• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New stations - Willenhall and Darlaston (between Wolverhampton and Bescot Stadium)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
According to page 7 of this West Midlands Trains track access application, Willenhall and Darlaston stations are to re-open / be re-built. I've not seen any mention of this on this forum. Is this the first time, since the withdrawal of non-stop Wolverhampton to Walsall services, that passenger trains not running non-stop to central Birmingham will run on this line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smethwickian

For all practical purposes, since the withdrawal of the hourly daily shuttle between Wolverhampton and Walsall, yes.
Technically, no, as the solitary 0638 Saturdays only direct from Wolverhampton to Walsall is retained presumably for route knowledge and possibly as a Parliamentary service over the Portobello Junction to Darlaston Junction curve. However, this train often seems to be cancelled for engineering works or diverted via the Stour Valley and Soho.

bluenoxid

Established Member
In the same place as the Camp Hill Line. Nice ideas, in all the plans but needing money. I hope that the mayor can assist with pushing them forward.

Jamm

I believe the funding for those stations has been confirmed back in March and it was stated that the funding comes out of the HS2 local connectivity package.

To be honest, I'm surprised this gets more priority than camp hill chord.

Marvin

To be honest, I'm surprised this gets more priority than camp hill chord.

It's considerably easier to achieve, given that it only requires two new stations. Camp Hill requires three or four new stations, a new platform at Moor Street and an entirely new connection into Moor Street over land the railway doesn't own.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The relevant quote from that document in case it disappears:

An additional hourly service will be provided between Birmingham New St and Shrewsbury, from 07:00 to 19:49 (general departure pattern for WMT services from New St to Shrewsbury will be departures at xx.49 and xx.00). One of these two services per hour will be routed via the Derby lines / Proof House Jn and through Aston, Bescot, Portobello Jn to Wolverhampton. This is to permit future calls at new stations at Willenhall and Darlaston upon their opening.

In the opposite direction two WMT services per hour will depart from Shrewsbury to Birmingham New St at xx:15 and xx:41. Again, one of these services per hour will be routed via Bescot to permit future calls at Willenhall and Darlaston.

So basically the 2nd New Street - Shrewsbury service will be routed via Bescot instead of going via Sandwell, two more stations "under the wires" which sounds like they will be mostly served by diesels.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This doesn't seem a sensible way to do it, as it means the service is still only effectively hourly as the two trains from New St are too close together in time.

thenorthern

Established Member
Reopening Willenhall station was an aspiration for Centro before the services were withdrawn in 2008.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It might do, but wasn't one of the aims of going half hourly to drop stops from that and stop it being crowded out with English passengers?

Which stops would you remove from the ATW service though? Smethwick Galton Bridge is a debatable one but you can't drop Wolves or Telford. Presumably though the new Sunday WMT service alluded to in the pdf sees the end of the 2-hourly ATW all-stations shuttle though.

Edit - I got the impression this new service was to up the service to half-hourly at the likes of Codsall and Shifnal (and presumably Bilbrook and perhaps Albrighton) and give Telford the third train an hour it desperately deserves.

Class 170101

Established Member
I'm surprised that West Midlands Trains don't just reverse the Walsall terminators and head to Wolverhampton to cover these stations with Electric Trains. The 2/3 carriage DMUs will be overloaded with passengers from Shrewsbury etc.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I reckon you could drop Telford, or make it u/s (so only for travelling to/from Wales).

You see I would disagree: one of the biggest towns in England with a reasonable catchment area and nearing a million passengers deserves much more than it gets at present, and not some awkward and pointless restricted calls on a Welsh service. If one of the 'local' calls should go it would be Wellington all day long before you even considered Telford. Absolute madness for it not to benefit in any meaningful way from this new service.

B&I

Established Member
I'm surprised that West Midlands Trains don't just reverse the Walsall terminators and head to Wolverhampton to cover these stations with Electric Trains. The 2/3 carriage DMUs will be overloaded with passengers from Shrewsbury etc.

Yes, the operational inconvenience of reversing at Walsall would surely be outweighed by the benefits of a direct connection to it from Wolverhampton and the new stations

tomuk

Established Member
Does the Wales service fill the gap?

Unless the ATW service is retimed. The departures would be as follows:

Birmingham to Shrewsbury
xx.00 - WMT - Sandwell & Dudley, Wolverhampton, Codsall, Shifnal, Telford Central, Wellington
xx.25 - ATW - Smethwick Galton Bridge, Wolverhampton, Telford Central, Wellington
xx.49 - WMT - Bescot?, Darlaston, Willenhall, Wolverhampton, Bilbrook, Codsall, Albrighton, Cosford, Shifnal, Telford Central, Oakengates, Wellington

Shrewsbury to Birmingham
xx.15 - WMT - Wellington, Telford Central, Shifnal, Codsall, Wolverhampton, Willenhall, Darlaston, Bescot?
xx.33 - ATW - Wellington, Telford Central, Wolverhampton, Smethwick Galton Bridge
xx.41 - WMT - Wellington, Oakengates , Telford Central, Shifnal, Cosford, Albrighton, Codsall, Bilbrook, Wolverhampton, Sandwell & Dudley

I think that the stops are right so that the services don't get stuck behind each other.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
That xx.00 isn't going to be far behind the xx.49 and the xx.33 will still be a better option than the xx.15. Why would they miss out Wolves? they have to go through there anyway and Crane St and the station is 15mph.

tomuk

Established Member
That xx.00 isn't going to be far behind the xx.49 and the xx.33 will still be a better option than the xx.15. Why would they miss out Wolves? they have to go through there anyway and Crane St and the station is 15mph.

Sorry my mistake all services stop at Wolverhampton. I see what you mean about the xx.00. There are issues now with the xx.05 slow being caught up by the xx.25 at Telford.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sorry my mistake all services stop at Wolverhampton. I see what you mean about the xx.00. There are issues now with the xx.05 slow being caught up by the xx.25 at Telford.

Crazy idea, have the XX:00 terminate into the bay at Wellington allowing the XX:25 to overtake

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
An extra train to Shrewsbury sounded like good news, but sending it round the Grand Junction houses rather defeats the idea.
Maybe it allows Shrewsbury trains to run in a circle through New St to save reversals.

Somewhat off topic, but what's the major work going on at Telford Central?
Is it for something useful like a platform loop?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
New footbridge. Not sure why Telford would need a loop.

Well it's too small for its usage, while all the flexibility (space, loops, bay platforms) is down the road at the much quieter Wellington.
Maybe not a loop to park stoppers, but a station upgrade is needed.
It's rather like a smaller version of Bristol Parkway, inadequate from the day it was built.
Maybe the new footbridge is part of this.

tomuk

Established Member
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but this interesting article in Express and Star has appeared. It states that the the new stations will be served half hourly
1tph diverting Crewe - Stoke - Birmingham onto the Wolverhampton to Walsall line and then to New Street via Tame Bridge
1tph Wolverhampton - Walsall shuttle.

Rail bosses have agreed a timetable for the Walsall to Wolverhampton line, which could open in 2022 and will include stops at new stations in Willenhall and Darlaston.
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2020/06/13/timetable-agreed-for-new-rail-route/

djpontrack

That’s good news. I always thought it was ridiculous going via New St when there is a direct line there that is up to passenger standards as it is used for diversions. Two new stations is good for locals as it will open up more travel opportunities and two more shacks for me to visit. :D:D

py_megapixel

Established Member
This article suggests that a new Wolverhampton to Walsall service will be introduced running via the new stations, with the other hourly service provided by diverting a Crewe to Birmingham (though I thought all the Crewe services now went through to Liverpool).

Rumours are circulating that the former will be operated by the 9 323s that aren't going to Northern.

I assume this line is already electrified?

The Planner

Veteran Member
This article suggests that a new Wolverhampton to Walsall service will be introduced running via the new stations, with the other hourly service provided by diverting a Crewe to Birmingham (though I thought all the Crewe services now went through to Liverpool).

Rumours are circulating that the former will be operated by the 9 323s that aren't going to Northern.

Yes, its electrified. It contradicts some of what I have heard in that it would be a diverted Shrewsbury serving the stations.

Mollman

Established Member

I think it is meant to be the (Euston) - Birmingham - Crewe train which was a new service between Birmingham and Wolverhampton and runs via Stoke to replace the Trent Valley stopper.

thecrofter

There’s a major challenge awaiting the station designers in getting the required overhead line to platform clearances given both proposed stations are adjacent to road overbridges!

Status
Not open for further replies.