1. 125Group forum donation: see here!

Never give up - and thank you

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by martin2345uk, 12 Jan 2019.

1. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

So this was one of my first posts on this forum back in 2011....

I am now 36, and I have just been offered a trainee driver role.

What I am saying is, don't give up - if you want this, keep trying. I have no railway experience, I have only done office jobs, there was a time I thought it was just never happen - I never got past the initial sifts, but I pressed on and finally my luck came in with a firm who went straight into tests rather than a CV.

I have seen some posts on here over the years where people get very despondent after yet another "thanks but no thanks", and I have been there many many times, but it IS possible.

And this forum has been such a massive source of information, I 100% could not have done it without the stuff I learned on here so thanks to everyone who posts with advice, tips, moral support, it's a great place.

Martin (",)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. KT530

KT530 Member

Congratulations Martin; all the best with your training.

4. GLENMAYE77

GLENMAYE77 Member

Try try and try again is the motto.....hope to be joining you at the same company on a future course!

Well done matey!!

5. Seejwalker

Seejwalker Member

I'm glad you finally got the green light mate, good luck going forward.

6. keep truckin

keep truckin Member

Damn good work Martin lad! The best of luck with your new job.

7. Paddy O'Doors

Paddy O'Doors Member

Congratulations, hope it goes well for you.
    Makes me realise how lucky I was to be on a training course 4 months after my very first application, I think I may have given up after 10 years.

8. stretchdj74

stretchdj74 Member

Congrats Martin, glad you have made it through, hopefully one day I will be able to write the same message :)

9. 700007

700007 Member

Martin, that was incredibly inspiring and beautiful to read. Whilst I am not aspiring to be a driver (would be cool to drive a train even for a day), your story and passion can be applied to any situation in life. Well done so much and I wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing this with us.

10. Trainguy90

Trainguy90 Member

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new career I know I have no regrets

11. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Congratulations! It is always great to see successes like these :)

12. Joliver

Joliver Member

Congratulations, I'm a week into a course after 3 applications. I got lucky I guess.

13. Kendo

Kendo Member

Excellent mate! totally agree you never know. I do believe in an element of luck in the process but as you say never give up

14. tempuser

tempuser Member

Congratulations. Persistence is an underrated attribute. I've been trying for several months and I sometimes get down. But this has given me hope. Please keep posting with more advice and help for us remaining wannabes.

15. Ception

Ception Member

A role model and someone I can relate to. The same thing happened to me and it took me 2 years from being told no to get landed with a driver role. It became a passion and obsession. Even when people told me to forget driver positions I still put the effort in. If you want it bad enough, you will get it. And that applies to anything else in life you go for. Well done again.

16. xtradj

xtradj Member

Well done pal. Never give up is the best advice I’d give anyone also. Perseverance pays off! Enjoy

17. HLE

HLE Established Member

Good man.

18. Twedds74

Twedds74 Member

Well done Martin, I have a similar story to yours, and I would also say to others, never give up if you really want something that much! It took me nearly 10 years from starting to apply for drivers jobs to getting to where I am now which is 7weeks into my driver training. It is well worth the wait and I’m going to be enjoying the 15-20 years driving career I have ahead of me!

19. baz962

baz962 Established Member

I agree , as Martin knows , I Took roughly eight year's and qualified two month's ago at the age of 48.

20. Walshy23

Walshy23 Member

Congrats Martin, simulat story here. Wanted it in school, got teased for it ended up in mechanics for last 12 years. Hated it. Hated it so so much. One train ride and few google searches later I found the passion for it again and I’m determined to make it happen. New born daughter on the way due in 3 weeks and will defo be pushing her to follow her dream and not let anyone deter her from what she really wants. Congrats again mate :)

21. 185

185 Established Member

Well done mate.

22. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Brilliant! Well done and thanks for sharing with us. As you say, it CAN be done. Sometimes you just need to want it enough and work hard enough to get there.

23. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Couldn’t agree more and congratulations on your impending arrival.

24. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

Great job mate, well done.

25. Junk_girl

Junk_girl Member

Well done Martin. All your hard work has paid off.

26. Amanda

Amanda Member

This is so lovely to read. Congratulations! Here's to a long career on the railways ahead of you. 8-)

27. Methodical

Methodical Member

Congratulations, an inspiring story for anyone reading who wants it badly enough, never give up.
    I managed to gain a position at my first attempt and can't wait to get into my training which starts very soon, but I'm under no illusions that even getting through the initial sift must carry an element of luck purely by the huge volumes of applications for each role.
    I'm sure your mindset, desire and perseverance over the years will ensure you go on to have an enjoyable and successful career.
    All the best to you, and good luck to all out there still chasing their dream , on this site you are in the best place for help and advice to help you get there.

28. OneLowban

OneLowban Member

Great post, well done mate!

29. jamesst

jamesst Member

Well done mate. I started on the barriers at a busy station, worked there for 2 years, then was a guard for 9 years and now have been driving for 3! Never give up, you'll meet some great people and make some great friends along the way!

30. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

Well done Martin

31. Marlow

Marlow Member

As a long time lurker on these forums Martin I've seen you post in various career forum threads and your dedication and drive (pardon the pun) to get where you want has been clear to see... Amazing you've finally got there!

Best of luck pal, sincerely!