• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New 7 day working rota for scotrail drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotland1977

Hi does anybody have any information on the proposed 7 day working week which scotrail wants to introduce to their drivers and how it would effect the current shift pattern already being covered by the drivers.
I know they want to make Sunday a part of the working week,was wondering how the company is going to introduce this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CromptonLad

Hi does anybody have any information on the proposed 7 day working week which scotrail wants to introduce to their drivers and how it would effect the current shift pattern already being covered by the drivers.
I know they want to make Sunday a part of the working week,was wondering how the company is going to introduce this.

What is ASLEF and RMT's take on this - I was under impression that Sundays is usually overtime/voluntary or on a rota of 'one a month' for all drivers ?

scotland1977

What is ASLEF and RMT's take on this - I was under impression that Sundays is usually overtime/voluntary or on a rota of 'one a month' for all drivers ?
I'm not sure the unions take on the 7 day working week,I knew
that the union excepted that in today's modern times a modern railway needs to operate 7 days a week just unsure how they are going to adjust the shift pattern to cover the Sunday on a regular / part of your shift rota Basis

scotraildriver

Established Member
It's not been proposed but a working party has been set up to investigate how incorporating Sundays into the working week (and basic salary) might work. ASLEF are in favour as it would require recruitment of more drivers and it's what the company need. There is agreement there and several options being looked at including a 4 on 4 off system amongst others. But nothing is decided yet.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I understand that it has been an objective of ASLEF to have Sundays included in the working week across the board for some time.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Talks start soon (end of March) if memory serves me right?..

Do not think it will be easy (some drivers are exempt etc) tbh but if there is enough will between ASLEF/RMT and company to look seriously at it then crack on.

scotland1977

It's not been proposed but a working party has been set up to investigate how incorporating Sundays into the working week (and basic salary) might work. ASLEF are in favour as it would require recruitment of more drivers and it's what the company need. There is agreement there and several options being looked at including a 4 on 4 off system amongst others. But nothing is decided yet.

Cheers for the info scotrail driver ??????.... I've worked 4 on 4 off for 15years and can honestly say it's the best shift pattern ever,yeah there is a lot of weekend work but the time off well makes up for it??????It also works for the company as well as they can normally get holidays/ sick cover no problem.
Thanks for the reu

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
What is the current shift pattern?

Rolling days off. Mon/Tue week 1
Wed/Thu week 2
Fri/sat week 3 (Long weekend Sunday as well)
Mon/Tue week 4 etc.

Roughly 2 in 4 Sundays are rostered. ie compulsory overtime unless someone else is willing to work it for you as overtime.

leaffall

I've worked 4 on 4 off outside the industry, and I'm not sure how it would work on the railway as it would give the same number of drivers on duty on a Saturday and Sunday as it would on a weekday, with fewer services to cover.

You would work just as many Sundays as any other day which is considerably more than at present.

Does anyone know if any TOC's use 4 on 4 off for rostering drivers except Eurotunnel? (whose operation is largely the same 7 days a week)

scotraildriver

Established Member
I expect 4 on 4 off is fairly unlikely for that reason, but is one option. It has been suggested that the extra drivers rostered on Sundays could be used for rules days, simulator days, route refreshers, safety briefings etc without impacting the weekday schedule. It night just work.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I've worked 4 on 4 off outside the industry, and I'm not sure how it would work on the railway as it would give the same number of drivers on duty on a Saturday and Sunday as it would on a weekday, with fewer services to cover.

You would work just as many Sundays as any other day which is considerably more than at present.

Does anyone know if any TOC's use 4 on 4 off for rostering drivers except Eurotunnel? (whose operation is largely the same 7 days a week)

With Sunday inside on a 4 on 4 off or another way they would be looking to seriously increase their service offering at the weekend.
For fatigue management I would be happy to look at it as an option.

scotland1977

Rolling days off. Mon/Tue week 1
Wed/Thu week 2
Fri/sat week 3 (Long weekend Sunday as well)
Mon/Tue week 4 etc.

Roughly 2 in 4 Sundays are rostered. ie compulsory overtime unless someone else is willing to work it for you as overtime.

Didn't realise there were two Sunday's required by the driver to cover on compulsory overtime per month...the money would be good but heavy fatigue I guess especially going from nights to days etc

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Didn't realise there were two Sunday's required by the driver to cover on compulsory overtime per month...the money would be good but heavy fatigue I guess especially going from nights to days etc

The worst part is when you finish late on the Saturday night then they have you in at 04:00 ish on the Monday :|with the Sunday "Off" in between.. I don't think I have heard many drivers or conductors say they get used to that.. because Sunday is classed outside the working week it happens.
I can understand people say they want to leave Sundays outside for time off with family but I personally think (and it is my own opinion) being like a zombie on that day and for rest of week is not worth it..

scotland1977

The worst part is when you finish late on the Saturday night then they have you in at 04:00 ish on the Monday :|with the Sunday "Off" in between.. I don't think I have heard many drivers or conductors say they get used to that.. because Sunday is classed outside the working week it happens.
I can understand people say they want to leave Sundays outside for time off with family but I personally think (and it is my own opinion) being like a zombie on that day and for rest of week is not worth it..

Yeah I totally agree with you,I've worked a similar rota when working in transport going from12hour nights to 12 hour days in 24hrs your body clock is all over the place and your right your day off consists of walking about like a zombie.Least with the 4 on 4 off or something similar you have time to rest and get good family /social time.

Status
Not open for further replies.