• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Railcard 10am

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_jrt

Established Member
More of a curiosity than anything else. I'm currently heading to London on an off-peak Thameslink service for a day out. I can use an off-peak ticket as my train reaches London Bridge at 9:45, despite starting much earlier.

However, despite being shown I could use my network railcard discount on Thameslink's journey planner for this specific service, the ticket machine and ticket office staff were adamant it would not be valid as you can't start before 10am. This is what I would have expected, but was surprised by the journey planner offering it to me.

Has buying my ticket in person saved me an accidental penalty fare? I'm presuming the barriers at my origin would have kept me out, so maybe it's just made sure I'm on time.

...why on earth do they have the silly 10am restriction? Surely you just limit the validity to offpeak tickets (or restrict it from anytime tickets)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Using 10am is a fairly standard Railcard thing. You can't prevent its use on Anytime tickets because some routes don't have Off Peaks. That said it is possible to implement "Off Peak time or 1000 if there isn't one" (actually 0930) as that's how the Family and Friends works in the South East and the planners do do it!

There are some easements for trains before 1000 on infrequent or awkwardly timed routes but none for Thameslink, as below. Some of these appear to be out of date e.g. there's no 0947 from MKC.

What is the exact journey?

Origin Station​

Departure Time​

Service​

Easements apply:​

Aldermaston09:38Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations

Althorne (Essex)
09:45Greater Anglia service to Wickford To all destinations

Ascott-U-Wych
09:36Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Ashurst New Forest09:42
South Western Railway service to Winchester
To all destinations
Audley End09.40Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations

Banbury
09:39Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Battle09:42Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Beaulieu Road09:38
To all destinations

Bedhampton
09:37
South Western Railway service to London Waterloo
To all destinations
Bewdyn08:49Great Western Railway service to NewburyTo all destinations

Bishops Stortford
09.58Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations
Brading09:25Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
Branksome09:48
To all destinations
Broadstairs09:59Southeastern service to London St Pancras InternationalTo all destinations
Bures09:34Greater Anglia service to Marks TeyTo all destinations
Burnham-on-Crouch09:40Greater Anglia service to WickfordTo all destinations

Cambridge
09.11Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations
Cambridge North09.20Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations
Chappel & Wakes Colne09:40Greater Anglia service to Marks TeyTo all destinations
Charlbury09:41Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Cranbrook08:37South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Cranbrook09:39South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Dorchester South09:33South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Dovercourt09:30Greater Anglia service to ManningtreeTo all destinations
Downham Market09:58Great Northern service to London Kings CrossTo all destinations
Elsenham09:49Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
Evesham09:35Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Exeter Central08:28South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Exeter Central09:30South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Exeter St Davids08:23South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Exeter St Davids09:25South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Feniton08:47South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Great Chesterford09:34Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
Hanborough09:48Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Harwich International09:33Greater Anglia service to ManningtreeTo all destinations
Harwich Town09:28Greater Anglia service to ManningtreeTo all destinations
Hastings09:29Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Hastings09:50Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Heyford09:53Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations

Hilsea

09:32

To all destinations
Holton Heath09:56South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Honeybourne09:11Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Honiton09:55South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Hungerford08:55Great Western Railway service to NewburyTo all destinations
Hungerford09:44Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Kelvedon09:52Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
Kingham09:31Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Kings Lynn09:44Great Northern service to London Kings CrossTo all destinations
Kings Sutton09:45Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Kintbury09:00Great Western Railway service to NewburyTo all destinations
Kintbury09:49Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Lake09:17Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
London Liverpool Street09:48Greater Anglia service to BraintreeTo all destinations
London Liverpool Street09:58Greater Anglia service to CambridgeTo all destinations
Lymington Pier09:44South Western Railway service to BrockenhurstTo all destinations
Lymington Town09:46South Western Railway service to BrockenhurstTo all destinations
Margate09:53Southeastern service to London St Pancras InternationalTo all destinations
Marks Tey09:56Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
Midgham09:35Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations
Milton Keynes Central09:47London Northwestern Railway service to London EustonTo all destinations
Mistley09:45Greater Anglia service to ManningtreeTo all destinations
Moreton (Dorset)09:39South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Moreton-in-Marsh09:23Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Newbury09:20Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Newbury09:25Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations
Newbury09:56Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Newbury Racecourse09:27Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations
Newport (Essex)09:43Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
North Fambridge09:51Greater Anglia service to WickfordTo all destinations
Parkstone09:45
To all destinations
Pershore08:47Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Pinhoe08:33South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Pinhoe09:34South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Reading09:44Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Reading West09:50Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations

Rowlands Castle
09:45
To all destinations
Ryde Esplanade09:37Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
Ryde St John’s Road09:33Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
Sandown09:20Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
Shanklin09:15Island Line service to Ryde Pier HeadTo all destinations
Salisbury09:47
South Western Railway service to Exeter St Davids
To all destinations
Shelford09:23Greater Anglia service to London Liverpool Street.To all destinations
South Woodham Ferrers09:56Greater Anglia service to WickfordTo all destinations
Southminster09:36Greater Anglia service to WickfordTo all destinations
St Leonards Warrior Square09:32Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
St Leonards Warrior Square09:53Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations

Stansted Mountfitchet
09.53Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations
Stratford09:55Greater Anglia service to BraintreeTo all destinations
Sturry09:58Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Sudbury (Suffolk)09:27Greater Anglia service to Marks TeyTo all destinations
Tackley09:58Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Thatcham09:25Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Thatcham09:31Great Western Railway service to NewburyTo all destinations
Theale09:32Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Theale09:44Great Western Railway service to ReadingTo all destinations

Totton
09:47
To all destinations
Upwey09:24South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Wadhurst09:58Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Wareham09:53South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Watlington09:51Great Northern service to London Kings CrossTo all destinations
West St Leonards09:57Southeastern service to London Charing CrossTo all destinations
Weymouth09:20South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Whimple08:42South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Whimple09:44South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations

Whittlesford Parkway
09.30Greater Anglia service to Shelford CambsTo all destinations
Wool09:45South Western Railway service to London WaterlooTo all destinations
Worcester Foregate Street08:26Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Worcester Shrub Hill08:38Great Western Railway service to London PaddingtonTo all destinations
Wrabness09:39Greater Anglia service to ManningtreeTo all destinations

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
More of a curiosity than anything else. I'm currently heading to London on an off-peak Thameslink service for a day out. I can use an off-peak ticket as my train reaches London Bridge at 9:45, despite starting much earlier.

However, despite being shown I could use my network railcard discount on Thameslink's journey planner for this specific service, the ticket machine and ticket office staff were adamant it would not be valid as you can't start before 10am. This is what I would have expected, but was surprised by the journey planner offering it to me.

Has buying my ticket in person saved me an accidental penalty fare? I'm presuming the barriers at my origin would have kept me out, so maybe it's just made sure I'm on time.

...why on earth do they have the silly 10am restriction? Surely you just limit the validity to offpeak tickets (or restrict it from anytime tickets)?
We would need to know the journey in question to understand exactly what is happening. But the basic principle is that, if a journey planner offers you a particular ticket in conjunction with a particular itinerary - the ticket is contractually valid in accordance with the itinerary and you could not lawfully have been issued with a Penalty Fare or otherwise penalised.

Indeed, even if you did use a Network Railcard discounted ticket before 10am in a way that wasn't permitted, this would not be grounds for a Penalty Fare being issued - you would simply have to pay the excess to the undiscounted public fare.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, even if you did use a Network Railcard discounted ticket before 10am in a way that wasn't permitted, this would not be grounds for a Penalty Fare being issued - you would simply have to pay the excess to the undiscounted public fare.

That's your interpretation. It is very likely that a PF would be issued (or even an MG11) and it would be necessary to put huge effort into getting it rescinded. I do not recommend people try this unless they're a member of the RUK "legal action is fun" club.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's your interpretation. It is very likely that a PF would be issued (or even an MG11) and it would be necessary to put huge effort into getting it rescinded. I do not recommend people try this unless they're a member of the RUK "legal action is fun" club.
We've had this discussion before; suffice it to say that, if this happened, you would be perfectly entitled to bring an appeal and once this happens, even if the appeal is denied, the TOC's only recourse is to try and bring a civil claim to the value of the PF. Which no TOC appears to be interested in doing.

mr_jrt

Established Member
8:37 Brighton to Cambridge, off-peak Brighton to Z1-6. Ahem, I have a screenie, but seems my morning maths failed me. It's offering £20.40, which isn't a third off the normal £27, so no idea how it came to that price

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
8:37 Brighton to Cambridge, off-peak Brighton to Z1-6. Ahem, I have a screenie, but seems my morning maths failed me. It's offering £20.40, which isn't a third off the normal £27, so no idea how it came to that price

If I try it for tomorrow it correctly shows £27 (then £17.80 after 10am). Strange. Perhaps just a glitch.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suspect you've searched to one of the Thameslink core stations and haven't checked what ticket it's suggesting.

The £20.40 price is a public rate Off-Peak Day Return to London Thameslink, route not Underground. If you want a Travelcard it'll cost you an extra £6.60 at that time.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Ah yes, can see on the right of the screenie it's London Thameslink. NRE's booking engine crashed in the handoff so I had to redo it on Thameslink's direct, probably picked the wrong thing trying to find the travelcard options

Thanks all! Still think that 10am restriction is silly, though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Still think that 10am restriction is silly, though.
Why? The Network Railcard was introduced as a means of encouraging off peak travel, which midweek would necessarily be after the morning peak, wasn't it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why? The Network Railcard was introduced as a means of encouraging off peak travel, which midweek would necessarily be after the morning peak, wasn't it?

The argument was for it to apply from when Off Peak tickets do. Though you could argue it actually provides a third level, with "off peak" being shoulder peak and "off peak plus NSE" being actual off peak.

mr_jrt

Established Member
The main thing is that you could end up on the exact same train, arriving at the same destination at the same time, and your validity is based upon where you started, if you started along the route after ten, you're ok, before, and you're not. Restricting peak travel is the whole point of having offpeak tickets in the first place.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The short version is that the "fixed" 10am restriction (easements notwithstanding!) and introduction of the £13 minimum fare are the only reason the Network Railcard continues to exist. Had South West Trains (as was) had their way, it would have been withdrawn years ago.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The short version is that the "fixed" 10am restriction (easements notwithstanding!) and introduction of the £13 minimum fare are the only reason the Network Railcard continues to exist. Had South West Trains (as was) had their way, it would have been withdrawn years ago.

I thought it was actually Chiltern who wanted rid. But yes, I believe the £13 minimum saved it.

Graham H

The main thing is that you could end up on the exact same train, arriving at the same destination at the same time, and your validity is based upon where you started, if you started along the route after ten, you're ok, before, and you're not. Restricting peak travel is the whole point of having offpeak tickets in the first place.
Thats right. My local station has an 09:58 departure to London, no easements so card invalid. Three minutes later the train stops at the next station so the card is valid. When I was a lot younger I thought off peak in BR days was often decided on by the trains arrival time especially for London bound trains so an off peak to London from Didcot was available earlier than one to Reading for example. In my case the train doesnt get to London until 11:44 so is hardly peak commuting time. On RTT today the train was 3 mins late so technically I could have got on as I believe the card becomes valid at a specific time regardless of the trains timetable ? Of course I only used London as an example here but I can understand a blanket 10am validity makes simple sense.

miklcct

On Moderation
I thought it was actually Chiltern who wanted rid. But yes, I believe the £13 minimum saved it.
The £13 minimum makes the Network Railcard effectively a weekend-only railcard, as most short-haul off-peak fares in the London and South East are less than £13.

JBuchananGB

It is a bit odd. My example on Greater Anglia would be Billericay to Liverpool Street
Before 9.30am Anytime Day Return £26.50
From 9.30am Off-Peak Day Return (Network railcard not valid) £20.10
From 10am Off-Peak Day Return (Network Card valid) £13.25
After 11.30am there is the Super Off-Peak Day Return, with Network railcard £13.00. Presumably it has hit the minimum fare as the undiscounted equivalent is £16.60. If using a Senior Railcard it would be £10.95.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The £13 minimum makes the Network Railcard effectively a weekend-only railcard, as most short-haul off-peak fares in the London and South East are less than £13.
I'm afraid you're wrong on this.

Many short hauil journeys like Stevenage to London, Reading to London and Milton Keynes to London are well worthwhile with a Network Railcard. Before you say these are not short haul consider that the journeys are faster than many within London. The Network Railcard offers a valuable discount on weekdays for these sort of journeys.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Really? You’ll get your money back from places such as Winchester once you’ve made 2 return journeys. With the Network Card area extending so far out there’s significant numbers who can make good use of one. Perhaps they’re the weekday market RDG are looking at?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm afraid you're wrong on this.

Many short hauil journeys like Stevenage to London, Reading to London and Milton Keynes to London are well worthwhile with a Network Railcard. Before you say these are not short haul consider that the journeys are faster than many within London. The Network Railcard offers a valuable discount on weekdays for these sort of journeys.
I guess it's fair to say that the Network Railcard is of little use if you predominantly make journeys within the Zones on weekdays. But there is always the possibility of buying a cheap annual season that qualifies for a Gold Card (e.g. Hatton to Lapworth), and this can also be added to an Oyster.

Titfield

Established Member
Well what I do when I go to London from the South Coast is buy an advance (no network card discount) as I travel before 10 am and then buy an offpeak single with network railcard discount for the journey home. I need flexibility for the homeward journey but not the outward.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
But there is always the possibility of buying a cheap annual season that qualifies for a Gold Card (e.g. Hatton to Lapworth), and this can also be added to an Oyster.
How much would that cost compared with the £30 outlay needed for a Network Railcard?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How much would that cost compared with the £30 outlay needed for a Network Railcard?
£184 a year at current prices. So clearly, a lot more than the cost of a Network Railcard - but if you're aged between 30-59 and frequently make weekday journeys where the fare is less than £13 (or would be with a third off), it may still be worthwhile.

It's also worth noting that Annual Gold Card discounted tickets can be used from 09:30.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've got a Hatton to Lapworth Gold Card. Other benefits in addition to no minimum fare:

- Discounted tickets available from 09:30 rather than 10:00 on weekdays
- You can add the discount to a PAYG Oyster card and obtain a discount on off peak PAYG fares and benefit from a discounted off peak daily cap
- The Gold Card area is larger than the Network Railcard area
- You can purchase a railcard for a friend or relative for £10
- Discount available on 1st class tickets

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It is a bit odd. My example on Greater Anglia would be Billericay to Liverpool Street
Before 9.30am Anytime Day Return £26.50
From 9.30am Off-Peak Day Return (Network railcard not valid) £20.10
From 10am Off-Peak Day Return (Network Card valid) £13.25
After 11.30am there is the Super Off-Peak Day Return, with Network railcard £13.00. Presumably it has hit the minimum fare as the undiscounted equivalent is £16.60. If using a Senior Railcard it would be £10.95.
By having multiple steps it segregates the market. One of the reasons why the restriction is 10am is to move some of the crowd who would otherwise take the first off peak service, spreading the loadings.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Or for yourself!
Should've remembered that one as I purchased a £10 Two Together Railcard on which I am one of the named cardholders!

Before anyone says "but why" it's worth doing it if you travel often on Avanti or LNER, because the Gold Card has no validity on either of those at all.
It is rather frustrating and silly that Avanti and LNER don't accept Gold Card discounted tickets between London and Milton Keynes and London and Stevenage.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Before anyone says "but why" it's worth doing it if you travel often on Avanti or LNER, because the Gold Card has no validity on either of those at all.
Or if you want a Two Together or Family Railcard to travel outside the Gold Card area. Or you have a partner who holds a Disabled Railcard but you haven't got anything for travelling alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.