• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail CSAs (Security)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf111

Established Member
I've applied for the above at Edinburgh Waverley and I was wondering if anyone here is employed in such a role and could tell me what it entails above and beyond what NR tell you on their website. For example, how much does the role differ from the "standard" CSA role?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Assuming this was the same job that the Network Rail staff did when I worked for a Toc at a Network Rail managed station then in addition to the normal 'customer service' duties then they were also first aiders, the people you called to get someone chucked off the station, responsible for security inspections, carried out inspections on tenants, carried out inspections on Toc staff, carried out cleaning inspections, signing in contractors/visitors, and so on.

Wall88

I've applied for the above at Edinburgh Waverley and I was wondering if anyone here is employed in such a role and could tell me what it entails above and beyond what NR tell you on their website. For example, how much does the role differ from the "standard" CSA role?

Hi mate im a currently a csa for network rail. What role have you gone for? E.g security, mobility, information? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry mate just read your subject again. Security- i hope your good at walking ;)

cf111

Established Member
Assuming this was the same job that the Network Rail staff did when I worked for a Toc at a Network Rail managed station then in addition to the normal 'customer service' duties then they were also first aiders, the people you called to get someone chucked off the station, responsible for security inspections, carried out inspections on tenants, carried out inspections on Toc staff, carried out cleaning inspections, signing in contractors/visitors, and so on.

Could you tell me what do the inspections on staff consist of?

Hi mate im a currently a csa for network rail. What role have you gone for? E.g security, mobility, information? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry mate just read your subject again. Security- i hope your good at walking ;)

Haha, I don't mind it. Thanks, I will keep your offer in mind. Could you give me any info on what the recruitment event days are like?

Thanks both!

EM2

Established Member
For each shift, you will be given an area to patrol. This may be part of the 'public' station or an area like a delivery yard. You will be responsible for the security of that area, including checking the ID of anyone in non-public areas, making sure that nothing is open that should be closed, and that nothing is closed that should be open and that details of any vehicles are properly recorded.
You will need to remove persons that don't have business in the station, this includes vagrants, beggars, taxi touts, and those refused travel by TOCs.
You may be required to sign in contractors and visitors, as already stated, and give a safety briefing.
You will still be expected to assist customers with directions, train times etc., although for ticketing queries you should direct customers to the relevant TOC.
You may also be given a station tenant to 'look after' and ensure that they are carrying out their security duties to the required standard.
At my station, not all security CSAs are first-aiders, and not all first-aiders are security CSAs!

cf111

Established Member
For each shift, you will be given an area to patrol. This may be part of the 'public' station or an area like a delivery yard. You will be responsible for the security of that area, including checking the ID of anyone in non-public areas, making sure that nothing is open that should be closed, and that nothing is closed that should be open and that details of any vehicles are properly recorded.
You will need to remove persons that don't have business in the station, this includes vagrants, beggars, taxi touts, and those refused travel by TOCs.
You may be required to sign in contractors and visitors, as already stated, and give a safety briefing.
You will still be expected to assist customers with directions, train times etc., although for ticketing queries you should direct customers to the relevant TOC.
You may also be given a station tenant to 'look after' and ensure that they are carrying out their security duties to the required standard.
At my station, not all security CSAs are first-aiders, and not all first-aiders are security CSAs!

Thanks for that, very informative.

Network

my duties include, but are not limited to:

Security Checks
Mobility Assistance
Retail Unit checks
Contractor checks
vehicle checks
fire alarm tests
answering moronic questions from the public
dealing with any emergencies (directing ambulance crews etc)

and about a hundred other things besides

Can honestly say you will NOT be bored. you couldn't imagine a more varied job

cf111

Established Member
my duties include, but are not limited to:

Security Checks
Mobility Assistance
Retail Unit checks
Contractor checks
vehicle checks
fire alarm tests
answering moronic questions from the public
dealing with any emergencies (directing ambulance crews etc)

and about a hundred other things besides

Can honestly say you will NOT be bored. you couldn't imagine a more varied job

Thank you for that. I'm glad to hear I wouldn't be bored!

Status
Not open for further replies.