• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New XC contract - news & updates (not speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The Cardiff to Edinburgh service puzzles me. Realistically, given cost and time, there will be precious few passengers travelling between the two capital cities given cheaper fares will be available from Bristol Airport (Loganair from Cardiff appears rather more expensive than Easyjet from Bristol.)

So what will the one train a day achieve? There's already good connectivity as far as Derby with the hourly XC service. One through train to the Yorkshire and the North East would appear a rather limited improvement, that's hardly likely to excite the South Wales travelling public when there's a reasonable hourly service with cross platform connection at Bristol Parkway (and of course, from west of Cardiff that one change will still be required, whether at Cardiff or Bristol Parkway).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I think they were more referring to the fact that only 7 are coming over, when XC really could use most, if not all, of the ex-Avanti 221s to combat their capacity issues (GC transfers aside)

Yes a TOC can always use extra trains but if the finances don’t add up treasury is never going to approve. 7 extra trains is still an improvement. I really can’t get my head round this well why don’t they just take the other 13 because they exist. That’s not how business cases work!

dk1

Veteran Member
Doesn’t Cardiff to Edinburgh just mean starting 1S35 back from Cardiff (reversing Bristol) as has happened with previous Cardiff starters in the last few years? Was there any mention of a return working?

mp01

The Cardiff to Edinburgh service puzzles me. Realistically, given cost and time, there will be precious few passengers travelling between the two capital cities given cheaper fares will be available from Bristol Airport (Loganair from Cardiff appears rather more expensive than Easyjet from Bristol.)

So what will the one train a day achieve? There's already good connectivity as far as Derby with the hourly XC service. One through train to the Yorkshire and the North East would appear a rather limited improvement, that's hardly likely to excite the South Wales travelling public when there's a reasonable hourly service with cross platform connection at Bristol Parkway (and of course, from west of Cardiff that one change will still be required, whether at Cardiff or Bristol Parkway).
And generally quicker and cheaper to take the Marches line and change at Crewe.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes a TOC can always use extra trains but if the finances don’t add up treasury is never going to approve. 7 extra trains is still an improvement. I really can’t get my head round this well why don’t they just take the other 13 because they exist. That’s not how business cases work!
Business cases for XC appear to be based on the principle that rammed trains which leave passengers behind are acceptable and any additional capacity to meaningfully address this will never pass any economic test. Which is strange given the whole long list of additional rolling stock authorisations over recent years to address capacity issues elsewhere on the network.

Ayman Ilham

Plus, it's probably faster going via the WCML changing at Crewe (TfW via Marches) or B'ham (XC) for the Avanti service anyway.
And generally quicker and cheaper to take the Marches line and change at Crewe.
Oh look, someone beat me to it :lol:
Wouldn't there be just 3 left cos Grand Central are planning to take 10 (2 down, 8 to go) of them?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which is strange given the whole long list of additional rolling stock authorisations over recent years to address capacity issues elsewhere on the network.
Which rolling stock authorisations to address capacity have been made since March 2020? XC missed out in the past admittedly but this seems to be a different era, where managing potential increases in cost is important.

Russel

Of the 5 HST sets that have been lost, how many were in use on a regular basis towards the end, 2 sets a day?

So, 7 trains replacing 2 looks like an improvement to me.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Which rolling stock authorisations to address capacity have been made since March 2020? XC missed out in the past admittedly but this seems to be a different era.
None I can think of. As you admit XC has missed out in the past when others benefitted, and still suffers from chronic overcrowding, this being exacerbated since May with the reduction in capacity on the Reading - Birmingham corridor.

But I guess your point is that since 2020 the game has changed and the Treasury will no longer authorise any additional rolling stock anywhere to address capacity issues as they arise. After all, it suits the government's obvious agenda to make rail travel less attractive and move people onto roads (and helicopters).

What a way to run a railway!

Bartsimho

Sorry I don’t follow.

I can only think you mean politically with the election looming.
Yeah. Election in about a year. Then the next government are tied into the contract until late in the 5 year cycle and they would be unable to improve it that fast for the follow up. Turning XC around would be a really good win for the next government but with the contract lengths it would likely not have been improved but be in Government hands by the following election

Doctor Fegg

Established Member

So what will the one train a day achieve?
A nice line in a press release and an opportunity for a Government minister to say "we are improving connectivity between the nations of the UK"? I wouldn't give it any more substance than that.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Why is leaving a tiny sub fleet the DfTs problem? They didn’t buy them or own them, that’s the ROSCO’s problem.
If you run a business and want to lease 4 vans from a van hire company you don’t ask them how many they have left over and the decide you are going to lease 5 because you don’t want the van hire company to be left with just one!
DfT and XC have obviously done their calculations and worked out 7 is what is affordable at this time and it’s 7 more than many of us have expected, you can’t take on more trains than the money available to pay the lease.
The analogy beaks down somewhat when you figure that all of the "vans" can only be used on your (DfT) business (with one TOC or another), or possibly on the one open access TOC that runs 125mph trains off the wires.
So DfT may have another plan to use the 13 spare Voyagers, or it will let the Rosco sweat as it's at their risk.
The Rosco (Beacon Rail) has at least got some lease revenue and the refurbishment contract, and there are no maintenance complications.

jamieh27

They'll get additional 7x 221s to start and then maybe lateron (possibly next year) when Avanti have their 805s and 807s ready they can withdraw all their 221s and they could go to XC.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
They'll get additional 7x 221s to start and then maybe lateron (possibly next year) when Avanti have their 805s and 807s ready they can withdraw all their 221s and they could go to XC.
You can be sure that if that was the intention then it would have been in the press release. Ministers wouldn't miss an opportunity like that to trumpet a potential improvement even if it's a year or so away (indeed, I doubt the 7 sets will be released until the 805/807s are ready anyway).

skyhigh

Established Member
Wouldn't there be just 3 left cos Grand Central are planning to take 10 (2 down, 8 to go) of them?
GC have said nothing at all on the subject of taking any further 221s so any guess they're taking 8 more is complete speculation.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
You can be sure that if that was the intention then it would have been in the press release. Ministers wouldn't miss an opportunity like that to trumpet a potential improvement even if it's a year or so away (indeed, I doubt the 7 sets will be released until the 805/807s are ready anyway).
Avanti are using all but 4 of their 221s today (According to RTT) so they will indeed some replacement first.
The first 805s will probably be in service quite a bit before the last 807s.

170UTD

Yes, only having 3 units go to storage doesn't make a lot of sense to me, you'd have thought GC would want an extra 2 and XC and extra 1 (or vice versa). However, many people know more about the financial side of things than me.
Unless they're kept by AWC for cover?
Side note: is there an exact date for the 805s/807s entering service?

Spaceship323

Yes, only having 3 units go to storage doesn't make a lot of sense to me, you'd have thought GC would want an extra 2 and XC and extra 1 (or vice versa). However, many people know more about the financial side of things than me.
Unless they're kept by AWC for cover?
Side note: is there an exact date for the 805s/807s entering service?
No, Grand Central are taking 10 vehicles, NOT 10 units (I.e. 2x 5 car 221's)

xotGD

Established Member
It makes economic sense to have crush loaded trains while perfectly good stock is sitting off lease in a siding somewhere.

Unfortunately.

greyman42

Established Member
No mention of seats being replaced just new LED lightning, CCTV, passenger counting equipment and new carpets.
Do you mean the whole seat frame or just the re-upholstery of the current squab and back?
The seats are relatively comfortable by modern standards so a re-upholstery would be fine.
On another query, are we going to get a meaningful service between Newcastle and the south east?

anthony263

Established Member
Still no charging facilities proposed for the Class 170s. Unacceptable for the long distances they cover such as Cardiff - Nottingham and Birmingham - Cambridge/Stansted Airport.
I agree its a bloody pain when I'm on them from Cardiff to Birmingham New Street and from New Street to South Wigston

D6130

Established Member
Did any other companies bid for the renewed Cross Country franchise? Given the current situation within the industry - and its relationship with the government/DfT - I would be very surprised if they did.

dk1

Veteran Member
Did any other companies bid for the renewed Cross Country franchise? Given the current situation within the industry - and its relationship with the government/DfT - I would be very surprised if they did.

It’s not a franchise competition just an extension. Those take years and are very expensive.

waterboo

I imagine the rather lacklustre uptake of ex AWC 221 will partially be driven by the additional costs incurred by ensuring that each unit on a double set has a Train Manager present. I can understand the economical sense of crush loading a single set as opposed to the not insignificant cost of recruiting and training additional Train Managers - unless an agreement could be negotiated per LNER for retail managers to be upskilled in basic guarding of a unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.