• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Railcard for Veterans...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan2603

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, but Grant Shapps (Sec of State for Transport) has today announced that former servicemen/women will be able to buy a 'Veterans Railcard' from November 2020.

The new railcard for veterans will be available to buy from 11 November and will cost £21 for a limited period, before rising to £30.

A new railcard offering discounted train tickets for military veterans will be launched later this year, the government has said.

The railcard - to be released on Armistice Day in November - will save a third off most train fares.

It will benefit more than 830,000 veterans who do not already qualify for existing discounts, the Department for Transport said.

Serving armed forces personnel already qualify for their own railcard.

"Every part of society should honour the debt we owe those who've served our country," said Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

He said allowing ex-servicemen and women to travel more easily was "the least we can do".

"This railcard will help open up opportunities to veterans, whether through employment and retraining, or by strengthening links with friends and family," he added.

Full details: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51201885

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, but Grant Shapps (Sec of State for Transport) has today announced that former servicemen/women will be able to buy a 'Veterans Railcard' from November 2020.

The new railcard for veterans will be available to buy from 11 November and will cost £21 for a limited period, before rising to £30.

Full details: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51201885

Another group getting a discount then.....So what will be the criteria? Anyone who's been in the military or those who've been in combat? Isn't this just an exptension of the Forces Railcard?

Sounds to me like another Government publicity stunt.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Veterans already get free travel on TfL services with a veterans oyster card. It has the same validity as a staff pass except it's also valid on Chiltern railways between west Ruislip and South Ruislip.

Scott1

Its reaching the point where the people who don't qualify for any railcard are quite rightly going to get angry about it. There seems to e one for about half the population at this stage.

talldave

Established Member
All we need is a Railcard for those of us not entitled to a Railcard and the job's done. "Middle aged Billy No-mates" card, perhaps??

More seriously though, how are TOCs expected to deal with this? They take on a franchise with an understanding of the fare revenue model, then a government Minister looking to score brownie points implements a policy like this that effectively cuts revenue. What redress do TOCs have?

Alan2603

Veterans already get free travel on TfL services with a veterans oyster card. It has the same validity as a staff pass except it's also valid on Chiltern railways between west Ruislip and South Ruislip.

That is only for injured veterans who've sustained a certain level of physical or psychological injury in the line of duty and who receive either an ongoing War Disablement Pension at the rate for 20% disabled or more, or receive an ongoing guaranteed income payment under the newer Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (including dependents of).

Uninjured or 'only slightly injured' veterans don't receive the TFL Veterans Oyster card.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/veterans-oyster-photocard#on-this-page-2

The newly announced railcard covers all veterans (injured or not).

mpthomson

Another group getting a discount then.....So what will be the criteria? Anyone who's been in the military or those who've been in combat? Isn't this just an exptension of the Forces Railcard?

Sounds to me like another Government publicity stunt.

Anyone who's been in the military and passed basic training is my understanding. It's being done as part of the Armed Forces Covenant. Why do you think it's a publicity stunt?

nedchester

Established Member
Anyone who's been in the military and passed basic training is my understanding. It's being done as part of the Armed Forces Covenant. Why do you think it's a publicity stunt?

Because it is a publicity stunt, like many things this Government does.

What about other groups that have contributed to society e.g. The Police, Firefighters or Ambulance Crews? Perhaps nurses or doctors?

matt_world2004

Established Member
That is only for injured veterans who've sustained a certain level of physical or psychological injury in the line of duty and who receive either an ongoing War Disablement Pension at the rate for 20% disabled or more, or receive an ongoing guaranteed income payment under the newer Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (including dependents of).

Uninjured or 'only slightly injured' veterans don't receive the TFL Veterans Oyster card.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/veterans-oyster-photocard#on-this-page-2

The newly announced railcard covers all veterans (injured or not).
Oh probably a better deal getting a freedom pass in that case unless they live outside London.

freddie1729

More seriously though, how are TOCs expected to deal with this? They take on a franchise with an understanding of the fare revenue model, then a government Minister looking to score brownie points implements a policy like this that effectively cuts revenue. What redress do TOCs have?

It might not cut revenue. The discount might encourage more veterans to travel by train, thereby offsetting the discount.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Don't have a problem with this. Its a drop in the ocean compared to what the us government subsidises for its troops (Like trips to Disney world.)

SteveM70

Established Member
Don't have a problem with this. Its a drop in the ocean compared to what the us government subsidises for its troops (Like trips to Disney world.)

Another country doing something even more daft is hardly a justification

Dr Day

As I understand it, TOCs effectively get compensation for the remainder of the franchise for this kind of thing that wasn't in their franchise agreement. The TOCs and DfT will thrash out a deal on a settlement, making allowances for any new trips generated from the discounted fare as well as those trips which would have taken place anyway at the original fare.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

It is a publicity stunt, but not all publicity stunts are bad. Also, many people have difficulty agreeing with anything the Tories do. Boris Johnson could stand on the street corner handing out fivers and people would ask him why it wasn't a tenner.

Sure, it's a publicity stunt, and a vote-grabber, but I'm not going to begrudge veterans their third off or whatever.

Albion91

The government are offering this as a perk to people they employ, I do not see it to be any different from any other perk. Such as TOCs offering staff free leisure travel on their services.
Difference is that TOCs do that out of their own profit margins, but this is being paid for by taxpayers.

matt_world2004

Established Member
As I understand it, TOCs effectively get compensation for the remainder of the franchise for this kind of thing that wasn't in their franchise agreement. The TOCs and DfT will thrash out a deal on a settlement, making allowances for any new trips generated from the discounted fare as well as those trips which would have taken place anyway at the original fare.
Since there is a £10million cost this is in effect what's happening
Difference is that TOCs do that out of their own profit margins, but this is being paid for by taxpayers.
Like the soldier wages? And TOCs on concession agreements are having the fare of the staff paid for by taxpayers too.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It's not that hard to imagine a 'Nurses's Railcard' being proposed, and by extension an 'NHS Railcard' for health service employees...

nedchester

Established Member
It's not that hard to imagine a 'Nurses's Railcard' being proposed, and by extension an 'NHS Railcard' for health service employees...
Firefighters. Police as well? - They could be described as saving many lives and contribute to society as much (more) than former people who had a job in the military. Remember there is and has been for many years a H M Forces Railcard, which is why I say this is a Government gimmick smelling of 'popularism'

matt_world2004

Established Member
There is already an NHS discount card for retail and other discounts , a civil service discount card for civil service discounts, a blue light discount card for first response type roles within the emergency services (I believe it covers something like all police officers, paramedics and firefighters) these may not offer discounts on rail servixes but they do offer discounts on other things(I believe some TOCs recognise these as well)

matt_world2004

Established Member
Firefighters. Police as well? - They could be described as saving many lives and contribute to society as much (more) than former people who had a job in the military. Remember there is and has been for many years a H M Forces Railcard, which is why I say this is a Government gimmick smelling of 'popularism'
Police in London get free travel anyway and most TOCs would grant a police officer on duty free travel

AM9

Veteran Member
Police in London get free travel anyway and most TOCs would grant a police officer on duty free travel
So are you only arguing for a 'servicemans railcard to only be valid for on-duty travel'? If not, then your comment is irrelevant to the post's subject matter.

matt_world2004

Established Member
So are you only arguing for a 'servicemans railcard to only be valid for on-duty travel'? If not, then your comment is irrelevant to the post's subject matter.
Police in London get free travel on TfL services off duty.the atoc travel scheme can be used off duty.Costs are paid to ATOC by the MPS for membership in the travel scheme. The TfL section of the scheme there is no financial reimbursement

The atoc scheme is a taxable benefit the TfL one isn't.

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member

And of course a H M Forces Railcard already exists. I don't see why a benefit should be afforded because of a job you once had. Former Met Police don't get free off-duty travel for example.

Haywain

Veteran Member
They will have a miriad of different terms and conditions depending on the company and the join date of their staff.
The joining date is key. Safeguarded staff get much better benefits after retirement (or in some cases after leaving the industry) than ‘new entrants’ who joined later. All I will get on leaving (it will be retirement) is travel with my current TOC while they hold the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.