• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Virgin East Coast Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The new booking engine is (I believe) Vix / SilverRail (I am happy to be corrected!). The old booking engine was Worldline (Atos spun off Worldline as a separate entity some years ago).

Which TIS supplier provides it has no bearing on the legal entity that you are entering into a contract with. In both cases it's Virgin Trains East Coast (or whatever their correct legal name is).
When the East Coast franchise / directly operated service was replaced by the Virgin Trains East Coast Service, that was of course a change of legal entity that you, as a customer, were contracting with, and permission should have been sought to transfer your data from one to the other.

Unusually, it wasn't actually a change of legal entity - the TOC was and remains the "East Coast Main Line Company Ltd" under East Coast and now VTEC brands. Because of the unusual situation of DOR (a government company) owning and running the TOC, what happened when Stagecoach/Virgin took over was that the ownership of ECML Co Ltd was changed from the holding company DOR to the Stagecoach/Virgin owned holding company "Inter City Railways Limited". Though this is fairly nerdy stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The passwords being hashed should not be a barrier to transferring them. Simply transfer the salts and hashes to the new system and make the new system implement the old hashing algorithm. Over time you can migrate users to a new hashing algorithm when they next enter their password during the login process (which will happen when they next use the site if session cookies are not transferred)

alistairlees

Established Member
The passwords being hashed should not be a barrier to transferring them. Simply transfer the salts and hashes to the new system and make the new system implement the old hashing algorithm. Over time you can migrate users to a new hashing algorithm when they next enter their password during the login process (which will happen when they next use the site if session cookies are not transferred)

Yes, that's a fair point.

Griff

I also got an email about having to re-register, I'd only consider re-registering if the useful catering vouchers were included on the new site!

alistairlees

Established Member
Everyone seems to have incorrectly guessed the company actually supplying the website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought it was Vix Technology providing the booking engine? And that they use SilverRail (IPTIS) for the journey planning / fares element?

Or do you mean who designed the UI? Or the website rather than the booking engine?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The front end of the booking engine isn't provided by either of those suppliers
I think it's the back end systems that people are interested in, as that's the important stuff, and their interpretation of the routeing guide etc is what will determine what tickets it sells or doesn't sell, or what itineraries it does or doesn't offer.

(Incidentally if anyone spots differences between how booking engines behave for different fares, a private message on that subject would always be gratefully received ;))

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
There's new data protection laws coming up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40441434

The European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force in May 2018, radically changing the way organisations have to look after our personal data. Failure to comply could lead to huge fines, yet many businesses are far from ready. Here's why you should care.
What is GDPR exactly?

A new EU regulation governing how organisations should handle and protect our personal data.

Many of the stipulations are already covered by the UK's Data Protection Act; but simply put, organisations need to keep records of all personal data, be able to prove that consent was given, show where the data's going, what it's being used for, and how it's being protected.

Accountability is the new watchword.

If personal data gets stolen after a cyber-attack, companies have to report the breach within 72 hours of realising it.

And the definition of personal data has been extended to include extra categories such as your computer's IP address or your genetic make-up - anything that could be used to identify you.

Could they possibly have them new laws in mind and want to cover their arse?

SaveECRewards

I've had the same email, it all looks legit but, like you, I had a level of suspicion. I've no idea why they need to do this. I seem to remember that when VTEC took over from East Coast the accounts were transferred pretty seamlessly.

In fact the current WebTIS booking engine dates back to GNER (although it went live so close to the end of the GNER franchise that many people got emails from NXEC asking them to re-register as they seemed to want to take credit for the new site).

From what I remember GNER sent an email saying that NXEC were taking over and told you what you needed to do if you didn't want your details passed to them. If you did nothing then NXEC got your contact details, and something similar happened when EC took over. As mentioned already the transition from EC to VTEC didn't need any permission as the operating company (ECML Co Ltd) didn't change, the ownership just changed.

My personal view of this booking engine is it shouldn't go live without cycle reservations (I've noticed a few guides to taking bikes on the train refer to the EC website as a place they can book cycle reservations for operators that require them). Any TOC that requires cycle reservations really should offer them at the time of booking, so it seems wrong that a company that had this functionality would launch a replacement product without it.

As for catering vouchers, surely that's as easy to offer as the pointless London paper travelcards (which offer no benefit to the customer). A catering voucher is simply a ticket offered from a VTEC station to 'VTEC Catering' (G010)

Then there's the inability to select 'individual' seats when reserving first class seats which is useful if the seat map isn't working or you've got a trip that connects with other operators (so you can't use the map to select an individual on that leg).

SaveECRewards

Maybe because they're based in Liverpool lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They should really correct that I think, the picture that is, not being based in Liverpool ;)

Interestingly most of that article describes work which was done for East Coast before they were branded VTEC, the responsive Episerver based site was launched in late 2014.

Some may think I'm being overly critical, but I do want to see the VTEC website succeed. Let's make sure that when it goes live it doesn't have any serious limitations that are not present in the current site.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Finally got round to registering on the new VTEC site and was surprised to see that the new booking site is offering £5 each way "Hot Cakes" tickets between Leeds/ Doncaster and London for this weekend whereas the old site isn't.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Finally got round to registering on the new VTEC site and was surprised to see that the new booking site is offering £5 each way "Hot Cakes" tickets between Leeds/ Doncaster and London for this weekend whereas the old site isn't.

It is? I've been looking for those!

Looks like the ones I'd need back have gone now.

Don't seem to be able to find any First class ones.

Last edited:

TUC

Established Member
If it is like the TVM at Leeds (at which I attempted to purchase a standard day return from yesterday) then good luck to anybody attempting to use it. (I gave up after a couple minutes and purchased my ticket from the Northern TVM within a few seconds, no flapping around with selecting services).

I used one at Leeds too and got frutrated with it insisted I select a journey even though the service I wanted (Leeds-Halifax) is non-reservable. It could also mislead some passengers into thinking that their ticket is only valid on that journey.

FQTV

A few weeks into using the new site, I am increasingly annoyed by it.

Subjectively, I find the fares matrix much less easy to assess quickly, but more objectively I find that I need more clicks than the old site to achieve the same processes, and buttons which should naturally tend to be towards the right to match the concept of 'progress' are haphazardly scattered in random locations around the screens.

It probably doesn't help that I fell foul of the changeover from the old site to the new site for gift vouchers (when an order was accepted, charged and fulfilled on the old site, generating an 'old' GV code which couldn't be used on the new site, but the old site redemption functionality had already been switched off).

Now, I am finding that almost every attempted purchase on the new site is blighted with either a purchase failure - especially annoying when it's the last AP ticket, and the site doesn't release it back to sale straight away, or this sickly message (after passing AmEx SafeKey):

Oh. Awkward...

The payment system has flagged your payment for a fraud review, and has held the booking.

Hopefully it'll all be approved in a jiffy, either way you'll get an email confirmation of the booking being accepted or cancelled.

If they're taking longer than expected you can contact us

It feels like they're using some embedded third party payment system, as the CVC code box now loads some time after the payment details pages (itself frustrating and less-smooth than the old site, and (worse) uses Flash).

In any event, jiffies don't help. How long am I supposed to sit about waiting? What is a fraud review? Who's finding this awkward?

I have yet to find anything quicker, easier or better about the new site, then - and a very great deal that's worse. :roll:

Edited to add that it seems not to be reliably issuing WiFi codes for Standard bookings, but always issuing them for First bookings..... :roll: :roll:

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The new site is very poor. For example, unless you have a large screen, when presented with the list of fares, you may find yourself unable to scroll right to see the additional fares... unless you first scroll down first.

I can't see any reason to use it, other than to access VTEC's seat selector for their own services.

westv

Established Member
I can't see any reason to use it, other than to access VTEC's seat selector for their own services.

The seat selector didn't work for me when I tried so I sent them an email about it. The auto reply said I'd get a reply within 3 working days. 7 working days later I've heard nothing.
I'd like to know how long we have before they force us to use this monstrosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.