• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station: Maghull North

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
Automated announcement on the station this morning announcing the train length, destination calling points etc. First time I've heard Anne on Merseyrail (And she can't pronounce Maghull properly)
For those of us not in the area, how does the announcement pronounce it, and how should it be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I have just used the GWR website to look up journey options between Preston and Liverpool for this coming Friday.

One of these options is routed via Ormskirk. When looking at the calling points, there is a calling point of "Maidenhead (For Eton Dorney)" between Town Green and Maghull stations. Obviously this is meant to be Maghull North. Has the GWR data for station codes become corrupted?

causton

Established Member
I have just used the GWR website to look up journey options between Preston and Liverpool for this coming Friday.

One of these options is routed via Ormskirk. When looking at the calling points, there is a calling point of "Maidenhead (For Eton Dorney)" between Town Green and Maghull stations. Obviously this is meant to be Maghull North. Has the GWR data for station codes become corrupted?
Probably does just not have Maghull North in, and looks for the next/closest item which is this old description of Maidenhead (from the 2012 Olympics?).
Or, the CRS code for Maghull North was previously used internally by the journey planner for the old Maidenhead description.

Similar issue at the moment, The Two Together railcard has disappeared from the list of Railcards on the computers at work to sell a new one!
However if you type 2TR it comes up, but the computer says it is a Senior Railcard (as that is the previous one in the list) - but it lets you add the second name and photocard number and prints as a Two Together.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Similarly perhaps RTT doesn't recognise the three letter code MNS while having "Maghull North Station" as a calling point.

Established Member
I went up to Maghull North this afternoon, it looks really good.

Also, does anyone know the distance between Maghull North and Maghull please?

louis97

Established Member
Maghull North is at 8 miles 16 chains. This makes the distance to Maghull 67 chains, Maghull being at 7 miles 29 chains.

InOban

Established Member
We had a discussion on this a few months ago, can't remember the thread title. Bonkers. No-one under 50 was taught the imperial measurements at school. All other measurements around the track - gauge, clearances,etc -are all metric.

We had a discussion on this a few months ago, can't remember the thread title. Bonkers. No-one under 50 was taught the imperial measurements at school. All other measurements around the track - gauge, clearances,etc -are all metric.

Oh yes, I don't agree with it although it's sometimes nice to hang on to things from the past it does make confusion easy! I teach biology so we obviously look at SI units but there is such a mish-mash in the UK that pupils still all talk of being 5 feet tall and doing 50mph.

geoffk

Established Member
Oh yes, I don't agree with it although it's sometimes nice to hang on to things from the past it does make confusion easy! I teach biology so we obviously look at SI units but there is such a mish-mash in the UK that pupils still all talk of being 5 feet tall and doing 50mph.
I think the UK light rail systems are all metric, although speed restriction signs on Manchester Metrolink are in mph. Tyne &.Wear Metro is metric, except on the Sunderland line, shared with National Rail, where both systems are used. A typical British muddle.

TheSel

Easy to remember - a chain is the length of a cricket pitch.

(And before anyone says we don't use cricket references on the railway - think 'Bat and Ball'!)

SodTheDrummer

What's a chain? Can't somebody translate into internationally recognised measurements?
A chain is a well established unit of measurement, albeit not used much outside the railway industry nowadays. When I joined this forum, I didn't know this either, (and there's still a hell of a lot I don't know - this forum contains a huge wealth of knowledge) but I looked it up! :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_(unit)

Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Used the station every day this week and I haven't heard them since Tuesday morning so seem to have stopped as soon as they started

Avoiding annoying the neighbours?

We can all write the Echo story: 'Hard pressed residents DEAFENED by new station announcements: residents say that station announcements from newly opened station at Maghull North are keeping them awake: 'I work night shifts and imagine my horror when announcements are made at this station during the day' said Fred Grumpy, 78....'

Status
Not open for further replies.