• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Liveries in the Aviation World

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Two rather controversial liveries have recently debuted...

Firstly American Airlines have launched their first re-branding in almost 40 years with them swapping unpainted metal for grey with a stylised US flag on the tail.

Old

New
Real 737 -http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/DSC_0112.jpg

CGI 773
american-airlines-new-logo-livery-2.jpg

Secondly Air France are bringing all their regional operations under the name HOP!

Impression of the Livery- http://corporate.airfrance.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/Embraer170-Hop_01.jpg

From the Press Release (Bovid Manure)

A SIMPLE AND EFFICIENT NAME, SYNONYMOUS WITH MOBILITY AND ACTION
The name “HOP!“ evokes rapidity and the ease with which travelers can get from point A to B. Synonymous with agility, HOP! illustrates its capacity to bounce back and adapt to customers’ needs. The simple typography and red colouring featured in the HOP! logo illustrates the Company’s flexibility in a creative and playful manner. Positioned alongside a slanted exclamation mark, symbolizing an aircraft’s take-off, HOP! illustrates an ambition for reactivity and mobility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hmmm... if I was going to re-livery Air France ( the small logo low down on the side suggests AF itself is going to switch to the red bar ) I would have done something like this... I did the below sketch about 20 years ago.... ( Top band of tail is blue but it didn't scan properly! )

Attachments

• Air France Livery 1.jpg
    Air France Livery 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 33

ushawk

Established Member
I really like the new American livery, looks very smart and much more modern - the tail looks great too.

Not sure about the new HOP! livery, just looks bog standard really.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Whilst American don't have any 787s or A350s on order, parts such as wing tips and even tail fins flaps and belly fairings are increasingly composite on existing build programmes, so the unpainted look needed to be replaced

starrymarkb

Established Member
Whilst American don't have any 787s or A350s on order, parts such as wing tips and even tail fins flaps and belly fairings are increasingly composite on existing build programmes, so the unpainted look needed to be replaced

They do have plans for 787s and have signed with Boeing (but not placed an order as yet), more pressingly they have 200 Airbii on order with deliveries due to start in a few months (July IIRC) and they can't be polished due to the materials used.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm not surprised American have finally rebranded, it was clearly going to be harder and harder to maintain an 'unpainted' look with aircraft made of composite material. I think the artists impression looks great, but the actual photographs make it look a litte bland in my honest opinion - the grey just looks like undercoat.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

When I looked at the HOP livery, I saw Japan rather than France.

Agreed - I quite like it, though.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
The old American Airlines livery was an absolute classic and one I associate with Heathrow Airport, where there always seems to be at least a good number of AA planes parked at T3.

The new livery is fine, but it's very much following the fad of having billboard titles and the tail design extending down.

HOP is alright, again nothing remarkable. I don't really see what was wrong with Régional though. AF-KLM better not touch KLM's livery, that's one of my favourites.

BestWestern

Established Member
I'm not surprised American have finally rebranded, it was clearly going to be harder and harder to maintain an 'unpainted' look with aircraft made of composite material. I think the artists impression looks great, but the actual photographs make it look a litte bland in my honest opinion - the grey just looks like undercoat.

Silver might have been better, the CGI hints more at silver than grey I'd say. That's assuming silver is plausible?

starrymarkb

Established Member
It also appears that Iberia may have a new livery - though the company officially deny it a new logo was spotted on the PTVs on the press shots of the new A330 interior... Of course to remove doubt (unless they repaint it) the A330 was doing taxi tests at Toulouse prior to it's first flight and there is the new Logo on the Engine...

8427864808_a5619ce1c9_z.jpg

The rest of the aircraft is plain white presumably in an attempt to keep the logo under wraps - (as an aside I'm surprised given they are under the same umbrella as BA that they don't have Trents fitted to the 330s)

starrymarkb

Established Member
And now the Flag on the American tail becomes clear - US Airways and American are to merge

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I like the Air France HOP livery, looks pretty cool even if it looks more suited to a JAL plane!

Status
Not open for further replies.