• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains cab ends not painted yellow.

L+Y

I've always thought yellow ends just make a train British. It's an odd psychological thing- I've no real interest in any stock without yellow ends, as to me it just comes across as a bus/tram/foreign!

Totally totally illogical, but then there's no logic in rail enthusiasm! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benters

I've always thought yellow ends just make a train British. It's an odd psychological thing- I've no real interest in any stock without yellow ends, as to me it just comes across as a bus/tram/foreign!

Totally agree, being born in the early 1960s , I've grown up used to seeing yellow ends on British rolling stock. To me, new-build rolling stock without yellow ends just doesn't seem 'right'.
Yellow ends have also been applied to trains in New Zealand, Australia, India, Thailand, and even the CSX Railroads in the USA.

ZL exile

Indeed. I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer to my question of why 35028 'Clan Line' is able to run on the main line with its relatively low-intensity marker lights only, when all other steam locos I can think of have a detachable, high-intensity headlight. I'm very glad it does, but I can't get to the bottom of the reason.

I imagine that the plan is for a national livery, or at least it should be for a national network. Undoing all the damaging disintegration caused by privatisation is going to take a very long time, but a return to a unified livery would be an obvious element of re-integration.
I think you will find that Clan Line has all of the necessary reflectors and LED equipment for the headlight fitted into a standard Bulleid headlight so that externally the appearance of the locomotive is maintained whilst achieving the necessary group standard.

irish_rail

On Moderation

Illogical perhaps, but I reckon there are a fair few of us who would agree! Non yellow fronts certainly make me think of metro/tram/coaching stock. The total opposite of intercity trains.

Lockwood

Totally agree, being born in the early 1960s , I've grown up used to seeing yellow ends on British rolling stock. To me, new-build rolling stock without yellow ends just doesn't seem 'right'.
Yellow ends have also been applied to trains in New Zealand, Australia, India, Thailand, and even the CSX Railroads in the USA.
I still think of "British train front" as a yellow filled upside down U shape, black upside down U shape corridor connector, and two scrolling number reels.

Childhood memories there as well.

I imagine that the plan is for a national livery, or at least it should be for a national network. Undoing all the damaging disintegration caused by privatisation is going to take a very long time, but a return to a unified livery would be an obvious element of re-integration.
I doubt that. It would take a very long time to repaint every national rail train in the country, and would likely cause confusion for passengers who are so used to the split operators. I think they'll keep the liveries and split it into regions, for example "GBR South West", "GBR Southern", "GBR North"

Established Member
Are they? Which ones are you referring to because I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Not entirely accurate, but this is what I've seen.

Via Rail Canada (most)
Sydney Trains (most)
Queensland Rail
PTV Victoria (most)
Auckland
Wellington
Thai Railways (some)
Malaysia
Canada
Portugal
Nederlandse Spoorwegen
SNCB
MAV Hungary (some)
Croatia (about half)
Long Island Railroad
Mumbai Suburban Railway
LA Metro Rail & Underground

..and others

Indeed, the last one (LA), which happily confesses to borrowing the exact Manchester Metrolink dots logo, said they chose the popular scheme to make the trains appear bright, modern and visible to staff, passengers and road users. Perhaps the real paint job we should be demanding is the multi coloured external passenger door mess be painted back the right colour and LED lights added above them as a safe alternative.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I doubt that. It would take a very long time to repaint every national rail train in the country, and would likely cause confusion for passengers who are so used to the split operators. I think they'll keep the liveries and split it into regions, for example "GBR South West", "GBR Southern", "GBR North"
Or they could just put the double-arrow symbol on everything GBR and leave it at that.
Regions will take time to unfold (with the NR structure complicating matters).
The OLR TOCs don't really form a "region".
TfW, Scotrail, Merseyrail and the TfL TOCs (LO, EL) aren't going to change.

Or they could just put the double-arrow symbol on everything GBR and leave it at that.
Regions will take time to unfold (with the NR structure complicating matters).
The OLR TOCs don't really form a "region".
TfW, Scotrail, Merseyrail and the TfL TOCs (LO, EL) aren't going to change.
Yes that's a possibility too. Just leave it as it is, simplify ticketing but leave the liveries the same, spend that time on improving the actual service

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It would take a very long time to repaint every national rail train in the country, and would likely cause confusion for passengers who are so used to the split operators.
How long after 1948 did it take for the Big Four liveries to disappear?

In the Rail Blue era (introduced in 1965), seeing a green loco or maroon coaches was unusual by about 1972. I think the Holyhead 01s retained their original black livery until withdrawal in 1981

Gloster

Established Member
As someone who occasionally had to spend time in a yard in all weathers and occasionally after dark (albeit long ago), I would much prefer motive-power to be clearly identifiable. If someone starts hooting you need to be able to immediately identify which vehicles might be moving and whether you are the one they are hooting at. (Yes, I know that nowadays there are all sorts of restrictions on moving about anywhere near the track, but rules can’t apply to every situation.)

When Heathrow Express was to be launched back in 1997, an attempt was made to ditch the yellow warning ends on the front of their Class 332 units, but this was against the Railway Group Standard. So HEx had to add yellow ends to the front of the trains.

Similar story for the Class 150/2 Sprinters upon their introduction back in 1986, when the front ends were to be matching grey with just the connecting doors yellow, but this quickly changed to full yellow fronts.

Western 52

Some 150/2s were actually outshopped with grey ends. I saw some new at York station. They were not yet in service. Did any actually run without full yellow ends?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Some 150/2s were actually outshopped with grey ends. I saw some new at York station. They were not yet in service. Did any actually run without full yellow ends?

Yes, although the connecting doors were yellow which was initially deemed sufficient however this was very short-lived and yellow ends were soon applied.

BrianW

Established Member
Yes, although the connecting doors were yellow which was initially deemed sufficient however this was very short-lived and yellow ends were soon applied.
If the Yellow fronts were a safety matter (and full yellow more so than small yellow panels;or 'wasp stripes?)) is/was there evidence demonstrating improved safety? A small price to pay for trackworker safety.

Tangentially, I thought there was value in the yellow stripe indicating First Class; and Red for catering facility

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Tangentially, I thought there was value in the yellow stripe indicating First Class; and Red for catering facility
That is, I understand, a UIC requirement. However, most designers of liveries for British TOCs seem to think they know better, to the bemusement of intending passengers, who are expected to know each TOC's own code.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That is, I understand, a UIC requirement. However, most designers of liveries for British TOCs seem to think they know better, to the bemusement of intending passengers, who are expected to know each TOC's own code.
Interesting, as didn't this originate with a British company (GER maybe)?

How long after 1948 did it take for the Big Four liveries to disappear?

In the Rail Blue era (introduced in 1965), seeing a green loco or maroon coaches was unusual by about 1972. I think the Holyhead 01s retained their original black livery until withdrawal in 1981
Sure but it's quite a different scene these days. There are lots more different types of rolling stock, all require the livery to be designed for them. There's also a mix of full vinyl livery, half vinyls and majority paint liveries. I really don't think they'd want to go to all that trouble for it to not really return much benefit

Elecman

Established Member
I think there is a certain charm to the yellow front which gives a certain British feel to it, but as far as safety is concerned I do question whether or not there is actual solid evidence to suggest they make railway operations safer. I know yellow is more visible in low-light conditions than other colours but when a train is approaching from far away how likely are you to actually see it before it comes close enough where it can actually be determined as a moving train?

Are they? Which ones are you referring to because I can't think of any off the top of my head.
On good straight track I can see a yellow front at well over a couple of miles

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Sure but it's quite a different scene these days. There are lots more different types of rolling stock, all require the livery to be designed for them. There's also a mix of full vinyl livery, half vinyls and majority paint liveries. I really don't think they'd want to go to all that trouble for it to not really return much benefit
I think tghe main difference would be how long a vehicle goes between overhauls or whatever else triggers repainting. In the 1960s and 1970s I think visits to Works were more frequent and thus it would take less time to repaint the entire fleet.

Harvey B

As the Famous saying goes: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Liveries and branding/Logos aren't really the issue, and you can have a Nationalised Railway Operation that takes on the same distinct regional and local Branding as they did in Privatisation.

Let's not forget that British Rail was split up into so many Brands and identities too, So why can't the present day rail Network?

irish_rail

On Moderation
Let's not forget that British Rail was split up into so many Brands and identities too, So why can't the present day rail Network?
Why? Because it creates a confusing mess. Some livery variation is fine, but I suspect we will end up with as another poster suggested , just slapping a logo on everything in a small corner by the door and that will be the re brand. The current ugly mish mash will continue. Good for enthusiasts perhaps, less so for creating the sense of a joined up , smart and efficient rail system.

jan5468

That all falls apart if you lose all lights as in the derailment near Grange over Sands. Had that occured during winter there would have been a train blocking the adjacent line with no lights in the dark and no yellow front.

It was purely luck the signal went back to danger as a semaphore cable was cut by the accident. Driver has no Comms either due to the imbecilic decision to not fit GSMR with a dedicated battery back up (though that's

That all falls apart if you lose all lights as in the derailment near Grange over Sands. Had that occured during winter there would have been a train blocking the adjacent line with no lights in the dark and no yellow front
Was a 195 that do have yellow fronts

Class15

On Moderation
Why? Because it creates a confusing mess. Some livery variation is fine, but I suspect we will end up with as another poster suggested , just slapping a logo on everything in a small corner by the door and that will be the re brand. The current ugly mish mash will continue. Good for enthusiasts perhaps, less so for creating the sense of a joined up , smart and efficient rail system.
Agreed, Blue and Blue & Grey were very simple and effective.

Meerkat

Established Member
What is confusing about different liveries?!
I don’t remember rail blue ever giving me the impression of a smart or efficient railway!
More it being a dull, scruffy, blob of a distress purchase, and a large whiff of the dead hand of the state.
Varied liveries give local ownership, and look like the operator wants to attract you.

Anyway getting back to yellow fronts….
The high intensity lights don’t seem that bright from the trackside, and it’s well known that it’s hard to judge the distance and speed of lights (think of pulling out of a side turning looking at headlights rather than cars).
When on the ends of platforms I have noticed that it’s far easier to tell where a train is and which one is moving when you can see a big yellow front, rather than just dazzling lights in the distance.

On Moderation
When on the ends of platforms I have noticed that it’s far easier to tell where a train is and which one is moving when you can see a big yellow front, rather than just dazzling lights in the distance.
I disagree. When on the platform, the lights are visible well before the front end custard.

irish_rail

On Moderation
What is confusing about different liveries?!
I don’t remember rail blue ever giving me the impression of a smart or efficient railway!
More it being a dull, scruffy, blob of a distress purchase, and a large whiff of the dead hand of the state.
Varied liveries give local ownership, and look like the operator wants to attract you.

Anyway getting back to yellow fronts….
The high intensity lights don’t seem that bright from the trackside, and it’s well known that it’s hard to judge the distance and speed of lights (think of pulling out of a side turning looking at headlights rather than cars).
I agree with your second paragraph, these high density headlights are a menace frankly, especially if you accidentally look directly at them . Very dazzling. There have been several things put out ensuring drivers use dimmed lights after dark. As you say, it's also far harder to judge distance from an overly bright light compared with a yellow front and slightly less bright light.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There isn't much sign of conformity to a common brand on the state-owned railways on the continent.
Every region wants its own place in the sun with a unique brand, plus all the commercial adverts on top.
I think France has 13 TERs, Germany has 16 states/Länder with their own operators, and Italy has 20 regioni.
Plus the city/metro systems working across their piece, all wanting to promote their control and funding powers over local service provision.
Then there are the OA operators and freight with their own brands (even if they are owned by other state railways).

Trenitalia spends a fortune sponsoring the Giro di Italia, and as part of that manages to position a lilac-coloured EMU alongside the race for TV photo-ops.
All no doubt money from the public purse.
And no yellow ends in sight.

Last edited: