• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station announcements - revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Recent travels have taken me to both London Victoria and Birmingham New Street, 2 stations which there have been threads on this forum about recently concerning new automated announcers.

At Victoria when I went through, it was still Phil Sayer's voice on the PA. I was under the impression that he was only back for the duration of the Olympics... Anyone know why he has been kept on later?

At Birmingham New Street, I heard the new system and it is absolutely dire. Completely unintelligible. And they missed several trains without announcing them (which I have never noticed to be an issue anywhere else which has automated announcements)...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The announcements at Victoria were reverted to the old DITRA (Phil) installation due to some teething issues with the new Amey system that was installed earlier in June. Although I've heard nothing concrete, I'd assume these issues are still awaiting fixing before the station returns to the new system (or they've chosen to wait till after the Paralympics).

The new Atos system at Birmingham New Street also seems to have teething issues, I noticed when I was there recently it failed to announce a couple of trains and was missing TOC names and not offering delay/cancellation reasons.

sparks2000

At Kings Cross and Euston this week I am sure I heard "text to speech" announcements from an automated system. E.g. the announcements about "a good service". When were these systems introduced? Some of the intonation is very jarring but amazingly improved over similar systems from the past.

PR1Berske

Established Member
If you concentrate on the woman (Alice??) at Manchester Picadilly, the 'inserts' using a different voice entirely have somehow become more obvious than ever!

pemma

Veteran Member
If you concentrate on the woman (Alice??) at Manchester Picadilly, the 'inserts' using a different voice entirely have somehow become more obvious than ever!

You mean like:

Platform 7 for the 15:05 CrossCountry service to Bristol Temple Meads?

They need completely re-recording at Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Lime Street. However, probably the April 2014 timetable change will now be the best time to re-record with the franchise renewals and recasts due to happen.

Bungle73

On Moderation
They recently changed the announcements at Sittingbourne station from what sounded like a "human" to what now sounds like a robot. I prefer to the old ones; I don't get why they changed it.

It also,for some reason, doesn't seem to have a "the train now standing at platform..." message in its programming, so what you get is "The train now approaching platform 3 is the 15:40 to Sheerness" when the train has been sitting at the platform for the past ten minutes! :?

PR1Berske

Established Member
You mean like:

Platform 7 for the 15:05 CrossCountry service to Bristol Temple Meads?

They need completely re-recording at Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Lime Street. However, probably the April 2014 timetable change will now be the best time to re-record with the franchise renewals and recasts due to happen.

That's the one

"Platform 13 for the 12:05 East Midlands Trains Service to Norwich"

or my particular favourite "...Bolton, Chorley, Buck Shore Par Kway Leyland......"

Essexman

Established Member
Am I correct that Fenchurch Street is the only London terminus not to use automated announcements?

user15681

Established Member
They recently changed the announcements at Sittingbourne station from what sounded like a "human" to what now sounds like a robot. I prefer to the old ones; I don't get why they changed it.

It also,for some reason, doesn't seem to have a "the train now standing at platform..." message in its programming, so what you get is "The train now approaching platform 3 is the 15:40 to Sheerness" when the train has been sitting at the platform for the past ten minutes! :?

I noticed this too a while back, sort of July time when it was introduced. The same 'robot' voice is at other SE stations, although Faversham has a different new announcer, but it actually sounds human.

EM2

Established Member
and East Midlands Trains platforms...
Er, no. My colleagues and I do announcements on East Midlands platforms.
Southeastern may have changed recently, I know they had the Boris announcements which weren't on EMT and the common areas. They tend to keep themselves to themselves, they don't tend to associate with the likes of us :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That's the one

"Platform 13 for the 12:05 East Midlands Trains Service to Norwich"

or my particular favourite "...Bolton, Chorley, Buck Shore Par Kway Leyland......"

Same happens at Sheffield for Liverpool South Parkway, presume it is because it is a new station. Makes me laugh though every time.

Real humans do sometimes make announcements at London Blackfriars, but most of the time they seem to be automated.

The problem is that the announcements aren't in phase between the platform 1 side and platforms 2, 3 & 4 side giving a very unpleasant echo effect. In addition, the same announcement is often made using the male voice on one platform and the female voice on the others, giving a rather weird effect.

Finally, we still get told to stand behind the yellow line, when there isn't one on any of the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.