• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Needing advice on private carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevin5025

I have a couple of suggestions. The first is to by a flexable anytime return. That way, if you get uncomfortable during the journey, you can get off and get on another train. So check you are allowed to break your journey on the out and return portions. While not a private carriage, you might be able to get space in the vestible. I'm not sure about the rolling stock used on your journey (maybe others can help), but lots of DMU's have tip up seats in the vestibule. If you stick to quiet trains, it is unlikely that anyone else will sit there, so you can have the vestible to yourself. People will get on and off at stations, but you should be fine the rest of the time. hope that helps.

SeanG

Established Member
I noticed whilst on a VTEC mk4 that the first class carriage right at the end of the train has a small compartment of around 6 seats that can be shuttered off, presumably for hire.

Clearly this doesn't help in this situation, but it may be possible to sort something like that out?

najaB

Veteran Member
I noticed whilst on a VTEC mk4 that the first class carriage right at the end of the train has a small compartment of around 6 seats that can be shuttered off, presumably for hire.
That's the smoking section, there's a matching section in the standard class quiet coach though I don't know if they were ever actually used as such.

scotsman

Established Member
That's the smoking section, there's a matching section in the standard class quiet coach though I don't know if they were ever actually used as such.

Last time I saw those, they had no doors on them - just the partition walls

Is agoraphobia one of the protected characteristics under the equality act. In any event do reasonable adjustments have to be made? Would this be a reasonable adjustment? I doubt it.

Interesting thought. Would sacrificing potential revenue by making seating unavailable be considered reasonable or not? I could only see something like that working if there was a dedicated member of staff to police it, as how else would you stop other passengers sitting in the vicinity of the person in question?

najaB

Veteran Member
Last time I saw those, they had no doors on them - just the partition walls
No, they don't. However - theoretically at least - it would be possible for the TOC to reserve all the seats for an agoraphobic such as the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.