• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail operative !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeydo1

Hi guys , new to the forum,

Sorry if this has been said before , but I'm looking to see if anyone can shed some light or had a similar experience . Anyway I applied to an operative position , application went successful , got invited to shl tests had slight problem completing them and I managed to do them in the end was down to the computer I was using ! Anyway sent an email as a courtesy to say i had problems completing the tests and I have now completed them , they replied back saying yes it's ok there end and I had passed my shl testing . So I left it thinking atlesst I've passed that stage . Today my application status changed to " application unsuccessful " . I had rang them up and told them if I could have any feedback . I am gutted kinda after been told I passed the shl tests !

Anyone had any similar experiences ? I just don't want to apply again for another job if I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

I think the next stage would be a paper sift, so maybe your CV/Cover letter wasn't up to scratch?

Monkeydo1

I don't think my cv was the issue , as I looked and looked it time and time again before I applied Aswell as having others look over it for me as I wanted to make sure I went in with a good cv .

I would of thought paper sift was at the start , where they sift out applications that are not up to scratch ? I could be wrong though ...

TomBoyd

The SHL scores are first, because they're arbitrary. The paper sift is next. What was your cover letter like?

Dan567

I think it goes like this :- CV and SHL tests are passed/ approved by HR, then your CV and test results are given to the hiring manager and they sift through to find the best/most appropriate candidates for the job.

I've had an interview for a Welder/Grinder position which was unsuccessful. I have since applied for other operative roles at the same location and not made it past the sift.

There are alot of factors to take into account. I keep trying but I think my biggest problem is showing evidence of working in a safety critical environment.

TomBoyd

There are alot of factors to take into account. I keep trying but I think my biggest problem is showing evidence of working in a safety critical environment.

They aren't really looking for this necessarily, so long as you're displaying the right skills.

The cover letter should address, broadly, the 8 non technical skills, then highlight 2-4 of them in detail and how you've addressed them in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.