• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New national restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Is there any evidence that takeaways are a major driver of transmission?

kez19

Established Member

I doubt it (opinion only) but I guess its another goalpost moment

Oddly just like the time for gyms to close... was evidence actually brought forward?

greyman42

Established Member
I doubt it but then sturgeon just likes to be seen as doing something. Then when Johnson follows her 3 hours later it does his credibility no good.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Our esteemed leader, has announced further restrictions on takeaway, click and collect and trademen working in homes.

I'm currently "out and about" at the moment so not in the best place to provide a link and quote, apologies.

brick60000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55646778

Tightening of Scottish lockdown rules announced​

Covid restrictions around takeaway and click and collect services in Scotland are to tighten.
Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books -will be allowed to offer click and collect.
Takeaways can no longer allow customers indoors, and must instead operate from a hatch or doorway.
The new rules will come into force on Saturday.

Can't help but be confused as to why books are deemed essential, other than maybe for educational purposes?

Scotrail12

Glad that takeaways are at least remaining open but such, small pointless changes that will make 0 difference. That's Wee Nippy for ya!

kez19

Established Member
Glad that takeaways are at least remaining open but such, small pointless changes that will make 0 difference. That's Wee Nippy for ya!

It’s the stupidity of the changes, like really?

In short order something on app - store can’t come in meet us at the back (you would think innocent people are doing drugs at the stores!)

duncanp

Established Member
From the BBC live feed, these are the new restrictions in Scotland.
  • Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books -will be allowed to offer click and collect.
  • Take-away services must operate from a serving hatch or doorway, no one can go inside a premise to collect food or drink
  • Alcohol will be illegal to drink outdoors in public (in level 4 areas)
  • Statutory guidance will be given to employers to allow staff to work from home wherever possible
  • Work inside people's houses only allowed if it is essential maintenance
  • People must not leave and remain outside the home other than for an essential purpose

I wonder what difference these measures will actually make.

kez19

Established Member
  • Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books -will be allowed to offer click and collect.
  • Take-away services must operate from a serving hatch or doorway, no one can go inside a premise to collect food or drink
  • Statutory guidance will be given to employers to allow staff to work from home wherever possible
  • People must not leave and remain outside the home other than for an essential purpose

Oh the joys! ....

People must not leave/remain outside the home other than for an essential purpose -- well all the MP's can work from home then!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
How is that different to now?
Exactly my thoughts.

I did see this tweet: https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1349336419051974657
The stay at home regulations will also be changed so that if @policescotland stop you for doing something considered non-essential, you can no longer use an original essential purpose for leaving home as a reasonable excuse

I think it means if you are out for an "essential purpose" and get caught doing something "non-essential", you can't say you're out for an "essential" reason. Or something like that.

philosopher

Established Member
Not permitting people inside a takeaway sounds so much of a faff that I imagine most takeaways will not bother opening. Only those with app based ordering and payment system like Starbucks or street stalls can really operate easily in such circumstances.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Not permitting people inside a takeaway sounds so much of a faff that I imagine most takeaways will not bother opening. Only those with app based ordering and payment system like Starbucks or street stalls can really operate easily in such circumstances.
The staff inside can bring it to the door and hand it to you that way.

Surely that is more of a risk than going into a shop and being separate by a perspex screen?

duncanp

Established Member
How is that different to now? (unless "reasonable excuses" now become "essential purposes"?)

I think what Aunty Nicola means is that if you go to the supermarket for some essential shopping, you must go straight home afterwards.

No lingering on the park bench smoking a fag, reading a book or drinking a cup of takeaway coffee.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

kez19

Established Member
I think what Aunty Nicola means is that if you go to the supermarket for some essential shopping, you must go straight home afterwards.

No lingering on the park bench smoking a fag, reading a book or drinking a cup of takeaway coffee.

But still its ok for her to do this though? (or any MP for that matter!), does that mean journalists are banned too?

kristiang85

Established Member

The alcohol one just means those people who were drinking outdoors will now drink indoors, surely?

duncanp

Established Member
But still its ok for her to do this though? (or any MP for that matter!), does that mean journalists are banned too?

Aunty Nicola has graciously allowed takeaways to remain open, but heaven help you if you linger in the street with your fish supper.

devon_metro

Established Member

Really looking forward to seeing the scientific evidence behind those.

kez19

Established Member

Covid restrictions around takeaway and click and collect services in Scotland are to tighten.
Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books -will be allowed to offer click and collect.
Collections must also be outdoors, with appointments staggered to avoid queuing.
And takeaways can no longer allow customers indoors, and must instead operate from a hatch or doorway.
The changed are among six new rules that will come into force on Saturday.
They also include a ban on the consumption of alcohol outdoors in all level four areas - which includes all of mainland Scotland and some islands - meaning takeaway pints will not be allowed.
And statutory guidance will also be published for employers to support people working from home.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said that it essentially meant that if people were working from home during the lockdown last year, they must do so again this time.
Rules around work carried out in private properties will also be tightened - with only work for "maintenance, upkeep and functioning" to be allowed, rather than for example painting and decorating.
Finally, the first minister said the wording of the stay at home law will be altered to "close an apparent loophole", preventing people from leaving and "remaining" outdoors other than for an essential purpose.
Ms Sturgeon said: "We believe that both individually and collectively these additional measures, in further reducing the interactions that allow the virus to spread, will help our essential efforts to suppress it."

'Unexpected decision'​

Retail industry representatives have described click and collect services as a "lifeline" for struggling businesses amid the forced closure of all non-essential shops.
And they said they had not been shown any evidence that click and collect was driving transmission of the virus.
There have also been concerns that limiting click and collect will merely encourage more people to go to supermarkets to shop instead.
Scottish Conservative MSP Ruth Davidson said business owners felt the evidence for the latest decisions had not been made plain, and were "unexpected". She asked the first minister if extra compensation would be made available to businesses who made their premises "Covid compliant".
Ms Sturgeon said an evidence paper would be published on Wednesday to explain the "state of the pandemic" that had "underpinned" the latest restrictions.
She added the evidence said when community transmission is high the evidence showed people had to "minimise interactions".

giggles.... we have clowns running the country in both as in Scotland and UK as a whole.... is it really about the science or is it all about their egos? I wonder if SAGE had a say if they did I guess England and the rest are about to follow (irony)

So does that mean she can't hire a stylist to do her hair or will she get away with it?

johntea

Established Member
So you can stand outside a takeaway but you can’t stand outside a retailer to click and collect?

Amazon are currently laughing all the way to the bank!

Exactly my thoughts.

I did see this tweet: https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1349336419051974657

I think it means if you are out for an "essential purpose" and get caught doing something "non-essential", you can't say you're out for an "essential" reason. Or something like that.

She did state this was a more of a technical change to remove a possible loophole/gap in the Regulations and to align it better with the equivalent Regulations in the other UK nations

The relevant part of the speech from today: https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...te-first-ministers-statement-13-january-2021/

"The final change is an amendment to the regulations requiring people to stay at home.
However, this is intended to close an apparent loophole rather than change the spirit of the law. It will also bring the wording of the stay at home regulations in Scotland into line with the other UK nations.
Right now, the law states that people can only leave home for an essential purpose.
However, having left home for an essential purpose, someone could then stay out of their home to do something that is not essential without breaching the law as it stands.
So the amendment will make it clear that people must not leave or remain outside the home unless it is for an essential purpose.
This change will provide legal clarity to facilitate any necessary enforcement.
I want to be clear though that this does not change the range of essential purposes that currently enable people to leave their house - nor does it, for example, put any time limit on how long you can be outdoors for essential exercise.
But it does mean that if the police challenge you for being out of the house doing something that is not essential, it will not be a defence to say you initially left the house to do something that was essential.

kez19

Established Member
Really looking forward to seeing the scientific evidence behind those.

I doubt there is evidence for it, I just find it as other targets to go for, most of Hospitality is on its knees so lets go for something else or other things people are doing.

I guess if you got stopped and said exercising I wonder if you be fined? Seems likely as I am sure it be classed as "non essential"?

She did state this was a more of a technical change to remove a possible loophole/gap in the Regulations and to align it better with the equivalent Regulations in the other UK nations

The relevant part of the speech from today: https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...te-first-ministers-statement-13-january-2021/

"The final change is an amendment to the regulations requiring people to stay at home.
However, this is intended to close an apparent loophole rather than change the spirit of the law. It will also bring the wording of the stay at home regulations in Scotland into line with the other UK nations.
Right now, the law states that people can only leave home for an essential purpose.
However, having left home for an essential purpose, someone could then stay out of their home to do something that is not essential without breaching the law as it stands.
So the amendment will make it clear that people must not leave or remain outside the home unless it is for an essential purpose.
This change will provide legal clarity to facilitate any necessary enforcement.
I want to be clear though that this does not change the range of essential purposes that currently enable people to leave their house - nor does it, for example, put any time limit on how long you can be outdoors for essential exercise.
But it does mean that if the police challenge you for being out of the house doing something that is not essential, it will not be a defence to say you initially left the house to do something that was essential.

So who is to say that the loophole can be used to their advantage whilst the public are thrown to the dogs?

Moving goalposts further, I can see people who mind their business doing exercise or out for fresh air being told off/fined by police can’t be to coincidental in terms of what’s happening recently in England? Still though nothing to see here move along

It’s ironic I see an ad on STV called clear your head speaking about going outside etc you say hello to people so with all these developments they may as well scrap the ads like this and it’s website if people are being confined to homes and not being given the freedom to move as they wish in their area but still though it’s about the virus remember

So you can stand outside a takeaway but you can’t stand outside a retailer to click and collect?

Amazon are currently laughing all the way to the bank!

Grabs tinfoil.

Last edited:

Scotrail12

Trouble is that I doubt this would appease the pro or anti shutdown groups.

I haven't looked on Twitter but I bet a bunch of fast food workers who desperately want to be on furlough are whinging that she's still keeping them open and using language like "putting us at risk of dying from a deadly virus".

Status
Not open for further replies.