• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Ayrshire Timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylemore

Just had a look at the new timetable, unless I've got it wrong there are no off peak express services from Stations Irvine to Ayr inc. to Paisley Gilmour St!
Please tell me I'm wrong and I've just misread the timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

apestyler

That's pretty much it in a nutshell - I'm a driver on this route and the not stopping at Paisley on the express headcodes is certainly going to catch a few passengers out and a bit weird for us shooting through Gilmour St!

From what I can gather the pattern from Glasgow is:

xx00: Express to Ayr (First stop Kilwinning)
xx04: Stopper to Irvine
xx30: Express to Ayr (First stop Kilwinning)
xx34: Stopper to Ayr

kylemore

What a monumentally stupid idea!

How long will this nonsense last?

The equivalent would be the E&Gs running through Haymarket in Edinburgh!

A big loss of connectivity for absolutely no return.

Last edited:

Sadsmileyface

You've got Transport Scotland to thank for that.

They know better than everyone about everything apparently.

Another move with purely political motivations just so they can say they're reducing journey times.

gingerheid

Established Member
It's a mixture of craziness and a sad and realistic reflection of the fact that Paisley town centre is slowly being wiped off the map by Braehead and Silverburn :(

gazza8

So Paisley gets 8 trains an hour to Glasgow Central at the moment and because there not upping it to 10 its the end of the Ayrshire and Inverclyde railway??

Some people are never happy, the majority of trains after peak time are dead from Paisley anyway

The reason for this i believe is that they want to increase the service for stations which do not have the luxuary or more than 2 trains an hour e.g Irvine and the infastructure simply wont alllow all trains to call at Paisley and Jonstone

kylemore

So Paisley gets 8 trains an hour to Glasgow Central at the moment and because there not upping it to 10 its the end of the Ayrshire and Inverclyde railway??

Some people are never happy, the majority of trains after peak time are dead from Paisley anyway

The reason for this i believe is that they want to increase the service for stations which do not have the luxuary or more than 2 trains an hour e.g Irvine and the infastructure simply wont alllow all trains to call at Paisley and Jonstone

I doubt very much whether stopping at Paisley alone would have made much difference.

The service from Glasgow is still effectively half-hourly the only difference is you travel in different sections minutes apart for different stations.

A better use of resources would have been to ensure the present service was all 6/7 car and to have taken a £1 off the fares with seasons pro rata.
I live in Irvine and that would have been an IMPROVEMENT to me rather than this ill-thought out mess.

It's not the number of trains between Paisley and Glasgow thats a problem it's that connectivity from Ayrshire to Glasgow Airport/Inverclyde lines is worsened for no return.

gazza8

I doubt very much whether stopping at Paisley alone would have made much difference.

The service from Glasgow is still effectively half-hourly the only difference is you travel in different sections minutes apart for different stations.

A better use of resources would have been to ensure the present service was all 6/7 car and to have taken a £1 off the fares with seasons pro rata.
I live in Irvine and that would have been an IMPROVEMENT to me rather than this ill-thought out mess.

It's not the number of trains between Paisley and Glasgow thats a problem it's that connectivity from Ayrshire to Glasgow Airport/Inverclyde lines is worsened for no return.

Why dont you consider it an improvement? You now have 4 trains an hours to glasgow, 2 will stop at paisley and the other 2 you will have a 5 minute wait at Kilwinning - even with this change its still a faster service to paisley than the direct one

Last edited:

kylemore

Why dont you consider it an improvement? You now have 4 trains an hours to glasgow, 2 will stop at paisley and the other 2 you will have a 5 minute wait at Kilwinning - even with this change its still a faster service to paisley than the direct one

- From Irvine yes the trains are well spaced, however ex Glasgow it's in reality two trains very close together every half hour in effect still a half hourly service.

- Unless I'm reading it wrong there is now no fast service to Paisley from stns Ayr - Irvine off peak, there is at the moment. In effect two fast trains an hour from Irvine to Paisley have been replaced by two slow all stops an hour, how can that be an improvement? Changing trains at Kilwinning is a hassle.

- Simply by stopping the trains at Paisley all this could have been solved, as I said the equivalent would be Glasgow to Edinburgh trains running through Haymarket for an imperceptable time saving or Low level trains not stopping at Partick Interchange just to save a minute!

Its just plain stupid and I don't see it lasting.

bAzTNM

Don't know my Paisley geography, but isn't Paisley Canal getting an increase in the number of trains arriving?

Isn't that near Gilmour Street?

Sadsmileyface

I think even with the electrification, it's still just two an hour for Paisley Canal (a ten minute walk in almost a straight line, not far). I seem to recall something about extra Sunday services for it though, but might be wrong.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Paisley Canal is remaining at 2tph all day, everyday despite being electrified (but is still closed on Sundays). Gilmour St-Canal is a 12-15 min walk, but I think the bigger issue here (which I agree with), is the loss of the easy connections between Wemyss Bay / Gourock / Greenock / Port Glasgow and Irvine, Prestwick (and its airport), Troon and Ayr...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I seem to recall something about extra Sunday services for it though, but might be wrong.

I've seen no mention of it, and the new timetable (http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/PaisleyCanal.qr13.pdf) says there isn't either.

bAzTNM

I'd love to see some extra Sunday services for that Paisley Canal route. It lies right smack bang on a cracker of a cycle-path Ayrshire way.

gazza8

- From Irvine yes the trains are well spaced, however ex Glasgow it's in reality two trains very close together every half hour in effect still a half hourly service.

In effect yes but one will take 30 mins to Irvine the one after will take 40 mins, so you've got a faster service than now and an extra train which takes just 5 mins longer, which in reality is an improvement

- Unless I'm reading it wrong there is now no fast service to Paisley from stns Ayr - Irvine off peak, there is at the moment. In effect two fast trains an hour from Irvine to Paisley have been replaced by two slow all stops an hour, how can that be an improvement? Changing trains at Kilwinning is a hassle.

Agreed that there is now no fast service 42 - 44 min journey time ayr- paisley, but now you have 4 trains from ayr with a 46 -48 min Journey time, 2of these trains changing at Kilwinning. A hassle for some but a daily exercise for others.

- Simply by stopping the trains at Paisley all this could have been solved, as I said the equivalent would be Glasgow to Edinburgh trains running through Haymarket for an imperceptable time saving or Low level trains not stopping at Partick Interchange just to save a minute!

The huge demand for stopping at Paisley from stations Ayr to Irvine just isnt there and cant honestly be quoted in the same bracket as Haymarket and Partick. Id say an additional journey time of 2-4 mins on current services and an additional 2 services if you change at Kilwinning isnt that stupid an idea
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In effect yes but one will take 30 mins to Irvine the one after will take 40 mins, so you've got a faster service than now and an extra train which takes just 5 mins longer, which in reality is an improvement.

Agreed that there is now no fast service 42 - 44 min journey time ayr- paisley, but now you have 4 trains from ayr with a 46 -48 min Journey time, 2of these trains changing at Kilwinning. A hassle for some but a daily exercise for others.

The huge demand for stopping at Paisley from stations Ayr to Irvine just isnt there and cant honestly be quoted in the same bracket as Haymarket and Partick. Id say an additional journey time of 2-4 mins on current services and an additional 2 services if you change at Kilwinning isnt that stupid an idea

tbtc

Veteran Member
This is the kind of argument that could be solved by YorkshireBear's "point to point" data request. How many people travel from Ayr to Paisley? Since the two stations have had a regular (half hourly) service for many years, I'd expect a reasonable number, but nothing like the number who travel from Ayr to Glasgow or from Paisley to Glasgow. Do many people use the train from Greenock to Ayrshire?

Paisley is certainly nothing like Glasgow's equivalent of Haymarket - maybe it'd be a bit like Leeds - London trains no longer all stopping at Wakefield.

bAzTNM

Ayr to Paisley, morning and afternoon, must be quite full due to that Uni and various colleges in Paisley.

It must be absolutely dead at night though. Can't see it being too full at weekends either.

Status
Not open for further replies.