• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail's "Orange Army" nickname to be renamed "Team Orange"

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
As far as I am aware there is no marketing material to withdraw or redesign.

I think you're correct on this point. I thought it had featured on the 'I'm working for you' posters you see all over the place, but a look on Google Images doesn't support this. The only posters I can see with the 'Orange Army' reference in print date from the Dawlish repairs. I've just seemingly been conditioned by Network Rail's PR/Twitter to expect '#OrangeArmy' references everywhere. :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think you're correct on this point. I thought it had featured on the 'I'm working for you' posters you see all over the place, but a look on Google Images doesn't support this. The only posters I can see with the 'Orange Army' reference in print date from the Dawlish repairs. I've just seemingly been conditioned by Network Rail's PR/Twitter to expect '#OrangeArmy' references everywhere. :oops:

I agree it was pushed out in the various PR avenues available to a big company

Spartacus

Established Member
Just as well Network Rail don't operate in Northern Ireland. ;)

Yep, ever since it was dreamt up I've always thought it conjured up sectarian images, worse than any imagined sexual bias (the only serving soldier I know is female).

acned

Honestly, you think there were loads of women working on the railways in Peter Parker's day? The national percentage of women train drivers is around 2-3% when the population is roughly 50/50.
Lots of women worked on the railways in Sir Peter's day. My cousin for one, not many as drivers but station staff, crossing keepers, back office admin, sleeper attendants, travel centres, Travellers Fare catering, wages clerks, secretarys. Not many shovelling ballast back then, admittedly.

alxndr

Established Member
If it's in the daily mail, it must be true?

Network Rail is switching to using "Team Orange" rather than "Orange Army" as it's nickname. It wasn't explicitly done to try to get more women into the country, but they were looking for a name that was less military and was inclusive which does imply that they thought the previous one wasn't.

So while the Mail was perhaps exaggerating a bit they weren't entirely untruthful in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.