• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Networkers stored at Beckenham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
A friend who lives in Beckenham has informed me that an eight - or possibly ten - car Networker (class 465/466) formation has been stabled in the Down Siding, adjacent to the Beckenham Junction - New Beckenham Curve for several days now. He has been unable to get the unit numbers so far, but is hoping to find out on a walk later in the weekend. Does anyone know why the units are there? Failure?....surplus to requirements?....awaiting overhaul? Any information gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A friend who lives in Beckenham has informed me that an eight - or possibly ten - car Networker (class 465/466) formation has been stabled in the Down Siding, adjacent to the Beckenham Junction - New Beckenham Curve for several days now. He has been unable to get the unit numbers so far, but is hoping to find out on a walk later in the weekend. Does anyone know why the units are there? Failure?....surplus to requirements?....awaiting overhaul? Any information gratefully received.
Appears to have arrived on Tuesday - no obvious sign of it leaving.

5Y00 1050 Slade Green T&R.S.M.D to New Beckenham Siding
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:J41465/2021-05-25/detailed

brad465

Established Member
I saw the same units passing through yesterday. My initial belief is that the siding needed to be used because enough 707s are turning up and blocking out stabling in a part of the country where this is a premium, based on Sidcup also having seen 707s sit there when normally nothing does. Happy to be corrected if this isn't why they're there.

Chriso

My friend in Beckenham has just returned from his walk and informs me that the units are already heavily graffitied. Perhaps that's why they are currently out of service?

Sadly very predictable to everyone bar it seems South Eastern security & the BTP

brad465

Established Member
Well it looks like they're still there..
Flickr Image
@Class 466 said in the 707s thread that they're being stored there until further notice. I don't know how long that will be, but judging by that picture SE need to up security at that site if we're talking weeks or more before they become unrecognisable, although given the limited stabling options they have maybe they should consider doing that anyway IMO.

D6130

Established Member
@Class 466 said in the 707s thread that they're being stored there until further notice. I don't know how long that will be, but judging by that picture SE need to up security at that site if we're talking weeks or more before they become unrecognisable, although given the limited stabling options they have maybe they should consider doing that anyway IMO.
Maybe they were graffitied prior to arriving at New Beckenham and were moved there from somewhere less secure to prevent them being tagged any further prior to being able to be admitted for works attention?

brad465

Established Member
Maybe they were graffitied prior to arriving at New Beckenham and were moved there from somewhere less secure to prevent them being tagged any further prior to being able to be admitted for works attention?
I don't know if they had graffiti before arriving there, but going by some of the earlier posts I doubt New Beckenham is anywhere near secure enough to prevent graffiti being applied.

Mikey C

Established Member
It infuriates me that the rail industry (in general) and spend billions in rolling stock and infrastructure YET can devote so little on security, when surely having extra security patrols and protection is cheaper than having to clean the trains of the graffiti?

And avoids giving the pondlife easy targets

Class 466

Established Member
They came ECS from Slade Green Depot without graffiti. It seems someone locally with a notorious interest in human anatomy has attacked it judging by one of the words on the side of it…

alf

On Moderation
It is like sending them to Sodom and Gomorrah.
What did those three units do wrong?

NSE

Established Member
Yeah I don’t recall them being graffitied when I cycled past them in the early hours of Sunday morning last week. Granted I’d had quite a few so not the most reliable source I do admit...

driverd

Possibly a rare opinion, but I rather like graffiti-ed units, when the graffiti is tasteful and not on windows. Looks rather quirky and in some cases the 'artist' is actually rather talented.

In other cases, however, I must say I don't exactly get the point or purpose. It's a crime, requires trespass, and actually costs you money (paint) to participate in... I suppose the fact that it's an investment of sorts on the part of the one doing the painting gives me more respect for it that say, aimlessly breaking windows, but still.

Tangent over - I rather have nothing much to contribute, other than to say that security can be implemented in other places - for instance, Gascoigne Wood is rather secure. Perhaps these units aren't long for this world?

BlythPower

Whereabouts is that siding relative to the station, please? Presumably they're visible from passing trains. Yes, I need one of them for sight... :smile:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It has been posted on se-gen tonight that these three units ( 465 247, 465 913 and 466 006 ) are being hauled away for scrap during the next few days.

A further nine are going to Worksop for warm storage.

Last edited:

Grumbler

It has been posted on se-gen tonight that these three units ( 465 247, 465 913 and 466 006 ) are being hauled away for scrap during the next few days.

The life expectancy of trains is far less than it once was. I recall that when I was a kid in the late 1950s some of the 4-SUBs were formed of pre-WW1 carriages originally built for steam haulage.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The life expectancy of trains is far less than it once was. I recall that when I was a kid in the late 1950s some of the 4-SUBs were formed of pre-WW1 carriages originally built for steam haulage.
If these units are going for scrap it could just be that they have identified the 'dregs' of the fleet that cost more to maintain than they are worth. The remainder could be in use for some time yet for all we know.

I'd imagine that for every pre-WW1 coach that made it into a SUB unit, another one went for scrap.

BlythPower

I'm really glad I made the effort on Thursday!

Attachments

• London 20210610 003.JPG
    London 20210610 003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 281

100andthirty

To be fair, it was old underframes/bogies that were rebuilt with new bodies and electrical equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.