• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Thameslink logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe the branding they wanted was affected by staff shortages at the design agency or over running engineering work (a longer than expected Photoshop update) that meant they switched to MS Paint.

Jonathan/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with others who have said this is a missed opportunity to create unified branding showing each separate route all as part of the same train company.

Also agreed. I liked the family of brands, and hoped they'd do a red version for GatEx and a green version for Southern. But I do quite like "families of brands" of that kind generally.

That said, I spotted a GatEx unit on test at Crewe today, and the livery really does look smart - mind you I've always liked DB Regio Verkehrsrot (always had a bit of a secret hope they'd rebrand Arriva to those colours, looking unlikely now though), and it's near enough that!

Amusingly the PIS was set up as a service to Wembley Central calling at Dover Priory, Ramsgate, Bletchley, Leighton Buzzard and then all stations to Wembley Central. A few very confused looking onlookers :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Plus the new logo is terrible and is basically a forward slash at the end of a word.

With apologies to MJ Hibbett singing about Midland Mainline: "Gents will be forward-slash with backslash the new name for the ladies'..." :)

I was hoping Southern might adopt a GTR logo with a green bit underneath, but they've instead gone in completely the opposite direction.

Yes, me too. The Southern livery is looking a little dated to me, but I think would be improved with the quite friendly "riband" logo even if the actual livery was left as it is.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
That said, I spotted a GatEx unit on test at Crewe today, and the livery really does look smart - mind you I've always liked DB Regio Verkehrsrot (always had a bit of a secret hope they'd rebrand Arriva to those colours, looking unlikely now though), and it's near enough that!

I saw the new GatEx livery and branding on a service at Vic the other day and the white lettering is bloody awful. I couldve done better with someone elses crayons.

bicbasher

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of the Gatwick Express logo. The Southern one looks dated, but isn't as annoying as the GatEx one.

DelayRepay

Established Member
It was probably a franchise commitment.

...like employing enough staff to operate the train service and maintaining the trains so they don't break down? (having suffered breakdowns in the core during the morning peak on Tuesday and yesterday, and a breakdown at Radlett yesterday evening)...?

Taunton

Established Member
having suffered breakdowns in the core during the morning peak on Tuesday and yesterday
As ever. When are they going to be required to put a manned standby locomotive on a siding at Farringdon in the peaks to cover such issues.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was probably a franchise commitment.

It wasn't in the public version of the ITT. The only specific thing was that Gatwick Express had to have its own branding. Any decision about the other 3 sub-brands appears to have been GTR's own.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of the Gatwick Express logo. The Southern one looks dated, but isn't as annoying as the GatEx one.

The Southern one was designed to look dated as it was supposed to be reminiscent of the heyday of the Southern Railway - oh, how Herbert Walker must be spinning in his grave!

physics34

Established Member
I saw the new GatEx livery and branding on a service at Vic the other day and the white lettering is bloody awful. I couldve done better with someone elses crayons.

anyone couldve cooked that up in 10 mins. A shambles. Everything is so half hearted now. Would like an "aeroplane" symbol as part of the livery in some way.

AlexNL

Established Member
with a horrible capitalized L in the middle for some terrible reason.

The only thing I can think of is so they can work the National Rail abbreviations into their logo and livery. 3 out of 4 TSGN companies now have it: there's the huge GX on GatEx, GN is in the Great Northern logo and on TL they simply abbreviated the L.

The only thing left is to tweak the Southern logo a bit, by shrinking the 'outher' part of it. Or, I dunno... making the S and the N italic.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
anyone couldve cooked that up in 10 mins. A shambles. Everything is so half hearted now. Would like an "aeroplane" symbol as part of the livery in some way.

I dunno, I like it. It's classy, modern and bold, all at the same time.

But as I said I'm a fan of DB Verkehrsrot, which is a very similar scheme.

jon0844

Veteran Member

When they paid for the Thameslink/ logo, I think they got the GX one for free.

On Moderation
The only thing left is to tweak the Southern logo a bit, by shrinking the 'outher' part of it. Or, I dunno... making the S and the N italic.

Or change it to SoutherN?

sonic2009

Established Member
I think this version i've just made up looks snazzy, although don't expect to see it on the side of a class 700 :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• My Thameslink Logo.png
    My Thameslink Logo.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 97

phoenixcronin

I made this one up now

Edit: That's the Thames btw lol

Attachments

• Thameslink.jpg
    Thameslink.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Via Bank

If we're playing this game… <D

NfWhuTK.png

Charles Horton, if you're reading, I accept payment in cheque, cash, and Nectar points.

superalbs

Established Member
I made one! It really suits the Class 700s.

Attachments

• temlinc.png
    temlinc.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 79
  • temlincsvenhunded.jpg
    temlincsvenhunded.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
Th me ink /

"We are sorry the 08:07 to Sevenoaks is cancelled. This is due to a shortage of letters. Please remember to claim Delay Repay."

jon0844

Veteran Member
Clearly you lot have spent more time on these alternative logos than GTR did!

Status
Not open for further replies.