• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail test train staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.o.R

On a typical run, how many people are there on one of these trains (e.g. the pair of 37s and four yellow coaches that just chugged noisily through Portsmouth & Southsea on 186I)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
On a typical run, how many people are there on one of these trains (e.g. the pair of 37s and four yellow coaches that just chugged noisily through Portsmouth & Southsea on 186I)?
What is 186I? Makes no sense.

rebmcr

Established Member
What is 186I? Makes no sense.

It's a scrambled headcode, for maintaining commercial secrecy of some routes. They appear on FOC-operated trains in the NR datafeed, as used by Realtime Trains, Open Train Times, Traksy, etc.

Muenchener

Not a fan of heritage diesel traction? They usually trundle past mine at approx 02:00 and again around 03:30 going back North. Even better when it gets checked at the signal going North. Surprisingly; you can see the clag, even on a dark night, when it gets the road again...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not a fan of heritage diesel traction? They usually trundle past mine at approx 02:00 and again around 03:30 going back North. Even better when it gets checked at the signal going North. Surprisingly; you can see the clag, even on a dark night, when it gets the road again...
I love it. We’ve been sleeping in our cabin in the garden recently and a couple of weeks ago I heard one of these with a 37 on turn left at Cowley Bridge Junction and head up to Barnstaple at about 10:30 pm.
I woke up at about 1:30 am to hear it joining the mainline and opening up at full throttle. I swear I could hear it thundering away in the still night for about fifteen minutes! Glorious...

The next day I was painting a house next to the railway near Lapford and I asked my (very) Welsh customer if he’d heard a noisy train in the night and he said (in his wonderful South Wales accent) “Yes I did. I thought itwas bloody avalanche at first!” :lol:

Re the original question though - I’ve often wondered too, some of the trains seem to have more staff on than others and can vary in length. I remember looking through the windows of one of the trains once and there seemed to be lots of people looking at computers inside...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Re the original question though - I’ve often wondered too, some of the trains seem to have more staff on than others and can vary in length. I remember looking through the windows of one of the trains once and there seemed to be lots of people looking at computers inside...

they sometimes run combined so you may get two types running together. You may get, say, the ultrasonic test train and the gauging train run as one train to save paths and kill two birds with one stone.

Imagine the sadness when the 950 unit shows up rather than 37 ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
they sometimes run combined so you may get two types running together. You may get, say, the ultrasonic test train and the gauging train run as one train to save paths and kill two birds with one stone.
Ah right, thanks for that. I wonder which stock the staff prefer to work on? Or is it a case of them sticking to the same vehicle each time maybe?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Ah right, thanks for that. I wonder which stock the staff prefer to work on? Or is it a case of them sticking to the same vehicle each time maybe?

There are some preferences because each train has slightly different welfare facilities. The MPV for example has no toilet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are some preferences because each train has slightly different welfare facilities. The MPV for example has no toilet.
Would the NMT be rather a good place to work (apart from the hours)?
I must admit that it looks like a very interesting job to be involved in.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
Imagine the sadness when the 950 unit shows up rather than 37 ;)

Well I had enough fun seeing that today :D

or90t46qDPl0rHN3ll8jlf5RXOOcElpJudU79fxiAu1WsqouPn1GZ64jxgLEiMPJIwY6TW76p9W7_pfERVQE1L7pGA2-JHORJ-18kpB1nNRvqPUnWLmwusMMslw3nAaes6wLebCxtolYMHYU4wi-Bdgtnkvp64tiz36a2OcUtVFoF6gXtFY3AaCzt53s5wA1JovcvbP5pANi1jeAe9-6yZtSOScdCdnYi3KG3JwftSph6V1ICOtrKfcC3KvfB11YlgqAwtwvldXN2ZGDFb1PZZlvm7H3VW29K5FJhDqprWLIEb02ukangKrxBPNQH2zUOPulSfAWWxoVRPQXJ9askclHNknAQlWlPXSAbgU0qmKnPwS9-vtQ6Xjh3MHGVn-yQv_EWpOUHQsudQuyUzBW00-fmtL1At9poPsjZ6B371mOaHBvR5j0dwLqppt0cyq7tfrWFm6xhmbcYQRkYVsfiGpPVTwIRUNKdx-mR2XrURtBoVYRttzGQ9aNXKQL4J3_mQpVoE9dcrvBZ0njorcYy8UJjViXdZ-7FxYUNZ8Bt_jWZ1FNfXKNl8efZWVcSlIUZpEPxREWwh-l6Hsxb9peRKgTekxlQDL1e2ZLSue0HUbTOOcUVDcbaOxvGqZIKLu9=w1258-h944-no

Townsend Hook

The NMT has a basic requirement of three on train technicians (OTTs), although this is to soon be reduced to two. The PLPR trains and Track Recording Unit require two. If MENTOR is recording with the PLPR1 set it will have an additional OTT. The UTU (ultrasonic) trains will have one NR OTT, plus staff from Sperry Rail. On occasions trains will be over-rostered, with, say, three OTTs where only two are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.