• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The "end of SWT" supplement that was published by Modern Railways a couple of months back included a comment from Tim Shoveller about the sustained lack of infrastructure investment in the SWT/SWR region by NR. IIRC it was accompanied by a comment about the TOC (and its passengers) being the highest premium payer to the DfT.
Funny how he wasn't saying that the infrastructure when headed up "the Alliance". Then he was busy telling everyone how wonderful it was and turning up to PR events.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
SWR have made some amendments to some of the consultation timetables.

Including, since the local MAP got involved, three extra calls for Hook and Winchfield in the morning peak. Although they are before 07:35 and are instead of station calls at Farnborough and Fleet. Which still, overall, isn't as good as at present but does give an extra service in a current half hour gap between 06:30 and 07:00.

It's going to leave a big gap between the fairly busy services which arrive into Farnborough between 08:15 and 08:45 when a LOT of people get off the trains at Farnborough (often as many get off as get on), now although a significant number are from Fleet (and won't be subject to the she gap) there's not a small flow from Hook and Winchfield as those are the services that the students use. In addition there are a lot of people who work in Farnborough who use those services.

Anyway, it's worth checking to see if there's any updates.

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWR have made some amendments to some of the consultation timetables.

Including, since the local MAP got involved, three extra calls for Hook and Winchfield in the morning peak. Although they are before 07:35 and are instead of station calls at Farnborough and Fleet. Which still, overall, isn't as good as at present but does give an extra service in a current half hour gap between 06:30 and 07:00.

It's going to leave a big gap between the fairly busy services which arrive into Farnborough between 08:15 and 08:45 when a LOT of people get off the trains at Farnborough (often as many get off as get on), now although a significant number are from Fleet (and won't be subject to the she gap) there's not a small flow from Hook and Winchfield as those are the services that the students use. In addition there are a lot of people who work in Farnborough who use those services.

Anyway, it's worth checking to see if there's any updates.
I see they have also highlighted the main issues raised so far. It's good that they do seem to be taking the consultation seriously.

Established Member
I see they have also highlighted the main issues raised so far. It's good that they do seem to be taking the consultation seriously.
This has definitely made my morning seeing this. Hopefully they respond positively to other feedback from the consultation. They are doing a good job promoting it on their website and on their Twitter feed too.

There's a problem with the way SWR, SWT before and other TOCs report service disruptions, which if they changed their approach, might give the traveling public a better understanding of the way things work (or don't). SWR et al always apologise for service disruptions whether they are traction, crew or infrastructure. IMO they would be far better to say that "Network Rail are working on a solution to their points, track circuit failure, broken rail (insert infrastructure problem) while we (SWR) are working on a service solution" or some form of words that deflects the passengers' ire to the causal source.
I see that SWR Journey Check may have taken heed of my earlier comment above as today two announcements have the following - my bold.

"Alterations to services at Weymouth

Due to a points problem at Weymouth some lines are blocked.
What's Going On:
Train services running to and from this station may be delayed by up to 10 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
What We're Doing About It:
Network Rail who own and maintain the railway infrastructure have identified a problem with a set of points at Weymouth Station. The defect means we are unable to use platforms 2 and 3. Congestion may occur to some services arriving into Weymouth.
Network Rail are aware and staff are on site. Unfortunately, the nature of the defect means the points will not be fixed until tonight when the train services has finished.

To reduce the delays to trains, some services may have to be altered or revised at short notice. Some services may also be diverted via an alternative route" etc.

"Delays to services at Farnborough Main

Following a problem with a signal at Farnborough Main all London bound lines are now open.
What's Going On:
Train services running through this station may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 10:00 30/10.
The South Western Railway control room had received a report of an issue with a signal in the Farnborough area. The train had come to a stand whilst the driver and signaller ascertained the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
Network Rail who own and maintain the railway infrastructure have rectified the problem. All lines have now reopened and residual delays may occur." etc.

Established Member
Am I late in saying that today was the first time I got on an SWR train that had Celia Drummond on the automatic announcements saying 'Welcome aboard this South Western Railway service to London Waterloo only.' instead of 'Welcome aboard this South West Trains service to London Waterloo only.' - it's still the same script and recordings used otherwise, it's just even well into October I've still been hearing SWT. Today was the first time I heard SWR on it and it sounds like the exact same one used at the stations.

greaterwest

Established Member
Am I late in saying that today was the first time I got on an SWR train that had Celia Drummond on the automatic announcements saying 'Welcome aboard this South Western Railway service to London Waterloo only.' instead of 'Welcome aboard this South West Trains service to London Waterloo only.' - it's still the same script and recordings used otherwise, it's just even well into October I've still been hearing SWT. Today was the first time I heard SWR on it and it sounds like the exact same one used at the stations.
That's because it is the exact same recording used at the stations.

The Desiros have had the SWR announcement for the last month or so, did the rest of the fleet not follow suit until recently?

TheManBehind

U
I see that SWR Journey Check may have taken heed of my earlier comment above as today two announcements have the following - my bold.

"Alterations to services at Weymouth

Due to a points problem at Weymouth some lines are blocked.
What's Going On:
Train services running to and from this station may be delayed by up to 10 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Network Rail who own and maintain the railway infrastructure have identified a problem with a set of points at Weymouth Station. The defect means we are unable to use platforms 2 and 3. Congestion may occur to some services arriving into Weymouth.
Network Rail are aware and staff are on site. Unfortunately, the nature of the defect means the points will not be fixed until tonight when the train services has finished.

To reduce the delays to trains, some services may have to be altered or revised at short notice. Some services may also be diverted via an alternative route" etc.

"Delays to services at Farnborough Main

Following a problem with a signal at Farnborough Main all London bound lines are now open.
What's Going On:
Train services running through this station may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 10:00 30/10.
The South Western Railway control room had received a report of an issue with a signal in the Farnborough area. The train had come to a stand whilst the driver and signaller ascertained the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
Network Rail who own and maintain the railway infrastructure have rectified the problem. All lines have now reopened and residual delays may occur." etc.
Under discussion long before the franchise began as I understand it, at First Group level.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
On BBC teletext/red button, when you view the list of rail disruptions in the travel section, it still lists SWR as "South West Trains", even though the text of the disruptions refer correctly to SWR

TEW

Established Member
That's because it is the exact same recording used at the stations.

The Desiros have had the SWR announcement for the last month or so, did the rest of the fleet not follow suit until recently?
455s and 456s were done long before the Desiros were actually.

greaterwest

Established Member
I think they're doing it one by one it seems, because I have been going on different Desiros that are still saying SWT and some still saying SWR. I've seen a TOC do that gradually before but I forgot who, but it wasn't long ago....
Interesting, I've not heard SWT since mid-September. GWR took a while to update all the Turbos to GWR, and Southern stations were still announcing them as FGW well after they changed to GWR.

dorsetdesiro

Hi all, first post here.

My local station is Hamworthy in Dorset. I understand only one Class 444 train was rebranded (444040) with the SWR livery while the rest of 444's still have the SWT livery. I understand the 444 040 has the new "Welcome aboard the South Western Railway service to..." recording.

I took the train 3-4 times since the franchise changeover, I haven't so far had the full "SWR experience" which all the trains I were on were still in the SWT livery and I haven't seen the rebranded 444040 in the flesh yet.

The only two things of SWR I've heard and seen were the platform displays reading "SWR service to..." and Phil announcing "the 1701 South Western Railway service to London Waterloo, calling at..." then ending with the "1701 South Western Railway service to London Waterloo" then the train appeared two minutes later.

Phil's SWR recording took me by surprise at first because I forgot about the changeover, he had died recently and it was pretty loud that I can hear him better than Celia! Then I looked forward to seeing the train's arrival because of the new livery but every time so far the train was always clad in the usual SWT livery.

I got on the train, there was nothing on board referring to SWR, it was mostly unchanged which the on board displays had the "Weclome aboard this South West Trains service to" removed completely and only the station names scrolled along the screen then strangely followed by SWT's e-mail & Twitter addresses!

I assume the "Welcome aboard" part was removed on the SWT 444's avoiding confusion as SWT no longer exists, this probably will be updated with "Welcome aboard on this South Western Railway service to" once more 444's get done up in the new SWR livery like 444040 in due course.

TEW

Established Member
I think they're doing it one by one it seems, because I have been going on different Desiros that are still saying SWT and some still saying SWR. I've seen a TOC do that gradually before but I forgot who, but it wasn't long ago....
From what I understand units have to be updated with the new PIS scripts at depot. The same was done to upload the temporary PIS codes during the Waterloo Blockade. They can't all be done remotely overnight, so it can take a little while. The 455s and 456s definitely had the new scripts updated before the bulk of the Desiros though, but I believe 444040 was the first unit done.

Goldfish62

Established Member
455s and 456s were done long before the Desiros were actually.
Have the 458s been done yet? They're usually the last for everything. The only time that the company name is announced is once the train reaches the final destination.

Established Member
The 158s and 159s were announcing "South Western Railway" during October, but I didn't record on what date I first heard that. I travelled on a 458 just over a week ago and that also said SWR.

Established Member
Interesting, I've not heard SWT since mid-September. GWR took a while to update all the Turbos to GWR, and Southern stations were still announcing them as FGW well after they changed to GWR.
In fact this morning I actually remembered who it was that did it one-by-one - it was London Underground! On the Jubilee line last year, they added 'Doors will open on the x hand side' announcements similar to those on the Victoria line. However it was gradually rolled out across the fleet one by one, not on all trains at the same time.

Established Member
From what I understand units have to be updated with the new PIS scripts at depot. The same was done to upload the temporary PIS codes during the Waterloo Blockade. They can't all be done remotely overnight, so it can take a little while. The 455s and 456s definitely had the new scripts updated before the bulk of the Desiros though, but I believe 444040 was the first unit done.
Sorry for double posting guys, ooooh this is interesting. I've always been interested in how they actually update the PIS system. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be way off in the jungle somewhere with this (!), but is it the codes and scripts are on a USB that is then plugged into a data receiver on the PIS inside the driver's cab? It could explain why it's going one by one, but I have no clue.

Via Bank

Sorry for double posting guys, ooooh this is interesting. I've always been interested in how they actually update the PIS system. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be way off in the jungle somewhere with this (!), but is it the codes and scripts are on a USB that is then plugged into a data receiver on the PIS inside the driver's cab? It could explain why it's going one by one, but I have no clue.
I’d suspect an RS-232 cable or a floppy disk is more likely than a USB connection.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When they update the PIS can they just update just the bits that have been changed or do they have to download a fresh copy of everything?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I believe it's actually a compact flash card, at least it was last time I saw them update it when I was sitting the back cab passing back to depot.

Bornin1980s

I believe it's actually a compact flash card, at least it was last time I saw them update it when I was sitting the back cab passing back to depot.

Compact Flash? Those cards were common when the 458s and the early Desiros were new. Are they still on their original systems?

Harbouring

When they update the PIS do they have to do it just once per unit or in every user interface including the guards compartment?

TEW

Established Member
Compact Flash? Those cards were common when the 458s and the early Desiros were new. Are they still on their original systems?
The Desiros are on their original system and the 455s, 456s, 158s and 159s all have a very similar system to the Desiros installed.

Julia

Slightly OT, but there's at least one 365 which still says "Welcome aboard this West Anglia Great Northern service..."

greaterwest

Established Member
The Desiros are on their original system and the 455s, 456s, 158s and 159s all have a very similar system to the Desiros installed.
As I understand it, the system is exactly the same on the 455/456/158/159s, Siemens provide it for SWR to use on that stock.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Here's the first sneak peak at an Aventura in South Western Railway livery (official).

SouthWesternRailwayAventura.jpg

Domh245

Established Member
Here's the first sneak peak at an Aventura in South Western Railway livery (official).

A slightly fully sneak peak has been around for a while...

Screen-Shot-2017-09-06-at-17.17.58-768x435.png

Status
Not open for further replies.