• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail's Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy published

Status
Not open for further replies.

jw

Network Rail have published their Interim Programme Business Case for the Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy.

At a national scale, of the 15,400 STKs of unelectrified railway, the following volumes of battery, electrification and hydrogen are proposed for deployment:
• c. 11,700 STKs of electrification is required for long-distance high-speed passenger and freight services;
• hydrogen train deployment over c. 900 STKs of infrastructure;
• battery train deployment over c. 400 STKs of infrastructure; and
• there are 2,400 STKs where a single technology is not immediately clear.

Of this 2,400 STKs, further analysis suggests the deployment of:
• a further c. 1,340 STKs of electrification;
• hydrogen train deployment over c. 400 STKs of infrastructure;
• battery train deployment over c. 400 STKs of infrastructure; and
• there remains 260 STKs where a technology choice is yet to be made.

There are maps included which detail the various proposals.

Ehi12H_XkAA7oH-

An ambitious, but naturally expensive and lengthy programme. Let's hope there's some positive movement on this in the 'build back better'/'levelling up' environment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
So it looks good for intermodal freight, certainly.
F2N, the MML, the GNGE, and the Electric Spine are to be implemented in full, along with the Poplar Chord (GWML - everywhere else), London Gateway, Nuneaton - Lawley St - Camp Hill...

Perhaps the biggest surprise I've seen is the wiring of the Leicester - Coalville - Burton route!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’ve got a feeling I’ve seen this map before, has part of it been leaked somewhere? Particular the main conclusion about how such a very high proportion needs conventional wiring, rather than battery or whatever ...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I’ve got a feeling I’ve seen this map before, has part of it been leaked somewhere? Particular the main conclusion about how such a very high proportion needs conventional wiring, rather than battery or whatever ...

There was the proposal put forward by that guy (name escapes me) from an industry group / study association a couple of months ago which looks very, very similar to this. Was a thread on it somewhere.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There was the proposal put forward by that guy (name escapes me) from an industry group / study association a couple of months ago which looks very, very similar to this. Was a thread on it somewhere.
Found it - David Shirres? An article in Jul Modern Railways. With a very similar map included.

Mikey C

Established Member
Further East the network within Sussex and Kent is slightly different. Providing a 25kV
overhead line system on small sections between third rail infrastructure does not
make operational sense. A piece of strategic work is currently underway between
Network Rail, RSSB and the ORR to establish the feasibility of providing a modern-day
conductor rail system for these areas. This will report in late 2021. If this work
identifies the inability to deploy further third rail electrification it is likely that battery
operation would be required to achieve a zero-carbon solution.

So 3rd rail extensions not ruled out totally

DorkingMain

There are definitely some locations where third-rail extension would make perfect sense. Ore to Ashford is an obvious one, Uckfield, Salisbury to Basingstoke, and the Fawley branch (if and when that happens).

crablab

Section between Southampton and Basingstoke is indicated as such on the map.

Problem is, as NR allude to, the ORR don't want any new third rail installations, but it would take decades to transfer over to 25kV and that money could be better spent in the first instance getting up to 3rd rail standard on unelectrified lines.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Section between Southampton and Basingstoke is indicated as such on the map.

Problem is, as NR allude to, the ORR don't want any new third rail installations, but it would take decades to transfer over to 25kV and that money could be better spent in the first instance getting up to 3rd rail standard on unelectrified lines.
Southampton to Basingstoke third rail exists already though? I thought the dotted line implied something else, which from the text is either to use bimode freight locos or convert to 25 kV?

Last edited:

Legolash2o

It's interesting how they have decided to have a mix of Hydrogen and Battery.

Dont shout at me - I just printed all 251 pages off. Started reading already. Looks good.
Sometimes it's easier and better to read off paper instead of a screen.

DorkingMain

Southampton to Basingstoke third rail exists already though? I thought the dotted line implied something else, such as strengthening for freight capacity?

If I remember correctly, part of the Electric Spine project was an aspiration for converting Basingstoke - Southampton to OHLE, so services could run on the electric down from Reading to Basingstoke on OHLE and then onto Southampton via the SWML.

Would require new or modified stock at SWR though.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I remember correctly, part of the Electric Spine project was an aspiration for converting Basingstoke - Southampton to OHLE, so services could run on the electric down from Reading to Basingstoke on OHLE and then onto Southampton via the SWML.
Indeed and that’s what the text does mention, so I’ve amended my post.

Legolash2o

Southampton to Basingstoke third rail exists already though? I thought the dotted line implied something else, which from the text is either to use bimode freight locos or convert to 25 kV?

London to Southampton is current DC 3rd rail.

It's interesting on the map in the 1st post that Market Harborough is class as electrified.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
London to Southampton is current DC 3rd rail.

It's interesting on the map in the 1st post that Market Harborough is class as electrified.

No, MH is "Baseline", i.e. already committed so can be taken to have happened.

hwl

Established Member
It's interesting how they have decided to have a mix of Hydrogen and Battery.

Sometimes it's easier and better to read off paper instead of a screen.
Hydrogen is where range is too great for battery or the charging time available is too short so lots more battery units would be needed for charging (e.g. North / East Norfolk / Suffolk branches. )
The aim seems to be for battery if there are only single / short branches locally, hydrogen economics is seen as needing a minimum number of units in an area to be viable.

Legolash2o

Hydrogen is where range is too great for battery or the charging time available is too short so lots more battery units would be needed for charging (e.g. North / East Norfolk / Suffolk branches. )
The aim seems to be for battery if there are only single / short branches locally, hydrogen economics is seen as needing a minimum number of units in an area to be viable.
Thanks for clarifying.

So it looks good for intermodal freight, certainly.
F2N, the MML, the GNGE, and the Electric Spine are to be implemented in full, along with the Poplar Chord (GWML - everywhere else), London Gateway, Nuneaton - Lawley St - Camp Hill...

Perhaps the biggest surprise I've seen is the wiring of the Leicester - Coalville - Burton route!
Yes that surprised me, if I’ve read the map properly it’s also suggests wiring Nottingham - Skegness which was a surprise also.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's a comprehensively updated version of the 2009 Electrification RUS.
As far as I can see there is no attempt to prioritise schemes, although there are some hints in the notes.
But it's a huge step forward from where we were, and is addressed squarely at today's economic challenges and opportunities.
I'm impressed.

The capital cost of an STKM is shown in the range £1m-2.5m, and the grand total investment for the plan appears to be £36-47 billion.
Until we hear something from DfT, it has no "delivery" status, of course

DorkingMain

I believe blended bio diesel has been used in the UK for 15 years.

It doesn't take a huge deal of modification to make conventional Diesel engines run on a much higher blend either. One of my former colleagues on the buses was involved with doing that.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The capital cost of an STKM is shown in the range £1m-2.5m, and the grand total investment for the plan appears to be £36-47 billion.
Until we hear something from DfT, it has no "delivery" status, of course

So let us round up to 60 Billion quid (I know it is easy to spend other peoples money) over 30 years that is 2 billion a year - so not nearly as bad as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.