• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New - Trainee drivers MTR Crossrail Plumstead Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
With respect you're obviously entitled to your opinion that it's better for new drivers to have previous railway experience, but that is quite an old fashioned view nowadays and I'm not sure it's supported by any evidence.

I find the total opposite. In my experience; the internals tend to have more issues that externals. When you do have railway experience you see the railway from the "what happens in reality" viewpoint and often carry a fair bit of baggage. I think the predispositions some have, can negatively affect their training.

Again, that's a sweeping generalisation. Some of the internals I've seen go through have been superb candidates. At my TOC's training school one of the new trainers was originally platform staff. Now they are a Trainer up the school. I would say her experience has helped her along the way.

There is a level playing field. Clearly some candidates may have some insider knowledge and some have skills in certain places where they excel. No doubt those with a retail background may have good customer service skills and those with a legal background may be good with rules, regs and policies etc.

You have to play to your strengths and be flexible about your weaknesses. What are you good at and how that can be applied is something interviewers are looking for. Identifying where you lack knowledge or need help is just as important.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TylerDurden

Good luck to all who apply!

I'm starting as a trainee with MTR in a couple of weeks, having applied in October 2015, so be prepared for a long application process. It'll be well worth the wait though!

Bet you can't wait to get started already. I'm due to start in October so still a long way to go for me yet.

Last edited:

djsmith200

Did you notice that on the OPC assessment it asked if you lived within 40min of old oak common and not plumstead?

I clicked 'yes' anyway in the hope they realise the mistake?!

says got to live within 40mins from plumstead which is stopping me applying

Zavvy

Hello

I recently applied for the MTR crossrail in abbey wood, I have just completed my stage 2 online questionnaire, I noticed that they have asked if u have failed the MTR or any other uk rail organisation assessment twice or more since 2013, I have and was just wondering if this would hinder my chances because I have never seen that question asked before?

Gekko5154

@Zavy, to my understanding if you have failed at any stage of the assessment twice (not including the DMI) then you can no longer apply to be a train driver unless they change the assessments in which case you can apply and sit the assessment again.

Zavvy

@Zavy, to my understanding if you have failed at any stage of the assessment twice (not including the DMI) then you can no longer apply to be a train driver unless they change the assessments in which case you can apply and sit the assessment again.

I failed MTR standard but passed national standard for MTR inn2015. and I failed GTR assessment at national standard in 2016. so I am allowed one more try as the MTR wasn't considered a strike if u get what I mean

Londonirish

HI all, just joined the site, and also just applied for the plumstead crossrail depot as a traine train driver, thanks for all the advice and all of the posts they do help as i am a new to applying to the rain industry. thank good luck all

iWantIn

Has anyone heard back from the stage 1 questionnaire? anyone doing the vse sje?

iWantIn

How long did it take for them to get back to you with the SJE & VSE after you did the initial stage 1 Questionnaire?

NickR

They do say wait up to 20 working days after completing that first stage. So probably late February at the earliest.

Knowledgeboy

Received an email yesterday stating I have proceeded onto the next stage. 7days to complete a SJT test and and a visual test on line. Good luck guys!

iWantIn

ok. Good. hopefully they start getting back to people this week about the SJT VSE.

Knowledgeboy

Completed stage 3 on line VSE and SJT this morning. First off SJT, fairly straightforward but the questions are more towards general work/life scenarios. I always find these scenarios are not always as straightforward as they appear at first. VSE I feel I could perhaps of done better on the third multitasking test. Definitely at least ten errors on there. Very easy to get flustered and lose concentration. Anyway keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Has anybody else done stage 3 and heard back yet?

Davysera

Hi guys

Do you remember how many simbols every column has in second part?
3 or 4?
And how they look like?

dodge79

Hi guys and girls.
Completed stage 3 last Monday, don't think I done that great. You wont hear back yet as the closing date was 10th February at 1700. You will receive feedback within 10 days of the closing date.

There are 2 rows of 8 symbols.

JoDo

received an email yesterday saying I passed stage 1 and due to me having done all sjt and assessments with London Overground I am straight to DMI interview. Anybody else get this?

NickR

My mate got his e-mail today saying he failed the VSE. I'm still waiting to hear. Out of interest when you completed the online assessments did you guys get an e-mail confirming you completed them? I just got a window saying I'd hear within ten days and that was it.

Knowledgeboy

My mate got his e-mail today saying he failed the VSE. I'm still waiting to hear. Out of interest when you completed the online assessments did you guys get an e-mail confirming you completed them? I just got a window saying I'd hear within ten days and that was it.

Same email for me today too. Passed SJT but failed the visual. I done the test Thursday and did not receive email confirmation just that I would hear back within ten days. Absolutely gutted. Just gonna have to try harder next time.

Davysera

received an email yesterday saying I passed stage 1 and due to me having done all sjt and assessments with London Overground I am straight to DMI interview. Anybody else get this?

It is a very good idea to sign the contract/ you know which one/ if you haven't yet!
And do not try to sit on two chairs at once!
Good luck!

JoDo

Yes that is true my contract has been signed and posted off yesterday ( you know which one ) but don't 4get I had applied for this before I knew I was going to get an offer. As the saying goes don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.
I was just curious if anybody else got the same email. Will withdraw my application with MTR when I can figure out how, the web page is not very user friendly

dodge79

Morning all.
Just received an email confirming that I was successful at the CJT's and VSE's and have an assessment day. whoop.

Termak

Morning all.
Just received an email confirming that I was successful at the CJT's and VSE's and have an assessment day. whoop.

Hi..congrats. are we going to be at the same assessment on the 13th of April? Just got an email today as well. I hope I'll get this, even though I'll be taking a pay cut in the first year..I'll be happy to join MTR. Passed my AC1 for tube T/Op... Anyone knows if MTR assessments are more difficult?

Sotac464

His guy's new here. I too received an email today inviting me too the assessment day which is a week Monday. I work full time at the moment and it doesn't give me much time too practice. Do you think I could call the opc and maybe refer to a later date? Any help would be most welcome.

Termak

His guy's new here. I too received an email today inviting me too the assessment day which is a week Monday. I work full time at the moment and it doesn't give me much time too practice. Do you think I could call the opc and maybe refer to a later date? Any help would be most welcome.

Wish there was a way to swap, got mine on the 13th of April but am ready to go anytime. Guess calling them will be the best option, sure they can give you another date.

The1

Morning all.

Congrats I too have an appointment for assessment day but on the 12th April

Good Luck Everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.