• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail pay award 2022 leavers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bellringer

So those that now left before the pay deal was agreed will be paid?
Well that will be no then. That's discrimination!

bellringer

That’s brilliant mate. Thank you. I left on January 6th
So if you worked alongside another colleague who left during 2022, they would receive 0% "backdated" pay rise for their service.
If you left Jan 2023 onwards you would receive (backdated) 5% increase (Jan-Sep 2022) plus an additional 4% (from Oct 2022).
They should have at least paid all leavers 5% and announced they couldn't pay the additional 4%. (for those who left after Sep 2022).
I don't think NWR are doing themselves any favours here.

Raikkonen7

Hi everyone. I left NR as a signaller last July. Does anyone know if I’ll be entitled to any performance related pay from 2021 and 2022?

bellringer

Hi everyone. I left NR as a signaller last July. Does anyone know if I’ll be entitled to any performance related pay from 2021 and 2022?
If you have not received the Performance Related Pay GPRP, the decision has been made to make a payment to employees who supported Network Rail through their positive attendance throughout days of industrial action. If you were not in positive attendance on any day of industrial action, no payment will be made for the 21/22 and 22/23 scheme years. As this is a discretionary scheme, the decision is final. Due to the volume of queries we are unable to respond to any further questions regarding this decision.

No mention of leavers, as usual.
If you know of anyone who can log in to "My Connect" the terms will be shown there.

Raikkonen7

If you have not received the Performance Related Pay GPRP, the decision has been made to make a payment to employees who supported Network Rail through their positive attendance throughout days of industrial action. If you were not in positive attendance on any day of industrial action, no payment will be made for the 21/22 and 22/23 scheme years. As this is a discretionary scheme, the decision is final. Due to the volume of queries we are unable to respond to any further questions regarding this decision.

No mention of leavers, as usual.
If you know of anyone who can log in to "My Connect" the terms will be shown there.
Cheers for this. I left prior to the industrial action commencing, so the positive attendance shouldn’t really affect me. Then again, I wouldn’t count on getting anything given what’s happened with leavers and the pay award.

bellringer

Cheers for this. I left prior to the industrial action commencing, so the positive attendance shouldn’t really affect me. Then again, I wouldn’t count on getting anything given what’s happened with leavers and the pay award.
Bonus for 21/22 should be paid this Friday. The question is whether eligible leavers will be paid Friday or later or not at all!

• Payment of GPRP for 21/22 will be on 18 August 2023 for HRMS (Oracle) and 1 September 2023 for PSE payroll
  • For colleagues paid via HRMS (Oracle) we expect to pay APRP/GPRP for 22/23 on 15 September 2023

Wayno79

So having left in December 22, I am not entitled to the pay arrears that other leavers are? How did they determine January 1st 23 as a cut off date? Where was this mentioned by Network Rail? as on their own website it stated all leavers would receive the Pay award pro-rata to the date of final employment.

bellringer

So having left in December 22, I am not entitled to the pay arrears that other leavers are? How did they determine January 1st 23 as a cut off date? Where was this mentioned by Network Rail? as on their own website it stated all leavers would receive the Pay award pro-rata to the date of final employment.
For a company that has at its core the principles of communication and a "clear understanding" this is a mess alright.
They have already changed the cut-off date from March 2023 (RMT accepted deal) to 1st Jan 2023.
During 2022 was there a communication which stated anyone who left during 2022 may forfeit their potential pay rise?
They've offered a pay deal (which has been accepted & back dated) but are now unable to pay everyone.
It would be interesting to see how that holds in any employment tribunal.

Wayno79

It will be interesting.

The web-site has always stated all leavers. No cut off date was mentioned. The company have put themselves in a position now where ALL leavers have been divided into separate brackets dependant on their end of service dates.

Has anyone contacted any legal advice recently?

Attachments

• 4172d69f-e1d0-4ead-a7a0-bacbc6459f42.jpeg
    4172d69f-e1d0-4ead-a7a0-bacbc6459f42.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 42

Raikkonen7

An update for any leavers regarding performance related pay and guess what, we’re getting absolutely nothing. Absolutely disgusting by NR.

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpeg
    IMG_4425.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 63

bellringer

An update for any leavers regarding performance related pay and guess what, we’re getting absolutely nothing. Absolutely disgusting by NR.
The millions they must waste on outsourcing and covering shifts by RDW's!
Again, where was the condition that stated during the qualifying year if you left you'd jeopardize any bonus?

Network Rail is due to face criminal action at the High Court in Aberdeen on 7 September (due to the Carmont accident in 2020)

Is this why they are trying to save money by not paying all leavers?

Last edited:

KuruptReader

Can you please quote the article text for others because most of us can’t use the link you gave?
Network Rail has sparked anger among its workforce after refusing to pay bonuses to employees who went on strike in a months-long dispute with the management of the state-owned rail network operator.

The decision is expected to affect up to 20,000 members of the RMT union, who staged a series of walkouts over an eight-month period in a stand-off over pay and plans for reform.

The dispute ended in March when RMT members voted to accept a 9 per cent pay rise, with more for lower paid staff, tied to major reforms of working practices.

But in a move that is expected to damage relations with the workforce, RMT general secretary Mick Lynch told his members in a recent message that Network Rail management had refused to pay an annual performance-related bonus to anyone who took part in the strikes.

“The decision to exclude trade unionists from this bonus scheme is disgraceful and is understandably causing significant consternation among members,” Lynch wrote in an email seen by the Financial Times.

The bonus is expected to be worth around £300 this year because the company’s performance was affected by the strikes. In previous years, workers have had payouts of around £1,000.

Network Rail confirmed the decision and said it had warned employees they would not receive a bonus if they went on strike. The policy is also included in the conditions of the bonus scheme, it added.

“Our position was made very clear — any discretionary payments would focus on those who continued to support rail services during industrial action,” Network Rail said.

David Hopper, a partner in the employment team at law firm Lewis Silkin, said the state body’s stance went “against current market practice,” adding: “Except for not paying them for strike days, employers risk human rights claims if they treat employees who went on strike worse than their colleagues.”

Eddie Dempsey, the RMT’s assistant general secretary, said the decision not to pay bonuses was ill-judged as it had soured relations just before the start of a new round of talks over 2024 pay.

An online petition for Network Rail workers to be paid “their rightful bonus” had received 12,000 signatures on Organise, an online platform that allows workers to co-ordinate collective action, as of the end of last week.

Roxana Khan-Williams, head of campaigns at Organise, said the decision not to pay bonuses appeared to be “a clear move to deter workers from their right to strike.”

She added: “It is our collective hope that Network Rail will rectify the situation by granting bonuses to all workers without discrimination.”

The RMT remains locked in a protracted dispute with train companies and caused widespread disruption when it staged strikes at 14 operators on Saturday. A further one-day strike is planned for Saturday September 2.

bellringer

"employers risk human rights claims if they treat employees who went on strike worse than their colleagues."
The principle would also apply to backpay then. (when no condition was in place that affected leavers during 2022)

“Our position was made very clear — any discretionary payments would focus on those who continued to support rail services during industrial action,” Network Rail said. Well that's not true!

Badge3226

If you was on HMS payroll you’ll get it Friday if you were on PSE then you’ll get it on the 27th

Is this official or a rumour mate? I’ve not had any letters etc?

Not sure what HMS/PSE are mate? I was a signaller, left after 6 years in Feb this year

Malc77

Not sure what HMS/PSE are mate? I was a signaller, left after 6 years in Feb this year
Has anyone due for layment received an epay slip or letter today ?

Malc77

I had confirmation of this through ACAS signallers are HMS

LAX54

Established Member
Network Rail has sparked anger among its workforce after refusing to pay bonuses to employees who went on strike in a months-long dispute with the management of the state-owned rail network operator.

The decision is expected to affect up to 20,000 members of the RMT union, who staged a series of walkouts over an eight-month period in a stand-off over pay and plans for reform.

The dispute ended in March when RMT members voted to accept a 9 per cent pay rise, with more for lower paid staff, tied to major reforms of working practices.

But in a move that is expected to damage relations with the workforce, RMT general secretary Mick Lynch told his members in a recent message that Network Rail management had refused to pay an annual performance-related bonus to anyone who took part in the strikes.

“The decision to exclude trade unionists from this bonus scheme is disgraceful and is understandably causing significant consternation among members,” Lynch wrote in an email seen by the Financial Times.

The bonus is expected to be worth around £300 this year because the company’s performance was affected by the strikes. In previous years, workers have had payouts of around £1,000.

Network Rail confirmed the decision and said it had warned employees they would not receive a bonus if they went on strike. The policy is also included in the conditions of the bonus scheme, it added.

“Our position was made very clear — any discretionary payments would focus on those who continued to support rail services during industrial action,” Network Rail said.

David Hopper, a partner in the employment team at law firm Lewis Silkin, said the state body’s stance went “against current market practice,” adding: “Except for not paying them for strike days, employers risk human rights claims if they treat employees who went on strike worse than their colleagues.”

Eddie Dempsey, the RMT’s assistant general secretary, said the decision not to pay bonuses was ill-judged as it had soured relations just before the start of a new round of talks over 2024 pay.

An online petition for Network Rail workers to be paid “their rightful bonus” had received 12,000 signatures on Organise, an online platform that allows workers to co-ordinate collective action, as of the end of last week.

Roxana Khan-Williams, head of campaigns at Organise, said the decision not to pay bonuses appeared to be “a clear move to deter workers from their right to strike.”

She added: “It is our collective hope that Network Rail will rectify the situation by granting bonuses to all workers without discrimination.”

The RMT remains locked in a protracted dispute with train companies and caused widespread disruption when it staged strikes at 14 operators on Saturday. A further one-day strike is planned for Saturday September 2.
Although since day 1 of the 'Bonus' a good few years ago now, I am sure it always said, if you take Industrial Acation you will or may not get the 'Bonus' like if you are long term sick, you will only get part of it. The Bonus is not part of your Contract, NR can in reality do whatever they wish. However not sure any Company would pay staff a bonus if they went on strike !