• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwhunited

1) I've tried the Overclocker's forum for this but no responses! I'm looking for a laptop for my new apprenticeship, around £900, would like it to have the capacity to play World of Warcraft and a few other games, as well as TV shows off iplayer etc. If you know of any laptops for that, I am currently looking at this one for £800
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....ite-P750-114/1107187/toshibaShop/true/tab/3/#

2) I want to get the HTC Desire HD, does anyone own this phone and what is it like? Any problems etc.

3) I will be needing mobile broadband as it's at HMS Collingwood, I am looking at getting the £16 a month 1 month rolling contract from 3, 5gb download allowance (need 5gb or more as I will be online gaming sometimes)

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Laptop seems fine and for doing what you want to do and it will be fine for WoW, out of curiosity what other games are you thinking of playing? At £800 seems fairly reasonable you might be able to find something better but I wouldn't have said that price is a rip off or owt. I'm a bit out of the loop with laptops as I bought myself a new one 9 months or so ago and haven't kept up with the latest deals.

As for the mobile broadband just a warning that lag might be an issue depending on what speed you can get. I certainly wouldn't attempt to game on mine as I've never got a fast enough connection, normally good enough for basic browsing but using iplayer or gaming is a nono.

Rwhunited

Laptop seems fine and for doing what you want to do and it will be fine for WoW, out of curiosity what other games are you thinking of playing? At £800 seems fairly reasonable you might be able to find something better but I wouldn't have said that price is a rip off or owt. I'm a bit out of the loop with laptops as I bought myself a new one 9 months or so ago and haven't kept up with the latest deals.

As for the mobile broadband just a warning that lag might be an issue depending on what speed you can get. I certainly wouldn't attempt to game on mine as I've never get a fast enough connection.

Command and Conquer Generals, Children of the Nile, might start StarCraft. Also i'm with TalkTalk home broadband at the moment and that is fine for WoW and i'm loosing intrest in WoW so I might just give it up...

chris89

Established Member
The laptop seems fine for what you want to use it for :)

I haven't got a desire HD, but i was until i saw the Incredible S that has an ever so slightly smaller screen 4" instead of 4.3" but uses the latest verison of android and batter life is miles better.

Longest mine hasn't been on charge for is 2 days 16 hours, shortest time 12hrs :s

Chris

Rwhunited

The laptop seems fine for what you want to use it for :)

I haven't got a desire HD, but i was until i saw the Incredible S that has an ever so slightly smaller screen 4" instead of 4.3" but uses the latest verison of android and batter life is miles better.

Longest mine hasn't been on charge for is 2 days 16 hours, shortest time 12hrs :s

Chris

So do you have the HD or S?

mbonwick

Established Member
I dunno how much of an issue price is, but you can save yourself a load if you go for an i5 rather than an i7

Core i7 only sees a noticeable performance 'edge' if you're doing a lot of complex video encoding or similar.

Daimler

Established Member
As far as 2) goes, I can recommend HTC very strongly. I have the original Desire and it is very nearly faultless.

Rwhunited

I dunno how much of an issue price is, but you can save yourself a load if you go for an i5 rather than an i7

Core i7 only sees a noticeable performance 'edge' if you're doing a lot of complex video encoding or similar.

Its the same price as the i5 as there is a discount at Currys :)

SS4

Established Member
As far as 2) goes, I can recommend HTC very strongly. I have the original Desire and it is very nearly faultless.

I can vouch for that (especially with cm7 installed) but I have heard that the Desire is better than it's HD brother and has significantly better battery life.

Rwhunited

No. There is the Desire, Desire HD, Desire Z and Desire S.

If I were choosing I'd pick the Desire Z simply because it has a physical keyboard

I need it on t-mobile to ring my girlfriend, and the only 2 on t-mobile are HD and S

class156

As with quite a lot of people on this thread I can also vouch for HTC phones as I have a Wildfire S and it's an amazing phone.

deltic1989

Established Member
HTCs are great phones I'm typeing this message on a wildfire s not as big as the disire but just as clever
As far as mobile boadband goes as said i would forget gaming and iplayer you will never get a good enough speed. I trained a collingwood when i was in the navy a lot of fond memories, best of luck shipmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.