the original query was from Manchester Victoria station to Leigh, what is the frequency of the rail service from Manchester Victoria to Atherton?

There is another option of rail to Salford Crescent, then the V1 bus direct from there to Leigh bus station.

It's definitely half-hourly but maybe three an hour at some times I think. It's only about 25 mins as well.

Bovverboy

Established Member
Only eleven posts in and people are already asking the same questions again (and getting the same answers).

Status
Not open for further replies.