• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail managed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
What about Birmingham International to be added to the list? Off the top of my head LM, VT and XC stop frequently and ATW less so which is much the same as new st (albeit with fewer actual trains). It also serves the airport and the NEC.
Potentially rugby if it still has the massive signals array.

I'd imagine NR manage the linchpins of the rail system, hence the high number in London. If anything serious were to happen they're under central authority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick O. Teen

Hi all,

Just something that has cropped into my mind:

We curreently have 18 Network Rail managed stations in Great Britain (Edinburgh, Glasgow Ctl, Leeds, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime St, Birmingham New St, Gatwick Airport, and various London termini (including Bridge)).

I just want to know:

a) What are the advantages of having Network Rail manage a station?
b) Are there any more stations you feel are worthy of such an 'honour'?

I know cost etc dictates many will never be 'upgraded', but I just want to know your thoughts.

My answers:
a) I don't know;
b) Brighton, Reading, York, Bristol Temple Meads.

Thanks,
Matt

Why Reading? As far as I can tell, it ain't broke, so why fix it?

Clip

Established Member
Is there any need when there's only one TOC serving them?

Waterloo only has one TOC too... I think thats the second or third time you have forgotten this.

As has been said Railtrack cherry picked the ones where they could make the most money from the Retail side of things - not only do tenants pay rent but they also pay a percentage of what they earn to NR - cash in the bag for not a lot of effort..

I cant see any other station apart from the ones they have got where they would make enough to cover the costs of staffing them.

Gareth

Established Member
I can tell you what's not good about NR stations; those annoying announcements made by the automated female voice. She goes on and on and on. Literally a minute doesn't go by at Lime Street without her rabbiting on about not leaving luggage unattended, CCTV being in operation 24 hours a day, blah, blah, blah...

alexdodds

I can tell you what's not good about NR stations; those annoying announcements made by the automated female voice. She goes on and on and on. Literally a minute doesn't go by at Lime Street without her rabbiting on about not leaving luggage unattended, CCTV being in operation 24 hours a day, blah, blah, blah...

Fenchurch Street is now the only NR managed station to have a manual system. Glasgow Central recently got an ATOS system and it works the same as Edinburgh Waverley. Infact when I went into the station reception at GC last week I spoke to the woman that did the recordings and her name is Karen and shes just a customer service assistant and not the station manager

DavyCrocket

Until a year or so ago Gatwick Express operated Gatwick Airport station under contract to Network Rail with the name Gatwick Station Services. Also, at stations such as London Victoria, NR staff have very little interaction with the trains. Then again the TOC staff only seem to perform one role be it; ticket gateline, despatch, ticket office.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Can I ask, what is the point in making Manchester Victoria NR owned? Its served by one TOC, is a decrepit, rotting station that needs a total refurbishment. It needs a serious amount of work on it, the floor, the roof, the ticket office, platforms, its just all horrendous.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Can I ask, what is the point in making Manchester Victoria NR owned? Its served by one TOC, is a decrepit, rotting station that needs a total refurbishment. It needs a serious amount of work on it, the floor, the roof, the ticket office, platforms, its just all horrendous.

All underway now, having something a lot like Man Pics concourse put in and the roof replaced. Will also have more operators using it once Northern Hubs complete.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When the industry was broken up in '94, the 'major' stations were put under (then) Railtracck management as it was felt there were benefits in operating the largest stations in a common way. This ranged from retail and advertising, to the potential for future redevelopment. Even when Railtrack had zones and regions, the major stations were still run from HQ. The main principle was that it would be more efficient to manage a small number of large stations together under Railtrack, than to have a number of TOCs with 99% of their stations being relatively small and 1 or 2 big ones. Similarly, rebranding a big station in every franchise change would be quite an expensive and largely wasteful exercise.

There have been some changes since then - more stations transferred to NR, e.g. Fenchurch Street, some stations took on train dispatch (Gatwick 4 years ago, Birmingham more recently) and management was transferred from HQ to the NR routes. Retail activity is still controlled centrally, and things like cleaning and security contracts although locally controlled are let centrally to gain economies of scale. As an example cleaning companies will often give a loss leading rate so that they can have the prestige of cleaning, say, Paddington - as it is a good thing to have on their contract record when bidding for other business.

When stations are proposed for transfer between NR and TOC (in the post McNulty world you can expect some of this, in both directions) the costs and revenues are fully assessed and money changes hands. In simple terms, if, for example, NXEA wanted to take on Liverpool St, then the net revenue that NR would forego (say £15mpa) would simply be added to the track access charges to the TOC, meaning in cash terms it is a neutral deal.

For this reason many (although not all) TOCs don't particularly want the major stations, as it is a lot of hassle, and often requires them to have a new set of management capabilities for no real gain.

One final thing, is that where NR beats its retail revenue targets, this profit is then reinvested in the rail network. Where TOCs beat their retail revenue targets, the shareholders get a slightly larger payout.

Incidentally, whilst the retail numbers for the managed stations are quite impressive, they are nowhere near as impressive as BAA who do a similar thing. Liverpool St might make £15m pa, but Heathrow makes £1bn pa with half the number of people passing through. Very different markets, but it does show what can be achieved if you keep your punters waiting for 2 hours. No jokes about performance in East Anglia please!

Status
Not open for further replies.