• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail - Customer Service Assistant (Security)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodge-Slant-6

Does anyone know the inside word is on jobs advertised by Network Rail for 'Customer Service Assistant - Security'?

It sounds like a station job where you help customers find their trains, assist disabled customers boarding, answer customer queries, etc., but what's the 'security' angle to this position?

Also, what awaits me if I received an email from Network Rail saying I've been 'accepted' for a job I applied for, yet the same email gives me no further information regarding whether I've been shortlisted for an interview? Indeed, it says very little. I'm not sure what they mean when they write my application has been 'accepted'. Does it mean only that my application has passed phase 1 of many additional phases to come, or I have been guaranteed a spot for interview?

Thanks.

PS.....Oh, on the whole, what is it like to work for Network Rail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
You're unlikely to be assisting disabled customers, that's normally done by the Information & Mobility team.
Security CSAs, as the name suggests. are responsible for security. You will either be given a patrol to do, or maybe in an static position such as a delivery yard.
The way I describe it is that you're looking for things that are there that shouldn't be, things that should be there that aren't, places that are open that should be shut and places that are shut that should be open. If you come across anything like this, you'd be expected to investigate and inform the Duty Manager or Controller whether the issue is resolved, or if further investigation is required.
I used to enjoy Security patrols, but static positions can get a bit boring.

Dodge-Slant-6

You're unlikely to be assisting disabled customers, that's normally done by the Information & Mobility team.
Security CSAs, as the name suggests. are responsible for security. You will either be given a patrol to do, or maybe in an static position such as a delivery yard.
The way I describe it is that you're looking for things that are there that shouldn't be, things that should be there that aren't, places that are open that should be shut and places that are shut that should be open. If you come across anything like this, you'd be expected to investigate and inform the Duty Manager or Controller whether the issue is resolved, or if further investigation is required.
I used to enjoy Security patrols, but static positions can get a bit boring.

Thank-you for the informative reply, EM2, you answered my questions.

Do you know anything about this Security CSA job currently being advertised for Liverpool Lime Street?

The job sheet says the salary is £17,000 per year, but it doesn't mention if the pay rises at all, or by how much. Do you know if it does?

What hours are the usual shifts for such a position in a busy provincial station like Liverpool Lime Street? Do you know how many weeks holiday are given to new employees?

Is there any advancement with the Security CSA job at Network Rail? By advancement, I mean can the job lead to more challenging positions after a certain amount of time in title? For instance, once in the job for some time, can you bid your way, say, by way of transfer to another department within Network Rail through this Security CSA job or are your options closed?

Do you know which trade union represents Network Rail Security CSA's?

I'm sorry to barrage you with so many questions, but in order for me to consider taking this job, I'd like to know what I would be getting myself into before I consider leaving my present place of employment.

Thanks again, your previous answers were of great help to me.

EM2

Established Member
Lime Street isn't my area I'm afraid, but most of your questions apply to CSA roles anywhere.

Pay will generally increase by whatever percentage is negotiated by the unions. I think that's due to be 2% next year.

Shifts will almost certainly be eight hours, earlies (0700-1500), lates (1500-2300) and nights (2300-0700). They might do twelves, which will be 0700-1900 and 1900-0700. Shift patterns vary, but you can't do more than thirteen shifts consecutively, and you can't start a shift if you booked off less than twelve hours earlier.
Annual leave is 28 days I think, but don't quote me on that :D However, that can also vary depending on your shift pattern, so you may work a few less (or more) hours each week but get a few days holiday less (or more) to compensate.

Progression is certainly possible. A number of my colleagues have done so, into management positions, and also into areas completely different to stations, including signalling.

And the union would be the RMT.

Dodge-Slant-6

Lime Street isn't my area I'm afraid, but most of your questions apply to CSA roles anywhere.

Pay will generally increase by whatever percentage is negotiated by the unions. I think that's due to be 2% next year.

Shifts will almost certainly be eight hours, earlies (0700-1500), lates (1500-2300) and nights (2300-0700). They might do twelves, which will be 0700-1900 and 1900-0700. Shift patterns vary, but you can't do more than thirteen shifts consecutively, and you can't start a shift if you booked off less than twelve hours earlier.
Annual leave is 28 days I think, but don't quote me on that :D However, that can also vary depending on your shift pattern, so you may work a few less (or more) hours each week but get a few days holiday less (or more) to compensate.

Progression is certainly possible. A number of my colleagues have done so, into management positions, and also into areas completely different to stations, including signalling.

And the union would be the RMT.

Thanks EM2, you're a wealth of information! I appreciate your quick reply.

HRD

I did CSA role in couple of London stations and I loved the job but the security role will involve a lot patrols. They don't always tell people that on interview or the advertisement for the post. Patrols are hourly and continuous. There can be a lot of walking involved there will be customer service aspect helping passengers. but actual mobility assistance is not always done by Network Rail in some stations it is done by the TOCs themselves. (Tho this varies amongst the managed NR stations) It can be a fun job and you see different things all the time. It is a good job for a person starting in the railway to get use to things. Also within NR there are always plenty of opportunities for advancement. For instance two of the SSMs (Station Shift Manager) at one of my old stations after a period of secondment in the role now have permanent positions as SSMs. The fact is once you're in a railway job for a particular company it is easier to move around the company if you want to as you will see internal vacancies.

After patrolling for a number of years it isn't back breaking work but I tell you about them just so you can be prepared to walk around as some people are not.

Last edited:

Dodge-Slant-6

One more question, and I'll stop pestering you. Do you know if the shifts security CSA's work are steady or do they work a rotating shift pattern? In other words, would a typical Security CSA work days this week, nights next week and afternoons the following week, etc., or are they assigned to straight days or nights or whatever, and any work done outside their normal shift is overtime while covering for somebody else who took the day off?

EM2

Established Member
It varies from station to station.

At my station, the roster is fixed, so you can see what you're doing for the next sixty-five weeks. The only variation would be if someone goes sick or has annual leave, and you can be asked to change shift with forty-eight hours notice.
However, that won't be paid as overtime unless you work more than your rostered hours.

Some stations operate permanent shifts, so you always do the same one of the three and don't change unless asked.

Dodge-Slant-6

I did CSA role in couple of London stations and I loved the job but the security role will involve a lot patrols. They don't always tell people that on interview or the advertisement for the post. Patrols are hourly and continuous. There can be a lot of walking involved there will be customer service aspect helping passengers. but actual mobility assistance is not always done by Network Rail in some stations it is done by the TOCs themselves. (Tho this varies amongst the managed NR stations) It can be a fun job and you see different things all the time. It is a good job for a person starting in the railway to get use to things. Also within NR there are always plenty of opportunities for advancement. For instance two of the SSMs (Station Shift Manager) at one of my old stations after a period of secondment in the role now have permanent positions as SSMs. The fact is once you're in a railway job for a particular company it is easier to move around the company if you want to as you will see internal vacancies.

After patrolling for a number of years it isn't back breaking work but I tell you about them just so you can be prepared to walk around as some people are not.

I wouldn't mind the walking bit at all, however, I am curious: on an average shift, how many miles do you reckon you walked?

Does Network Rail provide footwear to CSA's as part of their uniform, or do you wear your own black trainers/or shoes?

EM2

Established Member
Footwear is not provided (well, not at my station anyway). Distance will vary from station to station, but the longest patrol at my station is about 800m for four hours, so 3.2km. If you were unlucky enough to be rostered onto a patrol for the second part of the shift (unlikely at our place) you'd probably do 6km or so in total.

Dodge-Slant-6

Footwear is not provided (well, not at my station anyway). Distance will vary from station to station, but the longest patrol at my station is about 800m for four hours, so 3.2km. If you were unlucky enough to be rostered onto a patrol for the second part of the shift (unlikely at our place) you'd probably do 6km or so in total.

Okay, great. That's certainly manageable. Thanks.

HRD

I wouldn't mind the walking bit at all, however, I am curious: on an average shift, how many miles do you reckon you walked?

Does Network Rail provide footwear to CSA's as part of their uniform, or do you wear your own black trainers/or shoes?

You get given uniform everything shoes, trousers, shirts, jackets, fleece, outdoor coat, hats gloves etc. some times it can be a slow process to get uniform so sometimes for the first few days you might wear your own stuff, but you will be provided with full uniform.

I'm not sure how many miles you walked I never calculated tbh . But my friend estimated 6-12 miles depending on the patrol... bearing in mind you will for sure walk over the 10'000 steps they recommend a day regardless of patrol, which works out roughly 5 miles anyway.

It sounds a lot so don't get disheartened but when you actually do the work it is not. you are also not walking straight for 6-12 miles. there will be stops, pauses breaks etc throughout the day

Dodge-Slant-6

You get given uniform everything shoes, trousers, shirts, jackets, fleece, outdoor coat, hats gloves etc. some times it can be a slow process to get uniform so sometimes for the first few days you might wear your own stuff, but you will be provided with full uniform.

I'm not sure how many miles you walked I never calculated tbh . But my friend estimated 6-12 miles depending on the patrol... bearing in mind you will for sure walk over the 10'000 steps they recommend a day regardless of patrol, which works out roughly 5 miles anyway.

It sounds a lot so don't get disheartened but when you actually do the work it is not. you are also not walking straight for 6-12 miles. there will be stops, pauses breaks etc throughout the day

Thanks for the info. Hey, is there a midnight shift (2300-0700) for CSA'a in major city rail stations like Liverpool Lime Street, or is the job strictly day and afternoon shifts when the trains are running?

TomBoyd

Security probably runs through the night in most major metropolitan stations, but I could be wrong

Hi HRD, do you remember the hours in your experience at London stations??? What time could you start the earliest and what time could you close the latest? If the job included night, were they payed with an enhanced pay rate? Thanks mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.