• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Platform Bristol Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The new platform at Bristol Parkway was opened earlier in the week by Tom Harris, Alison Forster, Doug Naysmith MP & someone from NR. I passed through it yesterday on a train and saw that the new platform was numbered 4, so the platforms are now numbered 2, 1 and 4 (in that order). I suppose it makes sense when they add the other platform, so only 1 platform will need renumbering.

Couldn't get much of a view from the train, but it might be a bit windswept with little of the original back of the platform remaining, except in 1 area. Although there are still 2 waiting rooms - the new one includes automatic doors, but it looks a bit narrow to put a wheelchair in!

I know there are TV screens which display platform numbers, but the LED scrolling display remains in the same location, displaying the next 3 trains with no idea what platform they'll be on. Unless it just displays plat 1 by default, but there didn't appear to be signage to this effect.

There are things hanging from the platform roof covered in black bags which I presume are the OFF indicators.

Could help out during the day, as the xx01 and xx31 HSTs to Paddington are often a few minutes late, meaning the following Voyager at xx09 and xx39 sometimes has to wait outside the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterH

I use parkway a lot cant say i can see the point of it just that now the walls gone you get wet a lot quicker

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You could always stand at either end of the platform, or in the waiting room where there *are* walls ;)

The point of it is to ease capacity constraints, either when trains terminate there (lots of talk about the FIT terminators will be extended to here & a few years later to Yate when they get the turnback sorted). Another issue is the one I've mentioned, allowing 2 trains in each direction to load/unload.

PeterH

Sorry forgot about the 2 small waiting rooms that are full up when there are a platform full of ppl waiting for a Padington train plus only train ive seen in new palatform on a morning are EWS coal trains

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've never seen it used, but it can be, by trains in either direction.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It doesn't exist... yet ;) When the other platform is built by platform 2 in the same way they did plat 4, they will renumber.

Mintona

Established Member
Are there any photos of it, coz I've yet to be to Bristol Parkway since the completion of the platform.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the NR website:
displaymedia.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.