• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New ticket barriers at Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Expectation that most paper tickets (CCST or bogroll) will henceforth have scannable AZTEC codes on them?

Once the TfL issue is resolved CCST is likely to die very quickly indeed.

With those gates I'd be more concerned about the phone slot not being suitable for some phones e.g. very large ones.

Edvid

Established Member
^ Ideally the barcode reader installation at London termini (LU) and shared LU/NR stations would be sorted first, but judging by the latest TRU issue that saga looks to be a long way from being sorted. Back on topic though...

Any ticket barrier on the GB rail network that isn't a Cubic product (P / E1 / E2) is a rare breed.

Those particular gates are manufactured by Vix Technology (see this post on the South Wales Metro thread for another picture if Twitter X isn't to your liking).

21 February 2023, Cambridge, UK – Transport for Wales are set to become the first train operator outside of London to deliver contactless EMV ticketing in heavy rail when they partner with Vix Technology to launch a new smart gate pilot programme.

The pilot programme will launch with the first gate being tested and proof of concept taking place in Newport in Spring 2023. The new gates promise fast installation, flexible passenger zones and opportunities for optimized passenger information. Passenger benefits also include pay-as-you-go travelling using gates and platform validators provided by Vix Technology.

[etc]

Parallel

Established Member
I saw one of these at Newport station a couple of months ago! Seems they are being trialled in a few areas. I wonder how many people tap their bank card then get on a train to London…

Starmill

Veteran Member

With those gates I'd be more concerned about the phone slot not being suitable for some phones e.g. very large ones.
It's not really a slot though, it's literally a barcode scanner the same as on a self checkout machine in Tesco.

^ Ideally the barcode reader installation at London termini (LU) and shared LU/NR stations would be sorted first, but judging by the latest TRU issue that saga looks to be a long way from being sorted. Back on topic though...

Any ticket barrier on the GB rail network that isn't a Cubic product (P / E1 / E2) is a rare breed.

Those particular gates are manufactured by Vix Technology (see this post on the South Wales Metro thread for another picture if Twitter X isn't to your liking).

The S&B ticket gate is relatively common too. Glasgow Subway, Tyne & Wear Metro, LNER and some Northern gatelines. Not as common as the Cubic ones of course. They were recently replaced at Leeds with Cubic gates, and of course Durham, Newark North Gate and Grantham lost their gates completely.

RJ

Established Member
I make a beeline for those barriers at Central as it’s quicker to get out of the station using them. They’re not in everyone’s line of sight.

vicbury

These totally threw me off for a second during my commute on Monday morning as the only reader that was immediately obvious was the contactless reader. The scanner for mobile tickets is on the front of the unit facing ahead, rather than facing upwards as on all other barriers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
These totally threw me off for a second during my commute on Monday morning as the only reader that was immediately obvious was the contactless reader. The scanner for mobile tickets is on the front of the unit facing ahead, rather than facing upwards as on all other barriers.

Facing down might be easier to align with if like the Amazon lockers it projects a line to align with the barcode?

vicbury

Facing down might be easier to align with if like the Amazon lockers it projects a line to align with the barcode?
I'll try again when I'm not half asleep and report back! Once I'd realised that they weren't for contactless only, it seemed to read the mobile ticket as quickly, if not quicker, than the standard barriers.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Worth noting that the card reader seems to only handle Contactless, and not ITSO. Either that or I was just unlucky with my staff pass, which worked fine on the Cubic gates.

SWML9102

Worth noting that the card reader seems to only handle Contactless, and not ITSO. Either that or I was just unlucky with my staff pass, which worked fine on the Cubic gates.
I have same issue - won't work the new barriers with ITSO season ticket. Staff initially though was because Cardiff Central wasn't origin or destination on season, but apparently have now changed to accept intermediate stations but still doesn't work.

Class800

Established Member

such as a laptop? It's big enough. Suppose comes down a bit to viewpoint - should we make technology to suit the size people might want their phone to be or decide a size and people have to fit within it.

Status
Not open for further replies.