• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail 57s Where Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baitbook

Ive been down to tonbridge and havnt seen them... so does anyone know where they are?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
At Eastleigh, you can see them either in the yards around the station, or in the works which can be seen from various points along Campbell Road.

SeanG

Established Member
Convinced I saw one shunting today at Doncaster, about 1735

cj_1985

Thanks.

In theory the modified NR 57s are now supposed to be able to haul 'SR EMUs' without translators aren't they? Or is that just Desiros and Electrostars so far?

think they have been cleared to haul class 319s and units with similar couplers...
I know for a fact (as it was reported in the press) that there was a 57 stationed at St Pancras a few months back incase a 319 got stuck in an un-energised section during some sort of infrastructure work/repair or diversion

fireftrm

There were two at Ferme Park on Thursday evening, couldn't see which though, as the ballast wagons were between them and the mainline. Anyone know which?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Thanks.

In theory the modified NR 57s are now supposed to be able to haul 'SR EMUs' without translators aren't they? Or is that just Desiros and Electrostars so far?

Pretty much. Think there are various restrictions on speed/ideal distance on Desiros yet to be resolved, but are earmarked for further work.

Kettledrum

I saw a bright yellow 57 on Friday 13th on the Midland main line heading South towards Leicester in the afternoon. Is this one you're thinking about.

It was hauling ballast wagons.

D365

Veteran Member
In any case I believe the 458/5 works have included the necessary adaptations to allow emergency coupling with Desiros. The 57s must presumably be compatible too, hence why they are the booked traction.

fgwrich

Established Member
Thanks.

I would presume so, as they've also found use on the Selhurst to Eastleigh / Eastleigh to Selhurst Southern 455 Movements, with one being used to haul a EMU there and back after an electrical fault rendered it unable to run on it's own.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They've also been involved in at least one 377/6 delivery, so they're showing their value and getting around a bit.

[youtube]FmpGjZEDAT4[/youtube]

When I went to it for information, Wikipedia suspected that two have tightlock couplers. Which leaves 4 with dellner...?

83G/84D

Established Member
Ive been down to tonbridge and havnt seen them... so does anyone know where they are?

Today they are located as follows:-

57301/3/12 - Eastleigh.
57306 - New Cross (between London Bridge & Ladywell)
57305 - Doncaster.
57310 - Ferme Park.

D6975

Established Member
Today they are located as follows:-

57301/3/12 - Eastleigh.
57306 - New Cross (between London Bridge & Ladywell)
57305 - Doncaster.
57310 - Ferme Park.

They're beginning to move around a bit then, on my last 3 visits to Eastleigh there were 5 of them there each time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are these NR 57s any more reliable than those once operated by ATW & VT in North Wales which appeared beset with problems,The VT Saturday drag & Gerald come to mind.

Bob

They were all previously with Virgin, they've been painted yellow, and height adjustments have been made to the retractable Dellner couplers on four of them, and retractable BSI? couplers fitted to the other two of them.

I don't think any of that will affect their basic reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.