• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Purple Train

Established Member
The Friends of Bristol Suburban Railways support (re)opening the nearby Coalpit Heath station, having concluded there are problems with the site at Winterbourne. See: https://fosbr.org.uk/coalpit-heath-station/

They concluded that at either location there would be a need for passing loops (given this is on the busy section of the line shared by GWR's South Wales services as well as the Gloucester-Bristol line). Aside from whether the demand exists (and the relative proximity, for those driving to the station, of Bristol Parkway and Yate), the cost of loops must be a killer - and that assumes that they would actually mitigate the capacity / timetabling issues.

As a complete aside, the FoSBR article quotes locals canvassed in the village. The "mixed" views are almost all negative... I love this response: "There are already too many trains running too fast along the viaduct at the end of my garden, the electric ones are just as noisy as the diesel trains."
Indeed, Winterbourne would be a total non-starter. I'd love to see a new station at Coalpit Heath, as going by road anywhere vaguely close to the centre of Bristol is a lost cause. The buses in the area are also utterly dreadful, which might also help to push up local support.

Coalpit Heath would also work better as it is further away from Parkway, and, even if you could build a station without passing loops at Winterbourne, say in the cutting, access would also be a bit of a nightmare. The downside with Coalpit Heath is that the railway runs along the southern border of the village, so isn't as useful in that regard as a station would be at Winterbourne, where the railway cuts the village in two... sort of.

The other factor to be considered in a potential Coalpit Heath station would be passengers from the likes of Bromley Heath, south of the motorway. I could potentially see people from the outer suburbs driving to Coalpit Heath, but given the nature of the station's surroundings, building a Park & Ride may not go down well with the locals.

Either way, there are enough issues with the proposals - i.e. they're not a nailed-on no-losses problem-busting genius idea - that any stations in the north-east of Bristol (given there is the A4174, which gives rise to enough connections without the issues of trying to actually drive into Bristol) would have to take priority behind projects such as Portishead and Henbury. Which, in the world of Bristol suburban railways, means that, for the elderly population, who may perhaps have more reliance on public transport, the benefits of such a scheme may well not affect them.

In short, I think that, even with the current economic climate on the railways (no money to swing a cat, let alone room), a wealth of new projects will see the light of day before Coalpit Heath or Winterbourne is even thought about.

My favourite response was the one that went, "we should stop funding public transport and fix all the potholes before I break my axle"!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wronskian

Looks like Thanet Parkway had its official opening ceremony today, judging from the YouTube postings! Not sure why there was such a gap compared to some of the other recent openings.

snowball

Established Member
Looks like Thanet Parkway had its official opening ceremony today, judging from the YouTube postings! Not sure why there was such a gap compared to some of the other recent openings.
There's a press release about it on the NR website.

fandroid

Established Member
Cottam Parkway has apparently received planning permission according to the BBC
BBC News - Plans for £24m Preston rail station approved
They do cast doubt on early construction as there are apparently still land ownership issues to be resolved

Another BBC report enigmatically describes how Rotherham Council are potentially seeking to buy land to facilitate a new main station in the town
BBC News - Rotherham Council plans to buy land for new train station

Baz2000

HI all just a Quick Question please is there any update new ref the New Camphill line rail stations in South Birmingham and is there any news ref Kings Norton rail station regarding rebuilding etc thanks.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
HI all just a Quick Question please is there any update new ref the New Camphill line rail stations in South Birmingham and is there any news ref Kings Norton rail station regarding rebuilding etc thanks.
Discussion here for Camp Hill line. Kings Norton is discussed somewhere, but as an existing station I don't take notes.

Brent Cross West: Date for potential opening changed to Sunday 10 December (was 16 October), as per a post in the linked thread for the station.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Headbolt Lane has entered the Manana zone. Details of a revised opening date are awaited. A PIS would say 'delayed' rather than 'due in 2 days'.

Edvid

Established Member
You know, I'd say mañana is the perfect word for station openings in general. :lol:

Since approval Brent Cross West has slipped by 19 months thus far, but in the context of the associated regeneration project it'll still be delivered 7ish years earlier than originally planned.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
You know, I'd say mañana is the perfect word for station openings in general. :lol:

Since approval Brent Cross West has slipped by 19 months thus far, but in the context of the associated regeneration project it'll still be delivered 7ish years earlier than originally planned.
It is, as they say, no way to run a railway. :lol:

I understand 'accentuate the positive and play down the negative' but when that becomes simply ignore anything which isn't positive it has gone to far. People should be kept informed in a timely manner.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Chelmsford Beaulieu Park says “hello”

Farigiraf

Will you add Polesworth Parkway? Station is due for an upgrade soon enough but DfT or whoever would rather build a completely new station with a huge carpark

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Will you add Polesworth Parkway? Station is due for an upgrade soon enough but DfT or whoever would rather build a completely new station with a huge carpark
In short no. Nor Kingsbury, Nuneaton Parkway, Rugby Parkway or Warwick University. Galley Common at least made it as far as a (unsuccessful) Restoring Your Railway bid.

In longer. Has the proposal progressed beyond being a few lines in the Warwickshire Rail Strategy, approved in 2020? There is reference there to a feasibility study. Has that been undertaken? A quick internet search reveals not a lot. Wikipedia has reference to the Draft Rail Strategy (2019).

When there is a contractual completion date, preferably with boots on the ground I get very interested. Before that I may get a bit interested if there is confirmed funding and/or a planning approval and/or railway industry approvals. Less than that and it is an entry alongside the 600 or so other 'potential' new stations.

Headbolt Lane officially announced as opening on Thursday 5 October. See the linked thread for the press release etc. Yes, for the cynics, 2023. :lol:

Thursday 5th:
Headbolt Lane moved to 'opened'
All the Northumberland Line stations edited to 'under construction', some are at preparatory stage (ground remediation and such).
Loudoun Square renamed to Butetown and edited to 'under construction'.
Darlaston and Willenhall edited to 'under construction' but I have no idea how much and how quickly!
Manchester Airport (HS2) removed. I'll wait and see what Network North (including the whole of England as well) comes up with before reconsidering.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
And although the Met Office goes by calendar months, others count spring as between the spring equinox and the summer solstice - the Edinburgh tram extension was advertised as opening in spring but finally opened a few days before the solstice.

I suspect few people consider mid-June as spring, whatever side of the solstice it is. All the hallmarks of spring, daffodils, bluebells and the like, even hawthorn, are long gone by then.

Mid-June is only a month and a half to August, and when you get into August the year is getting old and spring seems a distant memory.

Farigiraf

Considering Merseyrail have already put up signs with Liverpool Baltic in place (with a sticker over it for now), would it be reasonable to move it from 'proposed' to 'going to happen, not started yet' (worded better)? Proposals like Wixams say it's confirmed every year or so and it's usually nothing but actual signage is as much of a confirmation before shovels in the ground as you can get (Elizabeth line stickers were only put up nearing to the end, and the infrastructure was already mostly built at that point).

Willenhall and Darlaston have no dates set but WMR and the authority emphasise connection with HS2 so 2027-28 is probably around what they want to aim for (considering it's already in construction I'd think it'd be earlier), but until official information is out better not state anything.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Considering Merseyrail have already put up signs with Liverpool Baltic in place (with a sticker over it for now), would it be reasonable to move it from 'proposed' to 'going to happen, not started yet' (worded better)? Proposals like Wixams say it's confirmed every year or so and it's usually nothing but actual signage is as much of a confirmation before shovels in the ground as you can get (Elizabeth line stickers were only put up nearing to the end, and the infrastructure was already mostly built at that point).

Willenhall and Darlaston have no dates set but WMR and the authority emphasise connection with HS2 so 2027-28 is probably around what they want to aim for (considering it's already in construction I'd think it'd be earlier), but until official information is out better not state anything.

What is the difference between 'proposed' and 'going to happen, not started yet', however worded? Lots of things are definitely going to happen, then they don't. Ask the people in Whitmore Heath (Staffordshire) who sold their desirable houses to HS2! Ask the people who bought properties near Beam Park on the basis of there being a new station as part of the development. There are a couple of discussions earlier in the thread about why certain stations are included and others aren't. Basically: history of the thread.

Liverpool Baltic sits in the section headed 'other proposals being progressed'. It is a proposal, it is being progressed. As far as I can tell, Liverpool Baltic does not have a planning application (or a deemed consent consultation) submitted. I could be wrong, Liverpool City Council are one of those authorities who like to make a planning search difficult - you have to already know the application number to search for the application, or play guess the street, rather than having a clickable map.

Liverpool Baltic: Wikipedia states: Construction is expected to start in 2024, and the station would be open around three years later.

Willenhall and Darlaston: the previous statement was "Planning applications for the two stations were formally submitted in March 2020 and were granted permission in October 2020. It is currently planned that the station will reopen to passengers in 2023". Like so many things nowadays, people like to scream the good news from the rooftops but go mysteriously silent when completion dates slip!

Wixams: bumbles along slowly, it might get there.

SargeNpton

Established Member
What is the difference between 'proposed' and 'going to happen, not started yet', however worded? Lots of things are definitely going to happen, then they don't. Ask the people in Whitmore Heath (Staffordshire) who sold their desirable houses to HS2! Ask the people who bought properties near Beam Park on the basis of there being a new station as part of the development. There are a couple of discussions earlier in the thread about why certain stations are included and others aren't. Basically: history of the thread.

Liverpool Baltic sits in the section headed 'other proposals being progressed'. It is a proposal, it is being progressed. As far as I can tell, Liverpool Baltic does not have a planning application (or a deemed consent consultation) submitted. I could be wrong, Liverpool City Council are one of those authorities who like to make a planning search difficult - you have to already know the application number to search for the application, or play guess the street, rather than having a clickable map.

Liverpool Baltic: Wikipedia states: Construction is expected to start in 2024, and the station would be open around three years later.

Willenhall and Darlaston: the previous statement was "Planning applications for the two stations were formally submitted in March 2020 and were granted permission in October 2020. It is currently planned that the station will reopen to passengers in 2023". Like so many things nowadays, people like to scream the good news from the rooftops but go mysteriously silent when completion dates slip!

Wixams: bumbles along slowly, it might get there.
Liverpool Baltic is being actively progressed by the various interested bodies, within and outside the rail industry. Probably the only thing that will prevent it from being built is if the local authorities up that way follow Birmingham into bankruptcy.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Liverpool Baltic is being actively progressed by the various interested bodies, within and outside the rail industry. Probably the only thing that will prevent it from being built is if the local authorities up that way follow Birmingham into bankruptcy.
Being 'actively progressed' (by an official body, not a campaign group) is what gets a persons favourite new station proposal into that second table at #1. Being lethargically progressed, or just being an idea floating around, gains relegation to the third division of 'the other 600+'. I did think it good form to put the successful 'New Stations Fund' 'Restoring your Railway' stations into that second table, even though some of them have little chance of happening. I'm just waiting for their business cases to be officially binned so I can relegate them. But like negative completion date news, that just doesn't seem to happen, they just linger. Now that cash from the HS2 money tree is sloshing around who knows what might get the go-ahead which sensible people thought was a no-hoper!

CORRECTION:
I meant successful bids to the 'New Stations Fund' not all the potential stations in 'Restoring your Railway' bids progressing.

Last edited:

LLivery

Established Member

There was an update on those Willenhall and Darlaston on the 9th Oct:

The development of two new railway stations on the Walsall to Wolverhampton line can continue following a deal with a new contractor.
Ground preparation works on both the Willenhall and Darlaston railway station sites was paused last month after the main construction contractor Buckingham Group went into administration in August. Kier, a leading UK infrastructure services, construction and property group, has since acquired the Group’s rail contracts.
So Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), which is part of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA), is leading the project, has reached agreement with Kier to continue the development – meaning work can now resume.
When complete the new stations will give the communities of Willenhall and Darlaston direct access to the rail network for the first time since the 1960s, offering services to Walsall, Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

Access to convenient public transport is a crucial part of the region’s #WM2041 plan to achieve net zero over the next two decades. It will also act as a catalyst for investment, helping to unlock sites along the line for commercial, industrial and residential development.

An update on the project will be presented to the WMCA Board on Friday (13 October). The pause in work and refresh of the construction contract following the takeover means that both the budget and timescales for completion will be revised following a detailed review over the coming weeks and months.

Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands and WMCA Chair, said: “For Buckingham Group staff who were working on Willenhall and Darlaston stations, the last few weeks have understandably been a difficult time.

“That’s why it’s great news that we will see many of them back on site now that we have reached agreement with Kier. We wanted any pause or disruption in works to be kept to an absolute minimum and we worked closely with Kier to resolve this matter swiftly.

“Most importantly of all for residents right across our region, this means we can now get on with delivering these railway stations - providing the better transport connectivity that local people in Willenhall and Darlaston want to see.”

The project is being led by TfWM and the West Midlands Rail Executive in partnership with Walsall Council, West Midlands Railways, Network Rail and the Department for Transport.

Cllr Mike Bird, leader of Walsall Council and WMCA portfolio holder for transport, said: “Although there have been a difficult few weeks on site we can now look ahead with renewed enthusiasm. This will not only offer local people easy access to the railways, it will make Willenhall and Darlaston more attractive to investors and businesses, creating regeneration opportunities and new jobs for locals.

“This is why it is vital we get back to work at the earliest opportunity.”

Joe Incutti, group managing director, Kier Transportation, added: “We’re pleased that the contract novation for the Willenhall and Darlaston station projects has been completed, following our acquisition of parts of the Buckingham Group. We can now remobilise the team and continue our work on this important project.

“Connecting people is our common goal in Kier Transportation. We are therefore delighted to be working with West Midlands Combined Authority on this project, and to have the opportunity to build an enduring relationship with the authority to support its ambitions in the region."

Two trains per hour will call at the new stations, an hourly service between Walsall and Wolverhampton and an hourly service between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton.

Baz2000

HI all is there any update regarding stations on the Camphill line in south Birmingham, seems to been quite the last few months , e.g. building work etc, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
An article from the Northwich and Winsford Guardian about progress with the reopening of Beeston Castle & Tarporley (between Crewe and Chester). Said to be possibly going ahead "soon'". https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk...=f9a2c12aaef6179bbcfc3782f5050d74&date=311023
I'm not so sure that this is the 'resounding yes' implied by the article (see extract below).

The most recent information was "in May 2022 the Reopening Group submitted a Feasibility, and Preliminary Business Case to the Department of Transport for approval with a response expected in the Autumn of that year". There have been no updates since.

"I want to thank the Station Reopening Group for the exemplary commitment and meticulous technical planning that has resulted in a resounding ‘yes’ from the Government at a time when infrastructure funding is so fiercely fought for.”

Beeston and Tarporley Station Reopening Group is delighted to announce it has received notice from the Department for Transport (DfT) that it has officially approved the reinstatement of Beeston and Tarporley Station.

"Together we will develop a delivery plan based on the proposals in the OBC which will include the detailed design and financing package.”
I think the next stage is Full Business Case.

I have added a link to the closed thread discussing the station at #1. Discussion here for your convenience.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
An article from the Northwich and Winsford Guardian about progress with the reopening of Beeston Castle & Tarporley (between Crewe and Chester). Said to be possibly going ahead "soon'". https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk...=f9a2c12aaef6179bbcfc3782f5050d74&date=311023

I understood it had not been accepted through the RYR process.

Although with this Government, who knows.

I think the next stage is Full Business Case.

Next stage is to do a proper Strategic Outline Business Case.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Beeston & Tarporley has been approved according by Government according to this BBC article, albeit they are quoting The Beeston and Tarporley Station Reopening Group (BTSRG) on said funding rather than the Government itself: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-67274902

Note the comment about now having to work on a finance package
"Plan to reopen Cheshire station shut by Beeching axe approved

Plans to reopen a station which was shut in 1966 have been approved by the government, a campaign group has said

Beeston Castle and Tarporley Station in Cheshire was shut as part of the restructuring that took place across Great Britain in the 1960s.

The Beeston and Tarporley Station Reopening Group (BTSRG) said it was "delighted" its three-year campaign had been successful.

MP Edward Timpson, who backed the plan, said it was a "significant" moment.

The station on the Crewe to Chester line first opened in 1840, when it was known as Beeston.

It was one of more than 2,300 stations axed in the 1960s following the publication of the Beeching report, which also saw about 5,000 miles of track closed.

The report's aim was to cut the debts of the nationalised British Rail by removing duplicated routes and closing the least-used branch lines.

Campaigners welcomed the "pivotal step" in connecting central Cheshire

In 2020, the then-Transport Secretary Grant Shapps launched a government fund to help to restore some of those lines.

BTSRG chairman Michael Flynn said the Department for Transport's (DfT) decision to approve the reopening of Beeston Castle and Tarporley was "significant" and represented "a pivotal
step towards enhancing the connectivity of our area to the regional and national railway network".

He said it had been "a long haul to reach this point" and thanked local people, stakeholders and councillors who had participated in the process.

Mr Timpson, the Conservative MP for Eddisbury, said the group's "exemplary commitment and meticulous technical planning" had resulted in "a resounding 'yes' from the government at a time when infrastructure funding is so fiercely fought for".

"To have opened up the rail network to our central Cheshire communities is a significant achievement," he added.

"It's been over 57 years since Beeston Castle and Tarporley Station served local residents and businesses and we will soon place it - quite literally - back on the track."

The BTSRG said it would now work with Transport for the North, Cheshire West and Chester and Cheshire East Councils, Network Rail and Transport for Wales to develop a delivery plan, detailed design and financing package.

The DfT has been contacted for comment."

The Facebook group which has pressurised for the reopening is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/748742379233545

They have stated that TfW have contributed to the business case and will serve the station and that (as you would expect) Avanti won't. A few doubting Thomases in the local community are questioning whether the funding is actually in place.

Their press release attached. Wish them good luck. Still quite a few hurdles to jump.

Attachments

• 396944244_6915812661775273_8463853666612451435_n.jpg
    396944244_6915812661775273_8463853666612451435_n.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I understood it had been accepted through the RYR process.

Although with this Government, who knows.

Next stage is to do a proper Strategic Outline Business Case.
So not even as 'advanced' as I thought! A preliminary business case submitted June 2022 pre Strategic Outline Business Case.

For those without time to study these things, this is the classification of schemes used by DfT in their 2022 update on Restoring Your Railway proposals:
Unsuccessful Bids to the Ideas Fund
Schemes Not Progressing to Delivery Under RYR;
Schemes Developing to SOBC;
Schemes Progressing Past SOBC;
Schemes Being Delivered.

To read the Facebook page you would think persons in hi-vis, diggers and concrete mixers were parked at the gates 0600 this morning!

The press release contains a contact link at the bottom where copies of 'the DfT approval letter' can be obtained. Anyone fancy asking?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So not even as 'advanced' as I thought! A preliminary business case submitted June 2022 pre Strategic Outline Business Case.

For those without time to study these things, this is the classification of schemes used by DfT in their 2022 update on Restoring Your Railway proposals:
Unsuccessful Bids to the Ideas Fund
Schemes Not Progressing to Delivery Under RYR;
Schemes Developing to SOBC;
Schemes Progressing Past SOBC;
Schemes Being Delivered.

To read the Facebook page you would think persons in hi-vis, diggers and concrete mixers were parked at the gates 0600 this morning!

The press release contains a contact link at the bottom where copies of 'the DfT approval letter' can be obtained. Anyone fancy asking?

A rather shocking typo on my part, for which I apologise, as now I have corrected it the whole meaning of my post is reversed.

I understood the proposal had not been accepted!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A rather shocking typo on my part, for which I apologise, as now I have corrected it the whole meaning of my post is reversed.

I understood the proposal had not been accepted!
Funded for further studies, which is what (I assume) paid for the feasibility and preliminary business case, produced by Arup, submitted back in April 2022. Other than a large number of media articles, all clearly based upon the press release issued by the re-opening group on the 30th, I can't see any detail as to what has been 'approved' recently.