• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New 4-tier system for England

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
At least make it with effect from Saturday at one minute past midnight.

Friday is a bank Holiday anyway so fewer businesses will be functioning, and many businesses finish early on New Year's Eve anyway.
They don’t want people going out tomorrow for new year’s eve.

I think the entirety of mainland England is in tier 3 or 4 once this change goes through.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I think the entirety of mainland England is in tier 3 or 4 once this change goes through.
Yes, the only exception will be the Isles of Scilly, which are in Tier 1.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know where you can buy a rubber dinghy in Penzance?

Tracked

Established Member
They've made quite clear they don't give a flying flamingo about the impact of these last minute decisions on businesses up until now, so can't see that changing...:'(

I was really not expecting, so therefore was expecting, this last minute change of tier restrictions. I've had it now with these restrictions, until they provide a very clear map out of this mess with dates and clear targets, I really don't have any respect left for this shambles of an administration.
To be fair, on previous behaviour I was expecting them to leave it a few weeks longer and then giving people 4 or 5 days before the restrictions came in.

I'm still in Tier 3 at the moment, after the initial Lockdown we did ok in South Yorkshire until September, when people were told to go back to work/school. Going into the old Tier 3 and Lockdown brought the figures down, but they've now levelled off since shops opened at the start of December. I was surprised we go into Tier 4 today, we looked to be doing similar to Chesterfield/North Derbyshire in terms of numbers, though it'll probably be in the next couple of weeks.

ChrisC

Established Member
Is Tier 4 the same as the national lockdown which we had in November? Will all the large stores still be open again selling everything, whilst the small local independently run shops on our high streets have to close. So unfair, especially when they only have a few hours notice.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Do they really expect many people to follow these rules now? Looking at how many were out and about today suggests many are fed up and just past point of caring about rules now. Just business will suffer further. More proof there is absolutely no scientific reasoning for any of this just a bunch of buffoons in charge who have no idea what they're even trying to deal with. If they understood anything about virus transmission then they wouldn't carry on the way they're going. I'm at the stage now, call me selfish if you like but I've had enough of all this, that infections go through the roof and can get back to normality quicker.

I'm at the stage now, call me selfish if you like but I've had enough of all this, that infections go through the roof and can get back to normality quicker.

A sensible and realistic approach. Hopefully more people will start to think like this. The only reason I am sticking to the rules to some extent is the fear of getting caught and the consequences.

island

Veteran Member
Is Tier 4 the same as the national lockdown which we had in November? Will all the large stores still be open again selling everything, whilst the small local independently run shops on our high streets have to close. So unfair, especially when they only have a few hours notice.
Yes, tier 4 is a facsimile of the November closedown, save that places of worship can open and picketing but not protest is allowed.

Yew

Established Member
Yes, tier 4 is a facsimile of the November closedown, save that places of worship can open and picketing but not protest is allowed.
Once upon a time, this rule would only have existed in the lands of despotic dictators.

duncanp

Established Member
Submit an FoI and find out?

Birmingham has had lateral flow testing for a few weeks - mostly at the NIA but also in Sheldon and somewhere else I've forgotten. I don't know how many people took advantage but it's been available

Lateral flow testing is also available at West Bromwich Town Hall.

You can make an appointment, but it also possible to turn up without an appointment and still get seen.

I had a test this afternoon, and the result came back negative.

So now I have to stay at home because of Tier 4 rules rather than because of self isolation. <( <(

Richard Scott

Established Member
Hubei province, where Covid started, has 57m people and cities of 11m

They locked down completely, closed airports, roads, schools, business for 16 weeks, then opened up

Deaths per million:

China: 3.3
UK: 676 and rising

Uk economy fell over 20%
Hubei is growing at 4%...

But as you say, no reason at all to lock down hard and fast.
Guess what, I'm actually past caring, know you love lockdowns but I've had enough. Get the vulnerable to shield, plus yourself, and the rest of us will get on with life. I cannot do anymore of this as I'll be soon taking up NHS time due to mental breakdown but then you probably aren't interested as just want to trot out the same rhetoric.

brick60000

Guess what, I'm actually past caring, know you love lockdowns but I've had enough. Get the vulnerable to shield, plus yourself, and the rest of us will get on with life. I cannot do anymore of this as I'll be soon taking up NHS time due to mental breakdown but then you probably aren't interested as just want to trot out the same rhetoric.

I really feel so sorry for everybody finding this difficult. I'd been doing okay until this week, when the last few things I had to look forward to before the inevitable nationwide lockdown in January have been abrubptly cancelled by Mr Hancock & co this afternoon.

But hey, back at university at the end of January, can't wait to be told that all my lectures are online and I have no access to campus facilities for the privellege of £9.25k, again....

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm actively unfollowing people on Twitter now who are still complaining about schools going back.

If only they were the ones who had to see their own 4 year old's development stagnate, when I've sought to do all the right things in minimising his social contact over Christmas.

brick60000

I'm actively unfollowing people on Twitter now who are still complaining about schools going back.

If only they were the ones who had to see their own 4 year old's development stagnate, when I've sought to do all the right things in minimising his social contact over Christmas.
I do sympathise with this view though. It seems completely pointless having tiered restrictions in place that are so strict, yet continuing to open schools which are clearly a key spreader of the virus (unless I’m completely wrong, more than happy to be!).

Why can’t schools “just wait 3 more months” when people’s mental well-being is having to do just that.

I'm being facetious....I can fully understand that schools NEED to be open. But if the government wants to argue we need to lockdown areas strictly then I can’t understand how the two views are compatible.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I really feel so sorry for everybody finding this difficult. I'd been doing okay until this week, when the last few things I had to look forward to before the inevitable nationwide lockdown in January have been abrubptly cancelled by Mr Hancock & co this afternoon.

But hey, back at university at the end of January, can't wait to be told that all my lectures are online and I have no access to campus facilities for the privellege of £9.25k, again....
Those in education have been well and truly shafted by all this. It's appalling the way university students and pupils in school have been treated. I'm fed up with the idea of keeping people safe, it's just a nonsense.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I do sympathise with this view though. It seems completely pointless having tiered restrictions in place that are so strict, yet continuing to open schools which are clearly a key spreader of the virus (unless I’m completely wrong, more than happy to be!).

Why can’t schools “just wait 3 more months” when people’s mental well-being is having to do just that.

I'm being facetious....I can fully understand that schools NEED to be open. But if the government wants to argue we need to lockdown areas strictly then I can’t understand how the two views are compatible.

3 months is a pretty big deal developmentally when you're four...

I'm amazed about how much he's developed just since September. From scribbling with a pencil to being able to write his own name. From counting to being able to add and subtract. Etc. Etc.

dgl

Established Member
Well I wonder if the retail units at Babylon Hill is Yeovil will be allowed to stay open now :D

Bikeman78

Established Member
They could shut essential shops and takeaways at eight as they have done in Northern Ireland this week. Personally to me such a move seems counterproductive as it would just make supermarkets more crowded in the hours they are open.
Agreed. If you stop anyone from ordering a takeaway then they will have to get all their food from supermarkets. Or they could go for home delivery but how is that any different to a person delivering a takeaway?

Yew

Established Member
Agreed. If you stop anyone from ordering a takeaway then they will have to get all their food from supermarkets. Or they could go for home delivery but how is that any different to a person delivering a takeaway?
Who cares about effectiveness, it's all about pleasing those who want to feel like they've made a sacrifice.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Many I know weren't planning on going out anyway.

Only the Isles of Scilly are in a lower tier than three from midnight tonight.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yes I have the belief that the vulnerable should be asked to shield voluntarily (I say that because not everyone who is elderly/vulnerable likes being locked down) while the vaccines are rolled out to them, with moderate restrictions for the rest. Then once all the most vulnerable (say over 65s, care/health works) and some younger at risk people have had it, complete normality for everyone including vulnerable groups (of course I don't see that or anything similar happening).
Surely a lot of them are doing that anyway? My parents have done very little in terms of interraction with other people since late March. They get most of their shopping delivered. They'd be very unlucky to get infected.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Johnson in response to a journalist has stated that if things go well, NPIs (non-pharmaceutical interventions, e.g. the tier system) will be gone by April, but hand-washing and face coverings may still remain.

I don't think he stated which April, though.

Crossover

Established Member
Something of a fall from grace for the Isle Of Wight. Tier 1 to 4 via 3 in the space of just over a week?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Johnson in response to a journalist has stated that if things go well, NPIs (non-pharmaceutical interventions, e.g. the tier system) will be gone by April, but hand-washing and face coverings may still remain.

All the Tory MPs that were anti the tiers back at the start of December aren't saying diddly squeak about these changes nor the fact that govt is blatantly disregarding the criteria it said it would follow in which tier you were in and whether you moved up or down at the reviews.

MikeWM

Established Member

Err... masks *are* an NPI. Does someone want explain that to the Prime Minister for us?

Wychwood93

Something of a fall from grace for the Isle Of Wight. Tier 1 to 4 via 3 in the space of just over a week?
They are possibly a tad miffed - doing so well at one point and then - local businesses must be sh*****g themselves. At least their businesses have not suffered as much as my local area - Pokesdown through to Boscombe has even more shops 'to let' etc. than normal for an area which has that sort of thing anyway, Christchurch drifting that way and in Burton we only have two shops of the convenience type, at least they will be open as we have Tier 4 at midnight. We had an antiques shop at one time, but that was years ago! Not Covid related!

I was aware of the outcome of the Boris show before it happened - not going to watch, but I did. I thought they did well - not the 'A team' - but fine. I have warmed to 'JVT' - my initial impression was soulless and dour, given that things are now, vaccines on-stream, getting better, he is almost jovial!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
They are possibly a tad miffed - doing so well at one point and then - local businesses must be sh*****g themselves. At least their businesses have not suffered as much as my local area - Pokesdown through to Boscombe has even more shops 'to let' etc. than normal for an area which has that sort of thing anyway, Christchurch drifting that way and in Burton we only have two shops of the convenience type, at least they will be open as we have Tier 4 at midnight. We had an antiques shop at one time, but that was years ago! Not Covid related!

I was aware of the outcome of the Boris show before it happened - not going to watch, but I did. I thought they did well - not the 'A team' - but fine. I have warmed to 'JVT' - my initial impression was soulless and dour, given that things are now, vaccines on-stream, getting better, he is almost jovial!
JVT/Powis talking a good job but when direct questions are asked about specifics of the rollout like how many/week, how long they don't have answer. My take is they don't have an idea yet of how much supply they are going to get. Hancock was equally evasive in the commons but all saying Easter is the target so 13 weeks to jab 15 million people means they need to get a shift on.

Pete_uk

Established Member
All the fun of the fair eh? I'm in tier 4 tomorrow. I'm still of to steal some ballast from a path near the railway collect some stones for the garden.

The one thing I worry about is that we could be one mutation away from chaos again.

Status
Not open for further replies.