• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New ranger : Waterside Wanderer Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover

Based around Southampton it's valid from Romsey as far as Winchester and Burlesdon on the Fareham line plus the Hythe Ferry. Costs £13.50 adult
railrover.org
NRE

WATERSIDE WANDERER DAY RANGER​

Unlimited off-peak travel for one day centered around Southampton and extending from Romsey in the west to Winchester in the east and Bursledon in the south.

The Hythe Ferry between Hythe and Southampton Town Quay is also included as is the "Quayconnect" bus service between Southampton Central station and Southampton Town Quay. It is also valid on "Bluestar" bus routes 8 & 9 between Southampton, Hythe and Fawley.

information​

NRE website
new_window.png

SWR website
new_window.png

NRE route map
new_window.png

Ticket Issuing System details: name / code / group
Waterside Wander Ranger / WWR / I690 Waterside Wander

This ticket has restriction code B3
new_window.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

It's a bit weird that the railcard prices aren't a third off. Maybe that's to do with it being allowed on buses and ferries?

ajs

At first glance seems expensive but one return ticket on the Hythe Ferry is £7.50 - some concessions are available. It's a nice ride across the water.

A Challenge

Established Member
Why isn't it valid on Southern services, admittedly most don't stop before Swanwick out of Southampton but some do, including the rare via Eastleigh service.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why isn't it valid on Southern services, admittedly most don't stop before Swanwick out of Southampton but some do, including the rare via Eastleigh service.
Presumably Southern haven't agreed to accept the ticket and aren't getting any revenue from it. As you say, they don't run many relevant services in any case.

Dougal2345

This seems like a nice ticket for a day out when the weather gets warmer.

£11.80 (railcard) is quite expensive, but doing a couple of single journeys within the area with individual tickets - say, Soton-Hythe on the Blue Star bus (£5.80) then back to Soton on the ferry (£6.50) - would soon exceed that.

The choice of railway area seems a little bit eccentric - it cuts off very abruptly in the west. I would have thought that it would make sense to at least include Totton station, so that passengers getting the westbound bus from Southampton could instead get the train as far as Totton and change for the bus there.

On the other hand, Winchester is a long way north... it might have been more attractive to instead make the west/east boundaries Brockenhurst/Eastleigh, and incorporate the Blue Star 6 service from Southampton to Brock - this would bring non-rail-connected Lyndhurst into the validity area.

A shame that it can't be purchased as an add-on to a rail ticket into the area, the way a PlusBus ticket can.

Here's the PDF leaflet.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The really strange thing is including buses to Totton but not trains. It's hardly far to tack on from Redbridge, and the fare doesn't undercut. Nor is there another major operator as there would be with Swanwick. Very odd.

Dougal2345

Couple of questions about availability - the SWR site says "The Waterside Wanderer ticket is available from staffed ticket offices at any of the SWR stations shown on the ticket zone map, from the train guard, or it can be purchased in advance online directly from SWR at: https://bit.ly/SWR_Tickets and posted to you."

Can it be purchased in advance from stations or from guards? I can see it can be purchased in advance from the SWR site and posted, but that's a whopping £7.50 for postage, so I doubt many have been sold that way!

Is it strictly only available from ticket offices within the zone? I always had the impression that a ticket office anywhere can sell practically anything.

The reason I ask is that I was going to recommend it to someone living in the Hythe area, but if they can't actually set out in the morning (by bus or ferry) without paying to get to Southampton Central first to buy the ticket, it becomes fairly useless...

It's a shame it doesn't let you write the date in yourself on the day of use - this would make it more flexible.

I do wonder how easy it will be to obtain it on the train. For example, if I were to use one for a day out, I'd be heading in on the train from the Bournemouth direction, and before boarding would buy a ticket to Totton and pick up the bus there. But if one then has difficulty purchasing the Wanderer on board, it would be necessary to get an excess to Southampton to buy the ticket there - so more expensive and time-consuming.

Djgr

Established Member
I have done this Ranger.

Naturally the bus driver had no idea what it was.

BenS123

Sadly not - was just going to say I spotted that it was discontinued quietly when I tried to purchase one earlier :frown:

AY1975

Established Member
Sadly not - was just going to say I spotted that it was discontinued quietly when I tried to purchase one earlier :frown:
It's still listed in the Special Offers & Promotions section of the National Rail website and on the SWR site, but the SWR site doesn't give a price for it and if you click on Terms & Conditions it says withdrawn from 01/01/2023 until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.